Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

People who show here is a question, i want to go watch Gibbs' littermates in the ring on sunday, show starts at 9, will labs be on right away or can i get there a bit later??

Labs are at the tail end of the group BUT many of the gundog exhibitors will be in Melbourne showing so i would suggest 10 am would be very safe

BUMP - Page 2!! :eek:

Ok a question as well, are there any WA DOLers or do any WA DOLers know people that would be interested in competing in a Retrieving Ability Test? I have been having a chat with Lynne from the Retrieving Club and she mentioned I might like to come to the AGM and help promote the RAT when it is discussed.

I know that RS and ST would be interested, for all other gun dog owners it involves an off leash heel in a straight line for 20-30m, a recall at 20m and 2x single mark retrieves, one of which may be in water. It is likely the RAT will be done with canvas dummies, not birds ( :provoke: Ptolomy and MG).

Anyway trying to build a listed of interested people to help plead the case for a RAT.

BUMP - Page 2!! :eek:

Ok a question as well, are there any WA DOLers or do any WA DOLers know people that would be interested in competing in a Retrieving Ability Test? I have been having a chat with Lynne from the Retrieving Club and she mentioned I might like to come to the AGM and help promote the RAT when it is discussed.

I know that RS and ST would be interested, for all other gun dog owners it involves an off leash heel in a straight line for 20-30m, a recall at 20m and 2x single mark retrieves, one of which may be in water. It is likely the RAT will be done with canvas dummies, not birds ( :provoke: Ptolomy and MG).

Anyway trying to build a listed of interested people to help plead the case for a RAT.

Just to add - the dog does have to be a gundog BUT it does not have to have ANKC Pedigree papers to be eligible like normal retrieving trials. So if you have a non-papered dog registered as an Associate dog with the ANKC, and the dog is clearly a gundog by looking at it, then it is eligible to compete.

There are so far two titles to be earnt from the Retrieving Ability Test for Gundogs. They are NRA (Novice Retrieving Ability) and ORA (Open Retrieving Ability).

We're really hoping we can get as much support as possible because with more people interested in entering, the more chance we might have of getting this off the ground. So if you have a gundog, please think about it!!!! :D

thumbsup1.gif

Edited by RubyStar

I was chatting to some people already competing in proper retrieving trials and they dont seem keen to do the ratg's :( its not challenging enough for advanced people i guess but its still a title imo.

If your dog is titled in retrieving you are ineligible to compete in RAT. (Even QND title).

I was chatting to some people already competing in proper retrieving trials and they dont seem keen to do the ratg's :( its not challenging enough for advanced people i guess but its still a title imo.

If your dog is titled in retrieving you are ineligible to compete in RAT. (Even QND title).

I didnt know that and none of them mentioned it, just said as there is no game and no guns they not keen

I didnt know that and none of them mentioned it, just said as there is no game and no guns they not keen

It also CAN be run on game, but the club has to organise the game, whereas if it is run with dummies everyone provides their own.

It also CAN be run on game, but the club has to organise the game, whereas if it is run with dummies everyone provides their own.

Yup but have heard that they battle to get game ad it is so in all likelihood it will be dummies. Did you come and watch the demo at the beginning of the season?

Yup but have heard that they battle to get game ad it is so in all likelihood it will be dummies. Did you come and watch the demo at the beginning of the season?

No I have worked every Sunday between last November and mid September so I missed the retrieving training.

I hope the retrieving community will get behind it, it's not for their dogs that are competing and doing well, it's to encourage new people, people who want to dip their toe in before a real trial and those with associate register but pure bred gun dogs (like Millie and others out there) can have a go!