Urgent Help Required For Puppy With Parvo

bella_bear

We bought home our new 8 wk old puppy on Saturday.

She was very happy and playful until late last night - she vomited for the first time at 10.30pm then again during the night with diahorrea.

We took her to the vet first thing this morning. The vet is fairly certain that she has Parvo, so has started her on a drip and antibiotics. Its a 24hr vet so she will be monitored and treated throughout the night. For today alone though the vet bill is $1000.

I have done some research of my own and have read alot of positive reviews/success stories with a natural rememdy called Parvaid. Has anyone heard of this product and most importantly does anyone know where I can get this from in Australia? I want to give our puppy the very best chance of survival and will try everything I can. It seems that it is best used within the first 48 hours so I need to get it quickly.

Has anyone else had a young pup with Parvo? Needless to say I am very upset at the moment and will try anything.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be getting plasma into the pup ASAP and ringing the breeder as it sounds it was contracted either there or on the way.

fluids fluids and more fluids do not disconnect that IV until the dog is eating and keeping it down. My boy had it for 3 weeks and pulled through

yes it's costly. But many survive with the right therapy ...

Very good advice given above, timing is critical!

I would be contacting the breeder ASAP so that they can be informed and notify the other puppy owners of the potential problem. The incubation period of parvo indicates that the pup already had it prior to you picking up the puppy. I am sure by now you have had the pup tested for parvo and an indication shown????I have not personally had a parvo puppy (touch wood) but I wish you all the very best for your pup. It is a hideous disease. :confused:

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

THe killer is more dehydration which means a shutdown of body systems. Too many people disconnect the IVs when the pup perks up a bit, send home and back to square one. After being through my pup (and I was the vet nurse there at the time) and seeing others in the same situation, my friend who was also the vet taught me the importance of fluids as being the lifesavers to the pup - and if the food wont stay down WHILE the dog is on IV fluids then it stays on and longer until it can eat with no vomiting.

Bug hugs to you and stay strong

We were the first to pick up our puppy from the litter. I've spoken to the breeder, she said that the other pups are now at the vet as they were showing signs of parvo and have tested positive :confused: Shes very reputable, has been breeding and showing dogs for 30 years.

The vet did say at 3pm that our puppy had only vomited and had diahorrea once in a 2hr period and that she had brightened up a little bit. But then in the next sentence said that things can get worse before they get better... So I don't know what to think.

This is just so upsetting, the vet can't really say whether or not the puppy will make it, but then I guess they don't know themselves. I just hate to think that the puppy is suffering in pain for no reason.

Yes it is a horrible horrible thing.

About 15 years ago I worked in a pet shop (yes, don't flog me. I have reformed) We had many cases of parvo over the two years I was there and the best and only thing the vet could do was keep the puppies on fluids until they had been fine for at least 48 hours. Many did seem to get better before they got worse. Most pulled through but it doesn't have a quick fix. Lets hope you got your puppy to the vet quick enough. Just keep on top of your vet and insist they keep up the fluids.

Make sure you also speak to your vet about disinfecting your house and everywhere the puppy has been (like car etc) I don't know what the vets use now but I'm sure they can recommend something. Also remember not to have any dogs over that haven't been vaccinated.

My fingers are crossed for you and I really hope your puppy pulls through.

About 25 years ago we got a puppy that came down with parvo a few days after we got him. He had had his first lot of shots, so he had some immunity. He went from 8kgs to 4kgs in one day.

On a drip at the vets for a few days. He was one sad and sorry little boy, but he pulled through okay. He was a little listless for the next week or so after coming home from the vet but quickly picked up.

As an adult dog, you would never know that he had been so sick.

Hope your puppy comes through it okay.

I'd be getting plasma into the pup ASAP and ringing the breeder as it sounds it was contracted either there or on the way.

fluids fluids and more fluids do not disconnect that IV until the dog is eating and keeping it down. My boy had it for 3 weeks and pulled through

yes it's costly. But many survive with the right therapy ...

Yes Nekhbet is spot on. Plasma and fluids are your best chance.

Other than that pray to whoever or whatever you believe in.

We lost Molly and Chuzzy in October. 6 months old and in the prime of there lives. They were healthy and in beautiful condition.

Thinking of you and praying that your new puppy will be ok. Unfortunately there is nothing that you can do but wait. Thats the hardest thing to do I realise. I found DOL my sanity as everyone understands what you are going through. :shrug:

Please let us know how your little puppy is doing.

Just want to wish you and your little girl the strength to get through this. I haven't had experience with it, and hope never to, but the stories are heartbreaking... however, there are good outcomes for some. I pray that yours and your little girls story will end well.

Hang in there.

What horrible luck. :eek:

Hang in there, even pound pups with not the best start to life have pulled through. Just let the vet give all the suportive treatment and pray puppy's little system can do the rest. :eek:

Edited by Powerlegs

Thank you all for your kind comments :laugh:

Our puppy is a Boston Terrier.

The vet called us early this morning. She said that our puppy had brightened up over night and was bouncing around. She also said that she was only sick and had diahorrea once thoughout the night.

She then called us later this afternoon and said that they had fed her during the day and she couldn't keep the food down. She did a half solid poo, so I guess thats better than nothing. The vet also said that she was a little more depressed during the day, this could be because she was feeling upset from the food.

The vet did say that she's not getting any worse, so I guess thats a good sign...

They've still got her on a drip, plasma and antibiotics.

We don't know what to think at this stage. We were so happy that she was getting better this morning, and now things aren't looking as good... Its really a rollercoaster of emotions.

Does anyone know if its normal for the pups to pick up and then drop down a bit before they get better? It has only been 2 days since the symptoms started and from what i've found from reading other peoples stories on the net it can take about a week for them to improve?

Hi bella_bear,I really hope your little pup pulls through,sending all my good wishes and luck.I cant comment much on Parvo itself,but all i know is that it is a dog owners worst nightmare,and i really do wish you all the best of luck,lots of hugs :thumbsup: and love!

Thanks for the update.

food will take a while, better the pup to have nothing and stay on a drip - food WILL put the dog backwards, it horribly irritates the digestive system! If you have ever had a massive stomach bug and eaten something mildly rich I'm sure you knew how that felt!

A tiny bit of hills ID can into a slurry with water and a little lick off a spoon was all I gave my boy. Then after half an hour another tsp and we waited. My dog was deathly sick though and dropped to almost half his body weight (he got down to about 12kg and for a 5 month old massive rottweiler it was a lot)

get them to try this if they can, and limit severely how much he gets. He will drop weight but its more important to not push him backwards at the moment. Remember too when you bring him home to take a few weeks of small bland feeds as his intestines will be severely irritated. Parvo virus actually attacks the cells lining the intestines (hence the smell, diahhrea, bloody stools etc) so you have them ease them back very slowly

Darcy has survived two bouts of HGE.

After the worst bout he was only on liquids (piglet mix) for two days. Then small amounts of Hills I/D canned food frequently. The amount of food increased and the frequency decreased over the week.

Agree that you need to start very slowly introducing food to a dog that's basically had lining of its intestines destroyed by this disease.

Edited by poodlefan