Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Goodluck Ptolomy and Bedazzled - although you won't need it because you are both brilliant as are your dogs - even if they use artistic license sometimes! Have a great time :cry:

+ 1 - good luck from me too.

For the Nationals, MM?

Yes, I cant help on the thurs or fri as I am also working but I will volunteer for one of the weekend days, my club doesnt expect us to be there the whole day though :cry:

Just had a thought, it will have to be Sunday though as I have tracking on a saturday and the last thing I will want to do is drive for an hour to Southern River.

Edited by Masons_mom

Guest RosieFT

I am helping friday for the nationals. Didn't think to offer for the weekend as assumed they had those days covered. Hope to see you go around Amy! Hope i don't get given anything technical to do - doubt i will be asked to do anything important as i am a newbie!

Don't you have to qualify for the nationals or anything??? In the horse world you do...

Amy - you are very brave and will do brilliantly :-) A couple of my friends in the horse world swore by 'rescue remedy' to keep them calm on show days.. i never tried it myself.

I am helping friday for the nationals. Didn't think to offer for the weekend as assumed they had those days covered. Hope to see you go around Amy! Hope i don't get given anything technical to do - doubt i will be asked to do anything important as i am a newbie!

Don't you have to qualify for the nationals or anything??? In the horse world you do...

Amy - you are very brave and will do brilliantly :-) A couple of my friends in the horse world swore by 'rescue remedy' to keep them calm on show days.. i never tried it myself.

I dont find that its strong enough for me but the only time I have tried it in the last few years was for flying I havent had to compete in anything so not sure how good it is for competition nerves :cry: Flying is one of my huge fears I am soo afraid. :thumbsup:

You don't have to qualify for the agility Nationals :D

I was made to take Rescue Remedy once at a horse show (not that I felt nervous :rofl:) and it did not a thing. But then I have other friends that swear by it :laugh: So it certainly wouldn't hurt :rofl: And give your dog a couple of drops too :eek:

You don't have to qualify for the agility Nationals :rofl:

I was made to take Rescue Remedy once at a horse show (not that I felt nervous :D) and it did not a thing. But then I have other friends that swear by it :laugh: So it certainly wouldn't hurt :cry: And give your dog a couple of drops too :rofl:

I remember taking Rescue for horse shows as a teenager, also didnt seem to help me but i get really nervy for competitions :eek: Havent ridden now for nearly 2 years, I cant believe it :D

You don't have to qualify for the agility Nationals :D

I was made to take Rescue Remedy once at a horse show (not that I felt nervous :rofl:) and it did not a thing. But then I have other friends that swear by it :laugh: So it certainly wouldn't hurt :D And give your dog a couple of drops too :eek:

Something most people do not realise with Rescue Remedy and Emergency Essence - just one dose is not how you are meant to take it (or your animals for that matter).

For anxiety, you should take a dose every 15 minutes or so for an hour and then reduce the dosage as you feel it's effects (ie less anxiety).

If you take say - 4 doses in an hour and you honestly feel no different, then no it's not working and it's not for you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if Rescue Remedy doesn't work for you, try Emergency Essence. They are similar but different. I have had far more success with Emergency Essence on my anxious Goldie than I ever did with Rescue Remedy :rofl:

You don't have to qualify for the agility Nationals :rofl:

I was made to take Rescue Remedy once at a horse show (not that I felt nervous :D) and it did not a thing. But then I have other friends that swear by it :laugh: So it certainly wouldn't hurt :cry: And give your dog a couple of drops too :D

Something most people do not realise with Rescue Remedy and Emergency Essence - just one dose is not how you are meant to take it (or your animals for that matter).

For anxiety, you should take a dose every 15 minutes or so for an hour and then reduce the dosage as you feel it's effects (ie less anxiety).

If you take say - 4 doses in an hour and you honestly feel no different, then no it's not working and it's not for you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if Rescue Remedy doesn't work for you, try Emergency Essence. They are similar but different. I have had far more success with Emergency Essence on my anxious Goldie than I ever did with Rescue Remedy :rofl:

Yip I have taken it as per the directions, I used to do it for a few days before flying :eek:

I still think that RR and most other essenses work because they are generally in an alcohol base :laugh: Particularly if you are meant to keep taking swigs every 15 minutes :rofl:

And it has been... about a week since I rode :laugh: Was too busy this weekend and now my pony is covered in lumps several of which would be under the saddle/girth :rofl: So she can have a couple more days off.

Guest RosieFT

Witht things like rescue remedy, I think if you believe in it, it will work :laugh: The power of the mind is an awesome thing.

It has been almost 3 months since I have given up trying to keep my passion and drive of riding alive. I no longer have it. It was just too hard getting up at 5.30am to ride someone elses horse, schooling it, then giving it back after weeks or months.

Now with kids, work (albeit part time) and dog, I cannot see how it would ever have fitted in anyway and so i am lucky that I feel this way :-)

So many horsey people! I think I've ridden a horse only twice in my life. First time I fell off, second time the horse took me under a low tree and it scraped my back something cronic :laugh: Would have loved to learn how to ride but just wasn't something on the cards growing up! Would still love to go for a ride, but scared I still don't know how to do it :laugh:

Guest RosieFT

Amypie - when i was at my parents' house on the weekend i got on their computer (yes, they have broadband unlike poor old s l o w me!) to look at foxies and agility utube movies.

Did you see any foxies stopping on contacts? the few i saw were all just whizzing on by.... ??? Starting to think it might be tricky... especially when Rosie tried the other week and i could hear her nails sliding down the board on the A frame as she tried to stop LOL.

Guest RosieFT

RS problem with horses is they get into your blood (bit like dogs!) and it becomes a lifestyle.. a very expensive lifestyle! i owned and competed horses for many years. Went to Canada and trained horses over there. Came home with a baby, had some time off, then back into it blah blah.... but slowly the passion has died for me.

I also attended shows and clinics with my friends (most of whom own their own properties) and i got sick of feeling depressed about not being able to ride my own horse. Was lovely to have the opportunity to school good horses, but when it came down to it i wanted to be in control of something that i was building up and aiming for.

So now i need to transplant that passion and drive to learning and training agility... but i feel so useless and have no knowledge base. I *know* horses and dressage and have had it in my life for so long that it left a huge void. It kind of defined a part of me. Scary to think that void is slowly being filled by a fox terrier :laugh::laugh:

anyhoo, i too have noticed alot of horsey gals in the dog world....

especially when Rosie tried the other week and i could hear her nails sliding down the board on the A frame as she tried to stop LOL.

I hear ya! Millie screamed over that a-frame so fast her nails scratched it all the way down and she flew off the bottom :rofl: Ruby on the other hand is slower, but more controlled!

RS problem with horses is they get into your blood (bit like dogs!) and it becomes a lifestyle

I have always loved dogs but I never thought I'd get my Lab/s and never thought I'd be into doggy sports. Now it's taking over my life and hell I'm gonna let it, it makes me happy :( Makes me very tired as I get home late most nights, but gives me purpose I guess :o

Scary to think that void is slowly being filled by a fox terrier :rofl::laugh:

:laugh: But what about 2 fox terriers?! :)

Edited by RubyStar

RS problem with horses is they get into your blood (bit like dogs!) and it becomes a lifestyle.. a very expensive lifestyle! i owned and competed horses for many years. Went to Canada and trained horses over there. Came home with a baby, had some time off, then back into it blah blah.... but slowly the passion has died for me.

I also attended shows and clinics with my friends (most of whom own their own properties) and i got sick of feeling depressed about not being able to ride my own horse. Was lovely to have the opportunity to school good horses, but when it came down to it i wanted to be in control of something that i was building up and aiming for.

So now i need to transplant that passion and drive to learning and training agility... but i feel so useless and have no knowledge base. I *know* horses and dressage and have had it in my life for so long that it left a huge void. It kind of defined a part of me. Scary to think that void is slowly being filled by a fox terrier :laugh::laugh:

anyhoo, i too have noticed alot of horsey gals in the dog world....

Yip it is very costly thats for sure and because I am still supporting my old pony on the other side of the world for his retirement days there is no money for another horse. I have also tried to ride and look after other peoples horses but its so hard especially when you have a different opinion to the owner on what is right for the horse. I am a natural freak with horses I dont believe in shoes and bits and stuff so its hard to find someone with the same mindset to let me help with their horse lol.

I also feel useless at training my dog Rosie I think its because in riding you had riding lessons and even if they were in a group its a very small group. With dogs its at a club with a couple of people and never individual. Its hard to see your mistakes when you train on your own as well whereas with horses when you ride you are usually at a club and people all tell each other what they are doing wrong. And also when I first started riding I felt like I had no clue what to do but after about 5 years I felt more confident so hey maybe in 5 years I will have a clue about dog training!

DOnt worry about it taking over your life Katie as long as it makes you happy, when I was involved in horses I would go to school all day and be with my horse until around 06h30pm, then when I started work i worked all day and was with the horse till around 8pm and then obviously on weekends I would spend the morning or afternoon at stables. Its amazing that my poor husband put up with me!

Scary to think that void is slowly being filled by a fox terrier :party::(

:( But what about 2 fox terriers?! :party:

Imagine how fun it will be trying to water the plants if you had two! :party: :party: