Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Hey Mas1981 let me know if you find a Vet that does the titre test - hopefully locally.

I think my Ellenbrook vet will do it, will phone and check on monday, I have spoken to him about it before though...

The number of dogs on Gumtree, who are being given away by people who are moving, is terrible.

And that is the exact reason I would say why the Swan Animal Haven have a strict protocol to follow when adopting out their dogs. It's perfectly reasonable for them to ask for a letter from your landlord to say dogs are allowed. :shhh:

I do understand though that the way this message is delivered can be very offputting. You are dealing with people who are passionate about dogs, not necessarily people who have good people skills :)

My first dog came from the Shenton Park Dogs Home. They asked me to foster him at first as he was not well enough to be sold at that stage. He turned out to be a LOT older than they told me and died within 18 months of me adopting him (and after I had spent thousands on his healthcare).

I went back to apply for another dog a few months later and they refused me, and refused to give a reason. Go figure!!

I cant believe they refused you!!! Maybe its like Bedazzeled mentioned, they dont like to adopt out to people who work full time.

But I was working full time the first time I adopted from them :mad

Awww that is odd then!!

I have heard the same thing about the Swan Animal Haven before but I did meet one of the ladies from there when I was at the Vet and she was lovely. I can hear the dogs at the Haven barking from my house :shhh: .

Yes I have adopted from there, believe it or not they are very nice people, uts just the initial "hump" please go again with anything you need, or speak to Silvia ( the manager) explain your circumstances and they are very reasonable, they are just extra fussy where there dogs go ( in a nice way) That Haven has been around for many many years ( I adopted a dog from there in 1984 ) and it had been there for ages then! lol

There customer service could be better I agree but really they are a great bunch.

J

So it's not just us who finds them offputting.

Hubby and I went to their fundraising sale recently and when we asked if we could have a look at some dogs for adoption were pretty much told no! We were so put off by their rudeness we won't be going back. We had previously visited years ago and found them very welcoming so were a bit stunned.

Please dont be put off I would give Sylvia a call and ask to speak to her personally, I have done so in the past on a few different issues, they are very genuine, just a group of ladies who have been doing this kind of work for an awfully long time ( I KNOW its no excuse for rudeness) but when I used to deal with them in the eighties they were old they must be in the eighties by now lol!

I am happy to make an anonymous call on your behalf if you like ?

J

Has anyone been to/heard anything about the Swan Animal Haven? I had a really weird experience there the other day, and I don't know whether it's typical.

Yep. Several years ago I phoned them up and arranged to go out there with a family member who was looking for a dog and was looking at a rescue. Took me to get my opinion as I was such a dog person.Well as soon as they saw we had a couple of kids with us we weren't even allowed in the gate and they denigned telling me that they had assured me on the phone they had dogs available and to come see. Funny but the voice certainly sounded like the same person. :-)

Maybe they thought we were time wasters because we had kids with us, but we wanted a dog that would be good with kids so wasn't much point in not taking them. Travelled quiet a distance too, so was not impressed as I thought they were quiet rude, obnviously they made a decision on us while in the carpark. Would understand it if the kids were screaming or playing up but these were quiet, well behaved kids. Certainly one refuge that wouldn't get any $$ from me, sorry dogs.

Just wanted to say WA has a new Agility Ch as of this afternoon and it s 600 dog too :cry: . Big congratulations to Lisa and her GSP Emmy.

I have been lucky enough to run Emmy a few times - she has lovely power steering - and no start line stay :rolleyes:

I made a donation to the Gosnells dog club :cry:

Morning runs had 1 fault in each - first one my fault, second one his fault :laugh: then the arvo was just feral :cry::love: Never mind, plenty more trials where that one came from :rolleyes:

Awww bugger! But as long as you had fun :cry:

I took both girls out this arvo for an hour long walk, and it was such a lovely walk. I walked them round near where my parents live as there aren't many morons who live there and have their dogs offlead. They were very well behaved, except when they saw a cat across the road and they wanted to go say hello, or eat the puddy tat, not sure :rolleyes:

Please dont be put off I would give Sylvia a call and ask to speak to her personally, I have done so in the past on a few different issues, they are very genuine, just a group of ladies who have been doing this kind of work for an awfully long time ( I KNOW its no excuse for rudeness) but when I used to deal with them in the eighties they were old they must be in the eighties by now lol!

I am happy to make an anonymous call on your behalf if you like ?

J

The lady we spoke to wasn't particularly old so not one of the original people by the sound of it. You'd think that the idea of holding a fundraiser would be to promote the organisation not turn people away. Pity, as we have no children, don't rent and I work part time so possibly just what they're looking for.

I have a little brag, my Belgian Shepherd Kizzy took first place qualifying in novice jumping in the afternoon. This is her second leg :thumbsup:

YAAAAAAAAAA Kizzy and Nic Ford [who handled Kizzy]

Thats a BIG BRAG ( well I think it should be ) well done Kizzy and Nic and Myzchev, that agility is awesome and the people who compete are amazing.

Well done :o

Thanks guys:)

I gotta admit, I was so happy, I had tears in my eyes after watching her run - I was just thrilled to bits and as she was the last 600 dog to run I knew she had won 1st place in the 600, but to find out later that Kizzy had won 1st place overall was just fantastic!!!

I just happened to have some sparkling wine in the fridge last night so celebrated in style and the dogs all got freshly roasted chicken and warm ham off the bone thanks to Kizzy's effort :( I got left over lasagne :( ROFL!!!