Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

There is a Golden Retriever Fun Day on Sunday 11th April - from 10am to 2pm at the K9 grounds I think. I have the flyer in pdf form but don't know how to post it here :)

Is anyone interested? $5 grooming, BBQ, dancing dogs etc :thumbsup:

Oh I am!!

Is that from the GRWA??

There is a Golden Retriever Fun Day on Sunday 11th April - from 10am to 2pm at the K9 grounds I think. I have the flyer in pdf form but don't know how to post it here :cry:

Is anyone interested? $5 grooming, BBQ, dancing dogs etc ;)

Oh I am!!

Is that from the GRWA??

Yes! :thumbsup:

I happened to be on the site on Saturday and saw it, and then a breeder emailed me the details yesterday as well :eek:

I think it will be a nice day out! :)

I haven't been on the site for awhile, after lack of contact about joining and nothing being updated I left it.

And then look what happens.

Maybe I can join then as well..... We're going and I'm asking a friend if she want's to bring Ella's boyfriend Jakey along as well :thumbsup:

__

With tracking, I have it in my head April 10th - but on the site I can't find anything on there about it until end of April. Was there something happening then or am I imagining it all?!

I haven't been on the site for awhile, after lack of contact about joining and nothing being updated I left it.

Maybe I can join then as well..... We're going and I'm asking a friend if she want's to bring Ella's boyfriend Jakey along as well :thumbsup:

__

With tracking, I have it in my head April 10th - but on the site I can't find anything on there about it until end of April. Was there something happening then or am I imagining it all?!

Excellent!

Yes our instructor said April 10th as well. I have no idea where to go or what to bring - what is the site you are refrring to?

Re the GRWA site - there is also an information night - these actually do get held fairly regularly throughout the year I think. I will probably go to that as well. Breeders are all very knowledgable so you never know what little gem of information you might pick up :)

Tiggy - I want DETAILS?! I don't think i have ever seen anyone with an English setter walking anywhere?!

He walks them along the river in Woodbridge. He has three of them, all the same colour as your boy, and I caught the name of one 'Ethan' :laugh: . Sophie just wanted to wrestle them and they were like help! :laugh:

There's lots of good ones. I recommend Ashridge Kennels and there's another one, can't remember the name of it but my boys stayed there a few years back - yes, thats how long ago since I have had a holiday!!.

But what 10 days in April are you looking at? Between Easter and school holidays - you might be lucky to get into one of the good kennels.

Edited by Golden Rules

Yes! You know exactly what I am after!

The darker coat dogs I have seen have mostly had that finer coat. The benefit of it being so much easier to look after is secondary to my colour preference but it is a bonus! :laugh:

This was my boy Duncan whose coat was very fine:

And this is Duncan and Dougal -you can see the difference in coat.

Are you a breeder fetchindawgs?

I fell in love with Rebus, he was exactly what I want, colour, sex, and temperament. His breeder/owner explained to me how her dogs were bred for the field and the benefits etc. I wish she was still breeding!!

Unfortunately I realise that as puppies it's hard to know what kind of coat they will end up with and that's a risk I have to take but the finer coat would be perfect for scent tracking. I went to a workshop yesterday and they mentioned there about the heavy coated dogs picking up more crap in their coats as they go through the forest.

Anyway, everyone, keep your fingers crossed for me. It looks like I might have to wait quite a while to get what I am after!

Fingers crossed you get what yyou want GR... Goldies are lovely dogs, and especially puppies, they are such bundles of joy!!! I am currently showing the darkest goldie in the ring at the moment... He is from a cream bitch to a gold dog, and he is sooo much darker than his father! Hes not mine, the mother in law bred him.

Yes! You know exactly what I am after!

The darker coat dogs I have seen have mostly had that finer coat. The benefit of it being so much easier to look after is secondary to my colour preference but it is a bonus! :laugh:

This was my boy Duncan whose coat was very fine:

And this is Duncan and Dougal -you can see the difference in coat.

Are you a breeder fetchindawgs?

I fell in love with Rebus, he was exactly what I want, colour, sex, and temperament. His breeder/owner explained to me how her dogs were bred for the field and the benefits etc. I wish she was still breeding!!

Unfortunately I realise that as puppies it's hard to know what kind of coat they will end up with and that's a risk I have to take but the finer coat would be perfect for scent tracking. I went to a workshop yesterday and they mentioned there about the heavy coated dogs picking up more crap in their coats as they go through the forest.

Anyway, everyone, keep your fingers crossed for me. It looks like I might have to wait quite a while to get what I am after!

Fingers crossed you get what yyou want GR... Goldies are lovely dogs, and especially puppies, they are such bundles of joy!!! I am currently showing the darkest goldie in the ring at the moment... He is from a cream bitch to a gold dog, and he is sooo much darker than his father! Hes not mine, the mother in law bred him.

Thank you Sarah, I'm sure it will happen when it's meant to.

I didn't think (from what I have heard only) that the darker Godlies do so well in the ring? What a shame your MIL doesn't still breed!

I meant to say to you also, congratulations on your new little pupper! I read about it somewhere but don't think I saw a photo..... I remember his name though - Hemi! Very Maori! :laugh:

Thanks Tiggy - i only know of one other person in WA with more than two ES... but no idea where they live...

Whoever it is who has them, well, i am glad they are well behaved and calm like the breed is meant to be!!

CnR I love the goldy you show, and the sire :laugh: I like seeing them win! When i first started there was someone else showing very dark goldies... i think two or three... but not sure what happened to them....

Darker Goldens generally don't do very well in the show ring, and really there is no explanation for the bias, apart from judges being so used to light coloured goldens being shown, they get in a rut and can't remove themselves. It is a shame, because the breed allows for the dark gold and many people prefer it over cream. I do like the true light gold coat colour too, just don't like "white" goldens.

Can anyone give me a hand here please ?

I am travelling to Queensland in August to compete with some of my dogs. I have two crates of my own for two of the dogs, but require another for my Goldie bitch. Either to borrow for the three weeks I am away, or to purchase a secondhand one. She fits into a Clipper 6 very nicely, and I would prefer one of those, but a large Vari Kennel would probably do. Length needs to be around 84cm up to 90 cm. As I said, I don't need it till August, and will keep an eye on Ebay and local papers, but would appreciate it if anybody hears of a crate available, or knows of a generous person willing to loan out a crate, if you could let me know please.

Nice looking dog there "Goldenrules". You may have to wait until the right puppy comes along for you.

I am a breeder, and was going to mate my bitch, but she has just come in, and it is too late for a mating as I want to campaign her all 2010 season, as well as take her over east, so, I am postponing the mating till she comes in next time.

If you are still without a dark puppy at that time, I'll let you know the outcome and you can look at the pups. Both sire and dam are dark gold, with super temperaments, and plenty of drive for the field. If you know Rebus then you know the type of Golden I have with my bitch. She is a bit more goey than Rebus. The male, Banner, is yet to compete in the field (3 weeks), but is very dark in colour, lovely sweet boy, and full of go. If you go to a retrieving trial you will see one of them as they are at different levels so one or the other will be there with me, competing.

Yes, I think I will indeed have to come to a retrieving trial and meet you and your dogs!

I like the darker Goldens too, Duncan was beautiful, I never met him unfortunately. GR, hopefully your wait won't be too long, but I daresay it will be worth it ;)

RS I was looking at a photo on FB of your two with Mason and I was thinking it looked like a nice complete set :laugh:

Well I ended up going to Challenger beach, it was okay, we usually go to Kwinana beach near Wells Park, there were fewer people than Kwinana but it was very choppy and windy.

Duncan was adored by everyone - humans and other dogs. His passing was tragic :D

I think RS should get a black lab as well :laugh: Your avatar would be more accurate :eek:

I would have been up for Piney Lakes yesterday except I did a My Kitchen Rules Marathon - some 12 episodes! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

There is a Golden Retriever Fun Day on Sunday 11th April - from 10am to 2pm at the K9 grounds I think. I have the flyer in pdf form but don't know how to post it here :p

Is anyone interested? $5 grooming, BBQ, dancing dogs etc ;)

Would love to come but I think Mason would stick out like a sore thumb.............

Gah, I need to kennel my dogs for 10 days in April, anyone got any ideas of good kennels in Perth?

I have heard Julies in Malaga is good but I like the Natural Paws website, looks awesome, its in Southern River.

I also thought it started the 10 April???

Maybe I can join then as well..... We're going and I'm asking a friend if she want's to bring Ella's boyfriend Jakey along as well :laugh:

__

Darker Goldens generally don't do very well in the show ring, and really there is no explanation for the bias, apart from judges being so used to light coloured goldens being shown, they get in a rut and can't remove themselves. It is a shame, because the breed allows for the dark gold and many people prefer it over cream. I do like the true light gold coat colour too, just don't like "white" goldens.

Can anyone give me a hand here please ?

I am travelling to Queensland in August to compete with some of my dogs. I have two crates of my own for two of the dogs, but require another for my Goldie bitch. Either to borrow for the three weeks I am away, or to purchase a secondhand one. She fits into a Clipper 6 very nicely, and I would prefer one of those, but a large Vari Kennel would probably do. Length needs to be around 84cm up to 90 cm. As I said, I don't need it till August, and will keep an eye on Ebay and local papers, but would appreciate it if anybody hears of a crate available, or knows of a generous person willing to loan out a crate, if you could let me know please.

Not sure what sort of crate you want exactly - is it for flying?

I have a very large metal crate - just a Kramar black crate..... I don't think it's suitable for flying but you are welcome to borrow it if it is any use to you. It's HUGE!

Would love to come but I think Mason would stick out like a sore thumb.............

I don't think it's just for Goldies, I am sure all dogs would be welcome!

I think it would be a perfect way to celebrate Mason's birthday!! :D

Gah, I need to kennel my dogs for 10 days in April, anyone got any ideas of good kennels in Perth?

I have heard Julies in Malaga is good but I like the Natural Paws website, looks awesome, its in Southern River.

Yes, Natural Paws is my pick too as I have met Davina but I think she prefers the smaller dogs.

This evening hubby video-ed me training Mason in the yard, i am shocked at how slow I walk and the signals I give him, no wonder the poor dog is confused :):eek:

Is that why everyone who does obedience etc videos themselves to see what they are doing right and what they are doing wrong?