Thinking Of Changing Kibble

raffikki

My 2, almost 8 month old, AmSatffs are currently getting Advance, Puppy Plus, Growth Large Breed but I am considering changing.

Although I think both are doing well on the Advance, I'm hoping to get a kibble with NO preservatives and colours. (Advance has a "preservative")

In my area I can get:

Iams® ProActive Health™ Smart Puppy Large Breed

Hill's® Science Diet® Puppy Large Breed

Eukanuba® Puppy Large Breed Formula

Royal Canin Maxi Junior

PRO PLAN Puppy Large Breed Chicken & Rice

Eagle Pack Holistic Large/Giant Breed Puppy Formula

SUPERCOAT Puppy

PetFare Crunchie Bites(chicken & corn)

ETA: Artemis Fresh Mix Medium / Large Breed Puppy

Rhino may also possibly have sensitive skin, and I have been advised by a friend/trainer to avoid anything that says "whole grain cereals"

So looking at the ingredients that cuts out Super Coat(which I wasn't really considering)

The other products mention things like Ground Whole Grain Corn, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, whole grain corn, whole grain wheat & Whole grain brown rice, should I be avoiding these too :)

What exactly are "fillers"? I have read numerous posts saying to avoid kibble with these.

How can I tell which ones have, or don't have, preservatives and colours?

Which do you think is the best?

All input will be greatly appreciated :rofl:

Edited by raffikki

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our stafford went downhill on Advance Puppy so we recently changed to Great Barko.. he absolutely loves it and the runny poos and itching have stopped :)

I use Hills Science Diet and Shar Pei are renowned for skin problems. none here :rofl:

Zero is on artemis healthy weight management - it contains no grains which are the "fillers" in kibble.

I buy it online at:

http://www.pookinuk.com.au/

or

http://www.naturalpetstore.com.au/

Both deliver to Perth for a $5 fee.

ETA: I should add that Zero is allergic to preservatives and colourings. He doesn't have a problem on artemis. We've tried the healthy weight one and the maximal one - Zero has a very slow metabolism so puts on weight easily so he gained weight very quickly on maximal but he loses weight easily on healthy weight.

Edited by ~*Shell*~

Mine is on Eagle Pack Holistic.

He was itchy on Eukanuba no probs on Eagle Pack Holistic.

We get ours from the Natural Pet Store too. They have a range of the "healthy" ones.

ETA I see you are in Perth but you coudl have a gander on their website for info.

Edited by Quickasyoucan

I had mine on Pro Plan for ages and I was more then happy with it. Only reason I changed was i wanted something more natural.

Now they are one Nutro Natural Choice, Lamb. It's fantastic!

Also Pro Plan do a fish one for sensitive doggies, its very good.

Zero is on artemis healthy weight management - it contains no grains which are the "fillers" in kibble.

I buy it online at:

http://www.pookinuk.com.au/

or

http://www.naturalpetstore.com.au/

Both deliver to Perth for a $5 fee.

ETA: I should add that Zero is allergic to preservatives and colourings. He doesn't have a problem on artemis. We've tried the healthy weight one and the maximal one - Zero has a very slow metabolism so puts on weight easily so he gained weight very quickly on maximal but he loses weight easily on healthy weight.

It's only $5 from the Natural Pet Store if it's under 500grams but Pookinuk is only $5.

Edited by Tiggy

Thanks for all the responses so far ;)

I hadn't even thought of buying online, so I guess my options are much wider than I thought.

Rhino's skin hasn't been a problem so far, though he has a mild bacterial infection in his ears and the vet has advised me that sensitive skin/allergies may become a problem. He has had hives a few times, but they only appear in the evenings after a play outside, so I'm thinking they're from bugs/midgies(that come out at night)

The more I look at all the choices the more confusing it gets :mad but so far it seems PRO Plan, Royal Canin and Eagle Pack are better?

I will also add that Artimis is now an option :mad

Mine is on Eagle Pack Holistic.

He was itchy on Eukanuba no probs on Eagle Pack Holistic.

We get ours from the Natural Pet Store too. They have a range of the "healthy" ones.

ETA I see you are in Perth but you coudl have a gander on their website for info.

My ridgeback is on Eaglepack Hollistic Large breed adult now & doing great, previously used Nutrience & Royal Canin & had to feed almost twice as much as Eaglepack.

The more I look at all the choices the more confusing it gets :) but so far it seems PRO Plan, Royal Canin and Eagle Pack are better?

I will also add that Artimis is now an option :)

I've heard good things about eagle pack holistic and royal canin but it really is up to the individual dog.

As far as I'm aware, the only food that doesn't contain fillers is artemis but i have heard stories of dogs gaining a lot of weight on it, and dogs that drop weight like crazy on it. Zero does very very well on it but he is allergic to wheat so it doesn't surprise me that he is better on a wheat-free food. Choose the one you like the sound of and go from there. If your dog isn't doing well, change it.

I'm currently reading a book about commercial dog foods and am feeling quite ill reading it.

What we think sounds innocent on the packaging, is actually quite sinister and shocking.

Am seriously thinking of removing commercial food from my dogs' diets and going raw/home prepared. Although from what i was told by an expert, Eagle Pack Holistic brand is by far the lesser of the evils, I might leave them on this for emergencies only.

In my opinion, the best kibble available in Australia is 'EVO'.

Problem is the sole importer/distributor is none other than that loathed pet store chain

via its 'warehouse' type outlets. Thus, I no longer use it.

I am hoping in the future it will become available through other retailers - I will switch back to it for sure!!

Hi

we have just been using a new one that we pickup in Woolworths calld Biogestion 5 made by Natures Gift - it is all natural and preservative free.

Tilly just loves it and can't get enough, we have to cut back on the amount of dry we feed her as the food is meat based with rice and she seems to not require as much

her dry skin is no longer and she is in great health - when speaking tothe vet he also said it is a great all natural brand to use so we have moved her over to their cans as well.

it comes in a 4kg bag for $18 and lasts alot longer than the other brands.

Sophie

• 2 weeks later...

Why do people shy away from Supercoat?? My two have been on it since day one (they are now on Junior) and don't seem to have a problem. (Well i dont think so, my Rotty has a skin issue at the moment, but I am certain that it is FAD...)

Also is Great Barko or Uncle Albers okay?

I shy away from Supercoat because it's got a lot of cereal "fillers" and my dogs STINK and produce GIANT POOPS when they eat it it :cry::) As far as I'm concerned if they are getting a nice well- balanced diet, the dogs should NOT be producing the quantity OR the stench :)

I've been trying out a few different kibbles lately and so far I'm leaning towards Nutro, Eaglepack and they are currently liking Proplan - all for small breeds or puppies.

I haven't fed any Supercoat for years because of the above mentioned issues but I think I will eventually go back to Eaglepack once this lot runs out - my dogs eat the 3 brands I've said, but they seem to really THRIVE on the EP. ;)