Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Sweet potato seemed to feature on Ptolomy's treat list when I was there. Chopped up chicken necks and cheese but I can't remember exactly what Beans was allowed but do remember she could have sweet potato :eek: . I remember tub upon tub of cheese and sweet potato lined up in Ptolomy's fridge :mad .

Pumpkin, ham, lots of goat, chicken, yoghurt and yep buckets of cheese and sweet potato

Do you cook your sweet potato?

I peeled a whole one last night and didn't use it all so chopped it up and gave it to the dog. I was surprised he actually ate it all, and raw!

I use polony... and cheese... rarely do i snack on it though!

At shows i usually use their cooked "dog sausage" lol... but if i remember i like to use roast chicken.

AHA!! Rarely means you have done it before :eek:

Once the treats go in the bag, even though no doggy slobber has gone near it, my mind switches over to dog treats so no snacking occurs, just grosses me out. The only time I might snack is if I am cutting cheese up for them and it's still on the chopping board :mad

Gosh I hope you're cooking those sausages before hand if you're eating them :eek:

That's why I use hotdogs, precooked :mad Love my dogs, but not enough to cook them sausages to last all week for training :mad

In case I forget when we are together on Sunday. Beans is allergic to lots and lots of foods - so need to keep the esky lids on and not let her hijack Ruby's treats. :mad

Poor Beans, having to train for sweet potato! (yes I know you have other yummy options in there for her :mad) The poor dear, it would be awful to be allergic to most foods :D

Edited by RubyStar

She will tentatively take a piece of cooked sausage from me, drop it on the ground, sniff it, think about it, the gently eat it... how many labs do that?!?!?!? LOL

I think you will find that Millie will come one of the closest to this! She is so delicate when taking treats out of your hand or off the floor. I will shove food in Ruby's gob before she takes off my fingers, then I go to do the same with Millie and forget how gentle she is. I believe the snatching is part training, part personality. I was silly and believed the nipping for food as a pup would go away with age, so I was too late to train Ruby not to snatch properly. Millie would have gotten NO training where she came from, I got her as a 2 and a half year old, never taught her to take gently, because she just naturally takes food gently. Throw it in the air for her though and she will jump at it and you can literally hear her gob snap around the treat :eek:

Sweet potato seemed to feature on Ptolomy's treat list when I was there. Chopped up chicken necks and cheese but I can't remember exactly what Beans was allowed but do remember she could have sweet potato :eek: . I remember tub upon tub of cheese and sweet potato lined up in Ptolomy's fridge :mad .

Pumpkin, ham, lots of goat, chicken, yoghurt and yep buckets of cheese and sweet potato

I take that back, not poor Beans, her treats sound delish!! My girls want in on that :mad

They get the boring options with me :D But hey, like we've discussed, I own a breed that would work for a strip of lettuce :mad

Funny you mention the ball / food thing, last night Kyzer was playing with his isqueak, I gave both dogs a big meaty lamb bone each and he started eating his but then remembered the ball and stopped, he was standing there looking at the ball and the bone as if torn between the two :eek: You could really see the pain and confusion in his eyes :mad

:mad:mad

Hi All, yes it has been a while but I thought I would let you all know that i now have the agility bug :eek: I did a bit of ground work with Kimba last year and then had alot of other stuff going on so couldn't do it for a while. But I have now been a few times and I love it and so does Kimba. We started off with the beginners stuff, but Kimba thought that was to easy so we went straight into the more advanced section. Tonight we did the aframe, the board walk and some different jumping runs. Kimba is unreal. She took everything in her stride and did everything with ease. Our instructor also bought her flyball thingy down ans showed us how to use it. Well after about 3 or 4 goes of showing Kimba how to touch the board with her paw to get the ball out, she has that down packed too.

BUT there is a tiny little problem and involves a BALL :mad She is obsessed with them so now seeing as though she will do everything with the treats, I am going to start from scratch with herr in the agility to get her to work for the ball and not just want me to throw it over and over and over again :D She is a remarkably quick learner so hopefully she will get the gist of it too.

Oh, and I also gave my other 2 (Ody and Cynda) a go and they were quite good at it too. Just imagine how bloody fit I will get if I run 3 dogs in agility :mad

I have used a variety of treats. Liver treats, cheese, frankfruts, cooked sausages, and fruit with watermelon being thier favourite. When I show Ody, I have to have something that her will love to get him motivated and his taste buds are different for every show :mad

I use cooked sausages in obedience and agility. Kimba and Cynda dont care what they get as long as it is something edible but Ody, well, it must just be a male thing I think :mad

Do you cook your sweet potato?

I peeled a whole one last night and didn't use it all so chopped it up and gave it to the dog. I was surprised he actually ate it all, and raw!

All sweet potato is given raw and so is the pumpkin :thumbsup:

Edited by Ptolomy

Sweet potato seemed to feature on Ptolomy's treat list when I was there. Chopped up chicken necks and cheese but I can't remember exactly what Beans was allowed but do remember she could have sweet potato :thumbsup: . I remember tub upon tub of cheese and sweet potato lined up in Ptolomy's fridge :p .

I take that back, not poor Beans, her treats sound delish!! My girls want in on that :rofl:

They get the boring options with me :( But hey, like we've discussed, I own a breed that would work for a strip of lettuce :mad

Mason is a bit fussier when it comes to treats he will work for anything at home, the other day OH was eating crisps and mason was drooling so I took some from him and Mason worked for crisps :( BUT when we go to class its another story, he will only work for meat, I tried cheese the one day and you would swear I had offered him the most horrible food ever, he wouldnt even sit for it :cheer: AND that was the day we had our asssessment to go up to the trialling classes, I was soooo embaressed!!

Once Toby worked for pear at class. :thumbsup: However now Toby will work for iSqueak ;)

So they are still a hit then????

Yes, because I am still not 100% he is playing fetch instead of walking and I will throw the ball and he will come the long way back over the jumps in the backyard squeaking all the way. ;)

He is seriously an addict and he just gets this obssesed look for it, more then for anything (including food and sheep).

hi there everyone. im new to the forums here and just thought id introduce myself. as you all are im a west aussie living in eden hill. i have one gorgeous dog at the moment, spider who is a border x husky x possibly blue heeler but is mostly collie. he's a shelter boy who came to me from mandurah. i joined up here in hopes of finding like minded dog lovers as well as perhaps some tips on training my boy. he's 2.5 years at the moment and i got him when he was around 1 from the shelter. The volunteers there have no idea of his history just that they picked him up from the pound. he seems to have been abused in the past as when he came to me he was frightened of water, cigarettes, men, loud noises or arguing, shovels and being touched on his tail/back of legs. he's come along way since i got him but obedience outside of my back yard seems to evade him. even with treats the dogs waaaaay over the other side of the park are more interesting. so at the moment the only place he comes offlead is whiteman park.

so yes thats us in a nutshell. :thumbsup: ;)

Hi All,

Another newbie here - just wanted to say Hello to fellow WA doglovers. We have a new Dobie pup (14 weeks old - we've only had him for 2 weeks) so have been reading the puppy threads too! We lost our last beautiful dobie girl in January at 12 years old, so has been a bit of a shock to the system to have an energetic, chewy but very loving puppy running around! :thumbsup: Started puppy school last week so hopefully we're on the right track for training.

He's on a raw meat diet so need to do a search on here for good places to buy the meat from in the northern suburbs. Already getting the chicken mince from Lenards, but have only been able to find red meat mince for pets at the supermarket - does anyone know if Drovers do it? Our last dog wasn't on raw meat so am a bit new to it all - the new pup is ridiculously healthy though, so it seems to work. ;)

Cheers

Jules ;)