Sore Eye

Dame Aussie

Ok, so I was just playing fetch with Lili and she ran to grab the ball and yelped. I check her and she was closing one eye as if she'd poked it. She was over near some bamboo so I'm assuming it's poked her in the eye. She is acting completely normal and holding her eye open normally now only 5 minutes after the fact but the pupil in the sore eye is smaller than the other one so Im wondering if I need to get her to a vet or if it's safe to wait till morning and see how she is. As I said it's not causing her any discomfort that we can see but is the pupil being smaller normal with an eye that's been irritated or poked like this??

Any advice would be appreciated, neurotic Mum is freaking out! :thumbsup:

Thanks guys

Personally I would ring my vet or the emergency vet. There could be a scratch on her cornea or some other damage. I would think that if you can see something different in her eyes there is something going on. Is her pupil(s) reacting to changes in light, going from light to dark?

A small pupil after trauma is a painful eye, and you need to know whether there has been trauma to the cornea or not.

I would recommend a vet visit as soon as you can organise one - it may be over cautious but eye injuries can turn bad very quickly and 'wait and see' is not recommended.

Hey guys, thanks for your concern :thumbsup:

There's good news and bad news....the eye is not scratched or damaged (YAY!), just a bit inflamed so weve got some anti-inflammatories.

The bad news which I'm a bit worried about now is that due to one of her eyes being half green, half blue her third eyelid in that eye is white, he said this means it's more sensitive to sun etc and can lead to cancers, but there's nothing I can do except keep an eye on it for any changes/signs of irritation....so yeah that was a bit frustrating, has anyone else had this problem?

Our vet referred Zoe to an opthamologist after we took her in when she started squinting one night. The opthamologist said it looked like a plant frond had gone straight through her eye. She was "lucky" though because it went in and straight back out cleanly. :thumbsup:

She was put on some drugs to reduce swelling and healing. Worked a treat so we were able to avoid surgery to repair the lens.

Hey guys, thanks for your concern :D

There's good news and bad news....the eye is not scratched or damaged (YAY!), just a bit inflamed so weve got some anti-inflammatories.

The bad news which I'm a bit worried about now is that due to one of her eyes being half green, half blue her third eyelid in that eye is white, he said this means it's more sensitive to sun etc and can lead to cancers, but there's nothing I can do except keep an eye on it for any changes/signs of irritation....so yeah that was a bit frustrating, has anyone else had this problem?

Good news that there was no damage to the eye.

I gather she is a merle from the eye colour description and unpigmented third eyelid is to be expected in some merles. It can also happen in dogs with a lot of white (markings) on their face. Full pigmentation ie: nose, eyerims, third eyelid, lips, etc is always preferred in solid colours but patchy pigment is common and accepted in merles. Lack of pigment is always a sun damage risk so something to keep in mind with any dog, but especially merles. Most dogs with lack of pigment are simply kept out of the sun as much as possible and then don't have any problems from it but it is something you do have to watch.

The pigment problem is one of the reasons that I have no desire to ever own a merle of any breed. Apart from that the merle pattern just does not appeal to me and I am constantly amazed at the number of people who do find it attractive. :thumbsup: I know some lovely dogs that happen to be merles, especially in Aussies but I always think they would look better in another colour. :)

Glad there's no damage to your girl's eye. My girl has some vision problems and blue eyes. She doesn't like walking in bright sunlight, I have some mesh Doggles for her that I use if we're going to be out during the day, although she's not fond of them! In one eye her third eyelid is permanently exposed but opthamologist hasn't mentioned cancer but we're due for another appointment soon so will ask then about risk.

ETA: My girl is a blue merle koolie.

Edited by Jigsaw

I've heard from farmers that BC's with a lot of white around the eye and therefore no pigment to protect it are at risk of skin cancers. Bear in mind though that these dogs are primarily outside dogs that have a greater exposure to the sun than most pet dogs. She should be fine with good management and at least you are now aware so you can prevent problems. Glad to hear the eye is not damaged.

Hey guys, thanks for your concern :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Dancinbcs, yeah she is a red merle, to be honest I didn't even have merle in my mind when I went to look at her litter, there were some merles and some red tris, but she was just the sweetest thing I had to choose her :rolleyes:

It's true though, a lot of people are fascinated by merles, we get comments all the time about her.

I'll just have to be on my toes, I'm already careful with her because she has a butterfly nose with quite a bit of pink so I try to keep her out of the sun as much as I can.

But again, thanks everyone :thumbsup: