Vignetting

shmoo

OK guys - fess up - it's me you're talking about :thumbsup:

archamb.jpg

Yes I did this to most of the Santa pics from our party! - I had limited time to turn around a lot of pics, so I took the quick way of editing out the garbage bins etc, and gave a them a snowy Xmassy look - they also went into those tacky Xmassy frames that have pattened and coloured edges, so I wanted something blank between the subjects snd the card border.

People really did like them believe it or not (I know you don't)......... :D

Annie

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

crikey, I use vignetting all the time, yesterday I thought if I can see it easily in the thumbnail or small version I should cut back or something, sometimes I've deliberately left an obvious vignette for whatever reason?

though, lets have a look at my last flickr posted pics shall we? I don't think I've learnt a thing :laugh:

a white and black vignette on this one of Texas

4215572560_04d05f5405.jpg

yup, this one has a vignette too

4214802943_1a626a3e7f.jpg

another obvious one ... oh and some of that lovely, and fav of Ash's colour selection to give this real charm :welcome:

4215573658_f6f37a1d37.jpg

okay, this is ridiculous, looks like I use it all the time

4215574152_132df72be9.jpg

I knew there was a reason I read this thread

ah, 1 in 5 hasn't had a vignette applied

4214804317_cb3c5d3044.jpg

:wave: may be time to learn how to use lr better, or get photoshop or something

crikey, I use vignetting all the time, yesterday I thought if I can see it easily in the thumbnail or small version I should cut back or something, sometimes I've deliberately left an obvious vignette for whatever reason?

another obvious one ... oh and some of that lovely, and fav of Ash's colour selection to give this real charm :welcome:

4215573658_f6f37a1d37.jpg

Is it that obvious that I'm not a fan of bogan selective colour? :wave:

:laugh:

:laugh:

it was just one of those conversations I remember you having with rocco at one stage :welcome:

That took me forever to do too! :)

Although, I have had a little "what I would call success" with selective colour ... I'm not much of a fan either, to be honest, was just going for the Christmas theme, and well, you know the grass is pretty horrible. Okay, enough justifying a bad decision :mad:wave:

Photographers tend to not like it because it's a left over from the 90's and we've all done it to death.

BUT I understand that for many people it's like a new toy when they discover they can do it. As for clients who request it, we hate doing it but we also understand that while we are tired of it because we've done it so many times, the client has never had a photo of them with selective colour in it... so we do it, make them happy and the photo will never see the light of day except in the clients' home.

I have seen one extremely talented use of selective colour. Other than that, I'm still not a fan.

The original is a brighter photo. To begin with I preferred the original, but I made it more extreme to show the difference and decided that maybe I like this better

4198339236_bbedb29337_o.jpg

I think a test print is in order

I am going to go out on a limb here and say

I think it works here because it makes a part of the photo that was originally a bit flat or dull, more alive. I am refering to the top corners of the photo. The dog has natural great contrasts between dark and real blacks, but the top of the photo, the greenery does not have the range. Adding in the darkness to the top has created some real blacks up there as well which I think makes it pop more.

just talking from my point of view, working with graphite (where all you have is a tonal range and texture) this is something that has really started to stand out for me, and i wonder if that is why I think this photo more with it, but others I think it looks like a waste becuase the photo already has such great contrasts and pop.

Just a thought from me any how (a newbie with no real idea about photography) :)