Doggy Door Usage

Sticks1977

I have been thinking back and forth of how to setup the backyard for when the new labrador puppy arrives in late January next year. Our previous labrador (Fraser) used a large dog door (DogMate brand) from approx. 9 months of age as his main sleeping area was in the laundry. The dog door is still built-in to the external laundry door and currently is covered over with the supplied cover.

When the new pup arrives, should I encourage him to use the dog door from an early age? or keep the existing cover over the door until he has grown to a suitable height to use the door?

I will be using a baby gate to put across the internal laundry door so that the pup is able to sleep in the laundry but also see the rest of the house throughout the day. Ideally the laundry would be the area of the house that the puppy would spend most of the time in when sleeping with access to the backyard throughout the day. Approximately half of the backyard will be fenced off originally so he only has access to the rear of the yard.

If he is to use the dog door from an earlier age, I will be able to build a portable ramp for both inside the laundry and heading outside so that he would not have to jump through the door (this ramp would have to be adjustable as he gets older and grows taller).

As far as how to make the ramp - I have no idea but I'm sure a quick trip to Bunnings will sort me out... :)

Regards, Shaun (sticks1977)

Hi Shaun

A ramp sounds like a lot of trouble to me (but I am not very handy! :) ). Personally I would just leave the doggy door for when he gets a bit bigger, especially since they grow so quickly!

But totally up to you. :laugh:

I hope you join us in the lab thread so we can share in your countdown and new puppy excitement!

Cheers

Our Labby x basically threw herself through our large doggie door on day 1 and hasn't looked back since. I don't have the guts to block it as I'm sure she would give herself a brain injury. It is and always has been head first through the doggie door at 100kmh! She was 6 weeks old so I'm sure your new pup will be fine..he will just tumble, fall , flop and jump through it just like mine did!

My advice is to train the puppy like a dog, so i would be encouraging use of the door straight away. It would make toilet training a breeze.

In regards to her jumping through the door, how high off the ground is the door? Can we see a photo?

Our mini schnauzer pups are trained to use a doggy door at 6 weeks,this door is also designed for dogs of 40 kg,you dont need a ramp :rofl: .

We encourage all our puppy owners to continue with this if possible as it has established a good toilet training routine here

We got a doggy door a few weeks ago and have been trying to get our 6yr old dog used to it, he's doing ok but still waits at the other door to be let in :crazy: .

Our pup arrives tomorrow :eek: and the door we had meant we couldn't then use the laundry door as a 'human' door too. I've taken the doggy door out so we can show Nala outside to go for a wee and then will put it back in when she's a bit more settled or do you think this will be too confusing :heart:

Good luck with your new puppy :heart: Sorry to hijack!!

I started training with the doggy door the day my puppy came home. Nothing cuter than watching them stumble their way through as puppies :eek: Now she goes through at a million miles and hour and if I do lock it off (while I'm mopping the floors etc.) will headbutt it as she tries to fly through.

Made toilet training a breeze!

The with doors is the door itself,many are very heavy & solid & many dogs dont like this.

Ours is soft/clear vinyl & no issues at all for all age stages & when someone gets wacked it doesnt hurt or frighten them.

When we did havea solid door we occy strapped it up until the dogs had the idea & then introduced the door

I have six Labs, including two pups. Haven't trained any of them to use the doggy door. They just figure it out. It's just a heavy blanket flap door, but high enough to challenge a young pup. They rise to the challenge and clamber over, following the bigger dogs. What takes a little more doing is teaching them to go through the door, as opposed to, say, the closet in the back bedroom, when they need to wee.

Katy our seventeen week old pup discovered the doggy door on day two. She has been hit by the swinging door a few times, but now knows to wait for the big dogs to go through first. It also means she is polite at the door.............She waits, for anything bigger to go through first :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

If you are at all handy the ramps are good. My DH made one for the outside of the laundry doggy door so Mokha (who has Hip and elbow dysplasia) doesnt have to step down so far as he goes through. Ours is made of aluminum, DH is a welder, with a non slip stuck on coating. I use it going in and out the back door and it beats having to step up or down with my arms full of washing.I taught Mokha to use the doggy doors when he was very young.