Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

There's a dog labelled a Manchester Terrier on that site - but it bears no resemblance except it is black and with tan points, but not the right shade of tan.

Do you volunteer there or something CC? I always feel bad for the little old dogs on those sites :( They should be spending their twilight years at someones feet being loved.

I think a Kelpie would be fine in that situation - my brother's dog is a rather high energy Kelpie X BC and is left at home alone all day, then he gets home and either plays with her or takes her for a run or bike ride, takes her with him on the weekends, if she was doing agility that would keep her stimulated enough with a walk / run on non training days. She easily goes a day without exercise, I think most dogs would though wouldn't they?

ETA: She's a bit too high energy for my tastes though :laugh:

Edited by amypie

Do you volunteer there or something CC? I always feel bad for the little old dogs on those sites :( They should be spending their twilight years at someones feet being loved.

No, I wish I had the spare time to do so!

He was advertised at my vets when we first moved to Cott.....and he's still there nearly a year on :(

Yeah actually you are probably right there Mirawee! Trixie sleeps for most of the day but when I get home - :eek: She goes crazy, from the moment I get home to the moment we go to bed and her preferred way of burning off energy is ZOOMIESSSSS :eek: I play with her a lot, I have no other option :rofl: Should do the ET with her or something but I'm scared of building up her fitness levels :rofl:

Should do the ET with her or something but I'm scared of building up her fitness levels :rofl:

I'm worried about that for my 2 as well :rofl:

If you want an ET training buddy, I'm in, I need the motivation to get out there and do it. What I want to do is sort of combine the C25K thing for myself and do it with the dogs to build them up slowly for endurance. I took them out on the bike a bit earlier in the year when I was thinking about doing the ET and the 3 of us are so unfit! We did about 2-3km's at about 6-7 km/hr and that is all they could handle without lagging too much :o

ok quick question for those who feel like thinking today!

I have a friend who wants to adopt a dog (adult preferably) - she's been looking at rescue but isn't really sure what kind of dog to look for...

She doesn't want something really big

She is considering giving Agility a go

She wants something that can be ok during the day on their own while she is at work (normal 9 hour day plus travel, like most of us!), that isn't likely to tear up the house/yard

She is fairly active - surfs and skates, and wants to walk/jog twice a day with the dog... so something that is active enough to keep up with her, but also that can miss a day of exercise here and there.

She did look at a 1yo labrador that was up for adoption, but she isn't sure if it woudl suit... still a bit of a puppy.

What does everyone think?

We have some gorgeous purebred border collies in our rescue at the moment that aren't too full on :)

Nope, last year you said you weren't interested :p And you're the one who quit the C25K, I didn't even start it :rofl:

Come on, lets dooo eeeettt! Hmmm but what night in my training schedule can I forfeit? :rofl:

edit: don't need a bike just yet. We can get our fitnesses up (including the dogs) on foot. I have an old Kmart bike. If you aren't after a good one, they are pretty cheap to come by. Bought my bike years ago when my sister and I decided we'd start riding together. Mine has been used, but I think my sister's still has the tags on it :rofl: Same as when we bought tennis rackets and balls to go learn tennis. Racket has never come out of the bag embarrass.gif

Edited by RubyStar

I started ET training with Toby, we were going well got up to about 8kms (maybe a bit more) but he started going lame :( It wasn't the distance but being run from the bike on hard ground. So on Deb's advice I stopped.

When Zora is old enough we will do ET :)