Please Make Sure Your Dogs Are Okay In The Heat

InspectorRex

Aren't those of us with some form of air-conditioning, lucky.

36 degrees will feel like a cool change by comparison to anything in the 40's.

36 is bearable.

Looking forward to the low to mid 20's for dog training's sake though :rofl:.

Hoping the more rural folks don't have any fires starting. At least it is not in the 40's for several days in a row. Respite isn't too far away. Not to say anyone should not take heed and be vigilant, but at least it is not as it was around the times of Ash Wednesday and Black Saturday. It is for those people surrounded by grass lands and bush that I feel and hope good fortune for.

Edited by Erny

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am currently working night shift (and have an rdo today) so my little angles have access to the house except for when we went out this morning. Before we went I made sure their water was full and put 2 frozen 2lbottles in the clam shell. Echo loves the clam shell from the second she got it Bob would not go in it if it was a choice between life and death.

I would have put ice in the water bowls but Echo also loves that and would have them all fished out in 1 minute.

Last year in the on the hottest days I locked Bob outside as I was living in what can only be described as a tin hot box where he had no chance of avoiding the heat. At least out side i gave him ice (not that he touches it) and he could go under the house for the cool.

Here is Echo with her clam shell a few minutes after she got it. She thinks she is a retriever instead of a lapphund.

Both of my boys have coped very well with the heat suprisingly, we have moved around a fair bit in the last 2 years and in doing so avoided hot summers.

Both boys are outside but I came home around 2.30 to make sure everything was full and cool. Resupplied the frozen esky blocks which got chucked under the caravan which is always much much cooler then any where else.

They were probably better off then me with my works air con that struggles too cool and massive store in the heat.

Bring on the cool change!!

44 in Camperdown today...the dogs fine...cool house, clam shell under big shady tree and lots of sleeping in cool tiles.

The chooks however were starting to feel it so I bought 3 bags of ice and laid two on the ground under the shade and the other one went straight into their hanging water container....picture four happy chooks nestled up to that water container and they are safe for another day...poor loves!

Aaaah... Chopper went to doggy daycare today, there is hardly any shading in our courtyard and even then I could never leave him outside all day in the heat with him being a puggy! He is off back there tomorrow as well... He is going to be absolutely buggered by tomorrow night :thumbsup: Aaaah peace and quiet for me!

Aaaah... Chopper went to doggy daycare today, there is hardly any shading in our courtyard and even then I could never leave him outside all day in the heat with him being a puggy! He is off back there tomorrow as well... He is going to be absolutely buggered by tomorrow night :o Aaaah peace and quiet for me!

There were a few dogs who came in for the day to the kennels where I train. I think that's great of owners to think of these things for their dogs :laugh:.

I was actually really glad to walk inside the kennel complex. It was soooo comfortably cool :rofl:

still about 29C at the moment

but much cooler outside than in the house

hosed down the lawn after the sun whent down so it would retain the moisture better and the lovely cooler breeze

had 2 dogs rolling around playing on some cool lawn and they loved it

rolling on their back legs up in the air :laugh:

think they were happy to be outside instead of stuck inside after the last few days

I just came back from Warrandyte and saw a dog in the car... I was walking back to my car which was parked to next to it, thinking how stinking hot it is and then I saw the dog panting away with the window down 2cm's.

Even my 8 year old daughter said.. Look mummy there's a dog in the car it will die in this heat.

If an 8 year old can figure it out why not an adult?

Anyway, the owner came out of the bakery and i said.. this your dog? she said yeh, I said good.. don't leave your dog in the car in this heat.

She said.. she's alright she went out and got some fresh air earlier and the window is down.

I just rolled my eyes, shook my head and left.

stupid woman

There was an article in the Border Mail this morning about a woman who left her dog in her car in Albury yesterday while she went into the shopping center to feed her baby, and then decided to spend another 15 minutes looking around the shops....

It was 42C in Albury yesterday....

Some people just don't get it! :thumbsup:

Had a bit of a nasty incident with the clam shell last night. Even though the dogs aren't fans I felt guilty and set it up for them yesterday.

Early this morning (2.00amish) I heard lots of splashing which went on for quite a while. Knowing the 2 young dogs aren't water fans I went out and investigated. My old dog was in the shell and couldn't get out. I had to lift her out. Poor old girl.

Had a bit of a nasty incident with the clam shell last night. Even though the dogs aren't fans I felt guilty and set it up for them yesterday.

Early this morning (2.00amish) I heard lots of splashing which went on for quite a while. Knowing the 2 young dogs aren't water fans I went out and investigated. My old dog was in the shell and couldn't get out. I had to lift her out. Poor old girl.

Oh :cry: , poor girl. Hope she is okay now.

We had 47 a couple of days ago. I was supposed to go out, but cancelled. No way I was going out and putting the two Whippets and an aged Stafford with a heart problem out in that heat!

They spent the day laying on the tiles under the aircon with the odd toilet stop - they just gave me wilting looks!

Thank goodness we have had a few cooler days.

Oh gosh that would have been scary! Poor old dear.

It's very important to teach the dogs how to get in and out of the pool- and I would never leave one with young puppies.

Went out yesterday evening... the clamshell was set up under the carport with about 2 inches of water... was going to let Ziva have a paddle (helping her in and out as she's in whelp and a bit fat lol), but just was I walked over I heard buzzing and looked in and there were maybe a dozen bees drowned, plus another dozen or so 'attacking' the toy that was in the pool? It was bizarre and scary. Needless to say, Ziva did NOT get her swim!!!

Finally starting to cool down here- strong winds though. Ick.