Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

this is a long shot but does anyone have a crate i can borrow for the next month or so.. i kept meaning to buy one but never got around to it and now im really strapped for cash

or even a second hand one i can buy for cheap?

I was looking at an airline crate on Gumtree last week in Landsdale that was only $30 - gone now though unfortunately.

I could probably lend you one of my crates but obviously the problem is getting it to you :( Since you live bush :laugh:

If you don't get any closer offers let me know and I'll see if I have time to go for a drive on Sunday :laugh:

i just decided to look on gumtree and found one for $30 but in mandurah... might ask my dad to give them a call and see if he can grab it for me since he lives there and drop it to me at tafe monday since his work is around the corner

Has anyone been to/heard anything about the Swan Animal Haven? I had a really weird experience there the other day, and I don't know whether it's typical.

No I have never been, was it a bad experience?

I turned up during their opening hours (checked on the website). They had about 5-6 large dogs out in the yard in front of their office, carrying on as I walked up. I talked to a lady for a while, explaining what sort of dog we were looking for etc. Then she told me that because we are renting, we had to get written approval from our landlord and present it to their committee... Wouldn't let me come in to see the dogs they had, to see if we even wanted to apply for one?

The other shelters I've been to were happy to let me come in and meet some dogs, before vetting our living situation. :shhh:

I turned up during their opening hours (checked on the website). They had about 5-6 large dogs out in the yard in front of their office, carrying on as I walked up. I talked to a lady for a while, explaining what sort of dog we were looking for etc. Then she told me that because we are renting, we had to get written approval from our landlord and present it to their committee... Wouldn't let me come in to see the dogs they had, to see if we even wanted to apply for one?

The other shelters I've been to were happy to let me come in and meet some dogs, before vetting our living situation. :shhh:

Yeah renting is a big problem, no shelters are really happy to let you adopt if you are renting which is why I never ended up getting a rescue dog and I bought one from a breeder. Or else look in gumtree people often look for homes for their pets on there its easier than going to a shelter ir you dont mind getting a x breed.

I have heard similar stories about them, they seem to be over the top a bit with the criteria they have for rehoming. I have heard they refused to adopt dogs out to elderly people as they may not outlive the animals - all this is hearsay, stories from other people but they have been consistent about the level of questioning etc they have to answer in order to qualify to adopt their animals. Perhaps they have a very small return/failure rate due to this I am not sure

I do know that when I looked after a couple of dogs for someone moving house, who did a runner on the dogs after she left them with me, and I needed to give them to rescue - they refused to take them or help me find a solution. Ended up seeing Shenton Park Dogs Home - they were awesome

Glad to know I'm not alone. It seems like they might miss out on a fair number of good homes, if they take this approach. I know I won't be going back.

I agree about the Dogs Home. I've walked through there several times and applied for a couple of dogs who didn't work out. They're always happy to discuss our needs and be realistic about their dogs. I look forward to volunteering there one day, they do great work. :shhh:

Yeah renting is a big problem, no shelters are really happy to let you adopt if you are renting which is why I never ended up getting a rescue dog and I bought one from a breeder. Or else look in gumtree people often look for homes for their pets on there its easier than going to a shelter ir you dont mind getting a x breed.

Our landlord is really flexible (says he doesn't mind what breed or size of dog, loves them all!) so we're lucky in that regard. We'll probably be buying a house after we leave this rental. The Dogs Home is happy to adopt to us, but I do understand why a lot of rescues would be cautious. The number of dogs on Gumtree, who are being given away by people who are moving, is terrible.

If we did have to move into another rental, I would never give up my dog. We'd find one that allowed it.

This is fairly typical I'm afraid. They are very caring people but once a dog gets there you have to be better than best in order to adopt it out. Also working full time is a no no! Never mind the fact that we have to work in order to feed the beasties! :mad There are other shelters which are a bit more relaxed with their criteria.

The number of dogs on Gumtree, who are being given away by people who are moving, is terrible.

And that is the exact reason I would say why the Swan Animal Haven have a strict protocol to follow when adopting out their dogs. It's perfectly reasonable for them to ask for a letter from your landlord to say dogs are allowed. :shhh:

I do understand though that the way this message is delivered can be very offputting. You are dealing with people who are passionate about dogs, not necessarily people who have good people skills :mad

My first dog came from the Shenton Park Dogs Home. They asked me to foster him at first as he was not well enough to be sold at that stage. He turned out to be a LOT older than they told me and died within 18 months of me adopting him (and after I had spent thousands on his healthcare).

I went back to apply for another dog a few months later and they refused me, and refused to give a reason. Go figure!!

The number of dogs on Gumtree, who are being given away by people who are moving, is terrible.

And that is the exact reason I would say why the Swan Animal Haven have a strict protocol to follow when adopting out their dogs. It's perfectly reasonable for them to ask for a letter from your landlord to say dogs are allowed. :shhh:

I do understand though that the way this message is delivered can be very offputting. You are dealing with people who are passionate about dogs, not necessarily people who have good people skills :mad

My first dog came from the Shenton Park Dogs Home. They asked me to foster him at first as he was not well enough to be sold at that stage. He turned out to be a LOT older than they told me and died within 18 months of me adopting him (and after I had spent thousands on his healthcare).

I went back to apply for another dog a few months later and they refused me, and refused to give a reason. Go figure!!

I cant believe they refused you!!! Maybe its like Bedazzeled mentioned, they dont like to adopt out to people who work full time.

I do understand though that the way this message is delivered can be very offputting. You are dealing with people who are passionate about dogs, not necessarily people who have good people skills :)

I cant believe they refused you!!! Maybe its like Bedazzeled mentioned, they dont like to adopt out to people who work full time.

But I was working full time the first time I adopted from them :mad

Yes I have adopted from there, believe it or not they are very nice people, uts just the initial "hump" please go again with anything you need, or speak to Silvia ( the manager) explain your circumstances and they are very reasonable, they are just extra fussy where there dogs go ( in a nice way) That Haven has been around for many many years ( I adopted a dog from there in 1984 ) and it had been there for ages then! lol

There customer service could be better I agree but really they are a great bunch.

J