Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

I agree, no news is good news. Bloody ratsack, bloody pestie!

My Dad gets the blame for the rat bait and leaving the gate open... the pest controller just gets the blame for trying to dehydrate my ponies! The other thing I found out today is that Vitamin K tablets are not cheap! 2 weeks supply is just over $50 a dog :laugh: Who would have thought a vitamin could be so expensive - but then my dogs are getting around 500 x the daily dose that you get in a human Vitamin K tablet :eek: ETA: And at least I only had 1 consult fee for the three dogs - after hours consult was $140. This is turning out to be an expensive pest control visit :eek:

Edited by mirawee

My Dad gets the blame for the rat bait and leaving the gate open... the pest controller just gets the blame for trying to dehydrate my ponies! The other thing I found out today is that Vitamin K tablets are not cheap! 2 weeks supply is just over $50 a dog :laugh: Who would have thought a vitamin could be so expensive - but then my dogs are getting around 500 x the daily dose that you get in a human Vitamin K tablet :eek: ETA: And at least I only had 1 consult fee for the three dogs - after hours consult was $140. This is turning out to be an expensive pest control visit :eek:

I hate Ratsack we had all five dogs eat it last year and the bloody vet bill was over $650 grrrrrr.

I only used the Vik K on the 2 worse affected dogs

I hate Ratsack we had all five dogs eat it last year and the bloody vet bill was over $650 grrrrrr.

I only used the Vik K on the 2 worse affected dogs

I only used the Vit K on the 2 worse affected dogs

Gentle ((hugs)) to Trixie. She obviously doesn't want to go to school :laugh:

I won't be there again tonight, just coz I want to keep an eye on my dogs (I will be a lot less stressed after a week!) Hopefully we can all be there next week!

I wasn't on DOL this arvo cos I had a wonderful class at TAFE ;) so didn't see this til now. Was wondering where you guys were! I tried to train at 8 but had noone to train with and I am no good at making sure I get my turn so it wasn't that enjoyable :eek:

Yep! Zola just threw up................................her breakfast.................................from about 8.30 this morning!!! Yeeha!!! I can see another vet visit coming on!!!

Hope everyone elses pupsters are on the mend :o

Millie threw up her roo tail last night! Within minutes of finishing it, and she had eaten is reeeeeeally slooooooowly!!

Amy, hope Trixie is ok! I've never heard of a dog spraining their back feet :eek: That was a lot of pool fun she had it seems!!

Thanks guys. I'll be keeping my eye out on those classifieds.

I've looked at crazy sales! It is cheap but no small crates :o but I have 7 weeks so I'll just keep hunting. Cheers

I got my crate from Dealsdirect, they don't seem to have them anymore ;)

I think the wave of pet injuries has hit me :eek:

On Sunday I took the dogs to my bro's where they had a lovely time swimming in the pool, in typical style Trixie (who can't swim particularly well, but she is getting better) is the only dog who thinks it's great fun leaping off the side of the pool into the water :laugh: Particularly if there is another dog swimming at the time to try and land on :eek: (she was told off for this - naughty dog)

They were fine on Sunday, just tired, but yesterday I noticed she was a bit stiff before work, thought she might have just been a bit sore, then when I got home yesterday I knew she must have been bad because she wouldn't even jump up to greet me (she's a shocking jumper) but Kyzer was also limping, he has had burnt paws before from the pavers so I thought this may have happened again but when he did it last time he was sore for one day and then was fine so I left it.

This morning she was worse again, very sore, I still thought it was burnt pads and was going to take her to the vet after work, gave her some pain killers left over from when she had the abscess, my OH flew in today and said she got up, said hello pathetically then went and laid down again and then went outside but didn't seem to want to move :( I asked him to take her to the vet and vet says her feet aren't burnt but she has strained the toes on both back legs, and they are swollen, I hadn't noticed any swelling last night when I was inspecting them, but I had noticed her front feet didn't seem sore, it wa smainly her back feet. Kyzer was back to normal when OH got home and is running around like a loon.

She's on Rimadyl for a week and if it doesn't improve he says go back for X-Rays (but I'd probably go to a Bowen / Chiro / acupuncture type person first like Deb Nook)

I feel so bad that I let her overdo it, she seemed fine at the time! :( Poor Trixie, tonight is her first 'proper' agility class and she has to chuck a sickie!

Awe, hugs to my little Trixie mate, must be bad if she's lost her bounce. Get well soon Trixie.

Amy, hope Trixie is ok! I've never heard of a dog spraining their back feet That was a lot of pool fun she had it seems!!

Own a Whippet and you get used to sprained toes etc quite quickly!

How many toes are swollen on each foot Amypie?

Oh and naughty Dad for Mira!!!

hope all the doggies are on the mend soon :D Spartan is fine, btw - no lasting effects from the honey and fruit and nut binge!

have you all received the latest dog news? I haven't yet but was wondering when its due?

I thought it was meant to come yesterday but didn't get mine - hopefully this week sometime!!

Yay for Spartan being fine after his binge :thumbsup:

hope all the doggies are on the mend soon :D Spartan is fine, btw - no lasting effects from the honey and fruit and nut binge!

have you all received the latest dog news? I haven't yet but was wondering when its due?

Me either but I am excited for it :D

Glad Spartan is ok :thumbsup: Toby also was back to his usual self yesterday evening.

Great theres lots of interest out there WX!! Itll be good to watch an agility Xolo!!

I'd give my right arm for a Xolo, but my two have more than enough issues for me to cope with at the moment :D :D Ooooo I have an idea, Jacqi - I'll swap you two Cresties for a Xolo pup :D

This is turning out to be an expensive pest control visit :D

Our bill for Daisy's chocolate fest was $2000 for 24hrs :D Typical, we had insurance for them all for years in the UK and rarely claimed, haven't got any over here yet and Daisy has cost us $2800 over the past 3 weeks :D

Fingers crossed for your guys Mirawee :thumbsup:

ST - glad to hear Spartan is doing fine too :cheer:

Hope the pain killers are making Tixie feel a bit better this morning Amy :D

Daisy is off for her check up this morning, so hopefully all is ok with her heart etc.

Hope Trixie is better soon. This is something I have a reasonable amount of experience with! Rommi is always doing her toes!

Last time she properly dislocated one.

I wrap them with co-flex to help support them for a week to two depending on if just a sprain or a dislocation. The once the wrap is off and she is not limping I walk her only on lead ( as having 5 acres and two Whippets zoomies at break neck speed are a fairly normal occurance!) After 2 weeks for a sprain and 3 to 4 for a dislocation they go back to normal programming.

I only give pain killer in the beginning when they are really sore, as soon as they stop limping I stop them as it can make them feel really good and then they are more likely to do a really good job.

Must be the Whippet in her - they used them to develop MTs, that's why they have a similar shaped topline.

Tell me more about wrapping - is the coflex stuff like vetwrap? I was wondering that because usually if something is swollen it gets a compression bandage but the vet didn't mention it.

We really seem to be having a bad run on here!
when they are really sore, as soon as they stop limping I stop them as it can make them feel really good and then they are more likely to do a really good job.

I agree completely :thumbsup: Much better to see a slightly sad dog for a few days than a very sad dog for longer as they have damaged themself more.

Yep I agree, when she starts perking up on the pain killers I'll take them off, but she's still avoiding walking/standing and being really quiet.

Trying to find some before photos but here are some photos I took yesterday, the outside toes on each back foot are the worst.

Left foot, see how swollen the outside toe is, they are usually symmetrical

5248a407.jpg

Right foot

959644a6.jpg

Fat feet

4a369578.jpg

f6dbbdf6.jpg

Stop taking photos of my munted feet!

5d4cf58f.jpg

Must be the Whippet in her - they used them to develop MTs, that's why they have a similar shaped topline.

Tell me more about wrapping - is the coflex stuff like vetwrap? I was wondering that because usually if something is swollen it gets a compression bandage but the vet didn't mention it.

Well there you go, learn't something new!

Co-flex and vetwrap are pretty much the same stuff. You can use some thin padding underneath, I don't tend to bother too much with that as I don't do it firm, firm enough to stay on, but no so much that I have to be worried about compramising circulation. The padding helps to make sure it is not to tight.

She does have some very fat toes there poor little poppet. Seems to be the outside that are the most affected. The other thing I have used is DMSO as I have it from Rommi's Gracilis muscle injury and that can help pull the fluid out quite quickly . Not sure if you have ever had a fairly swollen foot or hand but they feel really weird to walk on so somtimes just getting the fluid down helps and they walk much better.

Even some cold packs on their from time to time will help.

It's okay Trixie we are not looking at your fat toes any more!!!

I lay it up the front of the paw and go down towards the nails, then up the back of the pads, then fold over to begin wrapping up and down the leg. So you cover over the end of the paw, then wrap around the leg. Helps reduce how mush sand etc gets in and helps make sure the toes all stay together.

DMSO is an anti-inflammatory roll on thing. It pulls swelling out really fast. I have Flucort DSMO which is prescription but I have been told there is a DMSO(roll on) you can get from horse shops??? that isn't prescription. Makes their breath smell like they have been eating garlic!

Thanks so much for your tips OSS! Aren't you glad Rommi's ongoing foot problems have been good for something :D

;) :(:(:( yep even if I groan and bitch and complain every time she blows another toe, I will remember there is an upside to it!

First thing I do when I get home tonight is give my dogs a massive hug. I am lost for words about this cyclone coming for FNQ. Absolutely terrifying and all I can think about is if I was in that position and how I could keep my girls safe because it would tear me to pieces if something happened to them :(