Worst Experience Ever

kimzy

I am very sorry to hear of your loss and the poor service you received.

We will light a candle for your Princess here too.

I can highly highly highly recommend Bev and Martin Hopp from Pets in Peace here in Brisbane. (worth contacting even if you don't live here).

The have a proper "hearse" for the pets. They were both human funeral directors before starting Pets in Peace in 1999.

They treat the whole process with dignity and compassion.

They have always attended at our house when we let our babies go. They wait patiently and unobtrusively while you say goodbye. Thier human experience means they know what to say and when to say it. They give you back a paw print and hair lock afterwards (so you really really know they have it right), you get a certificate and a single rose.

I wouldn't trust anyone else.

Colliehound

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's hearbreaking enough to lose your little one, but appalling for that concern and rudeness to come on top of it.

I can't speak more highly of the pet cremation service that's looked after our late pets, Pets in Peace.

They first looked after Shelley, a 15 yr old sheltie, who was still beautiful with her glorious shades of red & sparkling white.

When the lady delivered Shel's ashes, she brought a fan she'd made of Shelley's hair, with every shade represented. And tied with a yellow ribbon. It was a wonderful surprise at a hard time.

That was years ago, & I'm looking right now at that same fan of beautiful hair, which I tucked away in Shelley's memory box. Unmistakedly, our girl!

They did a similar thing for our 2 tibbies, too. Nothing to do with the cost. Just a lovely thought.

Edited by mita

Little Princess is almost home. Shes at the vet at the mainland so she just has to get out to the Island.

I will definetly use Pets in Peace next time as I am in the brisbane area but i hope thats not for a while.

Thank you all for your kind words and heartfelt condolences it really does help.

Little Princess is almost home. Shes at the vet at the mainland so she just has to get out to the Island.

I will definetly use Pets in Peace next time as I am in the brisbane area but i hope thats not for a while.

Thank you all for your kind words and heartfelt condolences it really does help.

That is another sad event, Kimzy. It is always confronting when you take delivery of a little urn (I have 8 :) ). I am very sad that Princess has gone to god, and that your experience has been mixed to say the least. She was obviously an extremely precious little soul and I hope having her home will be a comfort.

When one of my little dogs was killed, a lovely person made a large candle with his image on it. This is in my study and some days the aroma is all through the room and I think of it as Tirra's aura. From time to time I pick up the candle to breathe in and relish the gorgeous perfume and think of how much I loved this little dog. It still cuts me up and breaks my heart that he has gone, but I can get comfort and pleasure now for having something beautiful and tangible to remember him by.

My sincere sympathies for the loss of your darling princess.

I'm another that will highly recommend Pets At Peace, having to sadly use them 2 weeks ago for my girl & her babies. They were wonderful, and the woman that dropped her home was absolutely wonderful, even staying for a quick chat. Very impressed.

Now, this may be a bit outlandish, and I'm not sure how DNA is affected by cremation, but if you are uncertain, perhaps contact GTE in melbourne, I'm wondering if they could DNA profile to determine whether or not the ashes are in fact your girl. If you had something with her hair on it, that could give them something to compare to. Anyway, just a thought.

Thanks for that info love my white shep. I'll see how i feel when we have her home. This may sound strange and it may be just my imagination but i swear i thought i heard her last night. She had a noise she made kinda like a raspy cough/bark when she had to go potty. She did this at night to wake me up to take her out. I thought i heard her do it last night. Im choosing to believe that its her way of saying shes still with us. That she is not in the ashes. If im a nut job then so be it.....it makes me feel better. :)

Cynthia.. Thank you for your words. I do have a little religious candle that we plan to light when shes home. She will sit on th mantle with 2 others that have gone before. We have a nice 8x10 photo and her favorite t-shirt and her bowl. When I can keep it together I will put a bunch of her pictures in an album that we have of out fur kids that have gone.

Now, this may be a bit outlandish, and I'm not sure how DNA is affected by cremation, but if you are uncertain, perhaps contact GTE in melbourne, I'm wondering if they could DNA profile to determine whether or not the ashes are in fact your girl. If you had something with her hair on it, that could give them something to compare to. Anyway, just a thought.

I often thought of doing that with the ashes of the first little dog I had cremated because I have a long swatch of her hair from her beautiful tail. Having had several more little dogs cremated since Calypso, I am convinced that I don't have her. The amount of ashes I have would probably be for the size of a Border Collie or similar and Calypso was a 2kg Maltese :) . I think the outfit at the time (RSPCA) was just putting any number of dogs into the Crematorium and sending off a random scoop.

It no longer worries me (except for the fact that places are being so dishonest and playing fast and loose with people's emotions), because I have photographs and memories, but initially it is extremely upsetting.

Edited by _Cynthia_

When my highly adored cat was killed eight months ago I was absolutely destroyed. I'd dream of him every night, and he'd be crying in pain, and I'd be running around trying to find him, but whenever I did it was too late.

I had this every night for 8 months. My psychiatrist said it is normal, but that it would only really go away when I accepted what had happend and bonded with another cat.

I got Pan, my Siamese on the 8th month. And two weeks later I had this beautiful dream, that Aubrey was lying next to my head sleeping away (as he did) he then opened his eyes, gave me a loving look. And I woke up. I cried, then smiled. To me, he had said goobye and that he was okay.

Maybe it was my brain, as I was starting to bond with my new cat? Who knows, but getting Pan really helped me come to accept what had happend.

10 years ago after my previous little girl had died as a result of a dog attack I was lying in bed one night and I swear I could feel her presence next to me on my bed where she used to lie was strange as my new dog was lying next to bed on floor and sat up and started wagging her tail but there was nothing there so perhaps there is an after life.

Kizmy, I'm so sorry you had to go through this at such a terrible time. My thoughts are with this at this terrible time. Not only do you have to have the pain of losing a beloved member of your family (19 years is a very long time), but you also had to endure insensitivies of people who should not be in this business.

I agree with the others, I would write a letter to your vet and explain how the insensitivity made you feel and stress that the business is not used by the vet for fear that other people suffer the same thing.

After we lost our first dog many moons ago, but left him at the vet (and later found out what happened), we vowed never again would we do that, we would cremate our dogs. I think after reading testimonals here, we would use Pets at Peace.

My husband talked to the Vet hospital manager and she was livid. She has asked that we write it down so that she can correctly give our vet the info and she assured us that they will deal with it. We know them well and trust them, so we are going that route with this.

We talked to the Vet Ambo people who transport pets from the island and he is going to pick Princess up next run (tomarrow unless theres an emergency) then sooner. He said he would be honored to bring her back for us. He works for the vets and He was so lovely and respectful.

She had a noise she made kinda like a raspy cough/bark when she had to go potty. She did this at night to wake me up to take her out. I thought i heard her do it last night. Im choosing to believe that its her way of saying shes still with us. That she is not in the ashes. If im a nut job then so be it.....it makes me feel better. ;)

Well, I'm a nut job, too. Our sheltie girl had a 'special' way of coming down the back garden when called. Along the fenceline... & stopping to smell the daisies on the way. After she died, I could swear I saw a flash of sheltie red & white coming down the fenceline.

They don't leave us, the bond is too strong.

My husband talked to the Vet hospital manager and she was livid. She has asked that we write it down so that she can correctly give our vet the info and she assured us that they will deal with it. We know them well and trust them, so we are going that route with this.

We talked to the Vet Ambo people who transport pets from the island and he is going to pick Princess up next run (tomarrow unless theres an emergency) then sooner. He said he would be honored to bring her back for us. He works for the vets and He was so lovely and respectful.

That's great Kimzy let the vet deal with them ;) , you do not need the stress, I am glad she let you know that she is still with you and I hope that gave you a tiny bit of peace :)

Thanks for that info love my white shep. I'll see how i feel when we have her home. This may sound strange and it may be just my imagination but i swear i thought i heard her last night. She had a noise she made kinda like a raspy cough/bark when she had to go potty. She did this at night to wake me up to take her out. I thought i heard her do it last night. Im choosing to believe that its her way of saying shes still with us. That she is not in the ashes. If im a nut job then so be it.....it makes me feel better. ;)

Cynthia.. Thank you for your words. I do have a little religious candle that we plan to light when shes home. She will sit on th mantle with 2 others that have gone before. We have a nice 8x10 photo and her favorite t-shirt and her bowl. When I can keep it together I will put a bunch of her pictures in an album that we have of out fur kids that have gone.

Not a nut job at all......I felt my Abbey( my newfie heart dog) near me for a long time, I am now convinced she has some input in my new newfie pup. She does so many of the same things, She lies in the same places and grumbles like she did. My other dogs do not do the same things. If you are a nut job, I am too

Not a nut job at all......I felt my Abbey( my newfie heart dog) near me for a long time, I am now convinced she has some input in my new newfie pup. She does so many of the same things, She lies in the same places and grumbles like she did. My other dogs do not do the same things. If you are a nut job, I am too

I have to admit then so am I I have dreams about my dogs, had one or two visit I am sure they are around and they do and will come back in another body.  Besides if it makes me a nut job knowing that my dogs come back to visit so be it. For those that do not understand this with dogs or any other animals I feel sorry for them. It is obvious they have never shared the love of an animal within their hearts, lives and minds.  An experience truly worth having even with the heartache of loosing them. 

I have to admit then so am I I have dreams about my dogs, had one or two visit I am sure they are around and they do and will come back in another body.  Besides if it makes me a nut job knowing that my dogs come back to visit so be it. For those that do not understand this with dogs or any other animals I feel sorry for them. It is obvious they have never shared the love of an animal within their hearts, lives and minds.  An experience truly worth having even with the heartache of loosing them. 

You are so right.....It hurts like hell when they go but we do it again knowing the outcome. We have 2 other dogs and a cat, all adopted from Rescues. The love and loyalty they give us are sooooo worth it. Bubbas a big ridgie X who sat for over 5 monthes waiting for adoption, he is the best at giving hugs and kissing tears away. Angel is a cattle dog who used to follow Princess around and watch her like a hawk. She made it her job to protect Princess and watch her. She is missing Princess alot also. We are so lucky to have had 19 years with Princess, so blessed. Even with the heartache I wouldnt change the experience for anything.

I can highly highly highly recommend Bev and Martin Hopp from Pets in Peace here in Brisbane. (worth contacting even if you don't live here).

The have a proper "hearse" for the pets. They were both human funeral directors before starting Pets in Peace in 1999.

They treat the whole process with dignity and compassion.

I can highly recommend their service too. I arranged for a pendant with Jamie's ashes and they managed to find a special urn for me too (so there were a few phone calls and emails arranging that, all dealt with compassionately and efficiently). They made a horrible experience less horrible than it could have been.