Jack Russell Owners

doglova

Hi,

I have always owned big dogs border collies, labs, dalmatians, kelpies now i'm thinking i would like a little dog. I'm thinking of a jack russell i'd want to show it and trial in obedience and agility. I'm concerned i wont cope with a jack i have always had active breeds but are these little guys more active than what i have had. I have spoken with 3 breeders all really nice but of course biased towards their breed. Are these guys the type of dog that will snuggle up for a cuddle as well as being active. My dlamatians were always active and loved a run at the park and a big walk each day so i'm accustomed to that but at home they would always lay inside for a cuddle. I'm just starting to look around so after some opinions. My other choice was a cavalier but i think they might be a little to quiet but also open to suggestions there as well i haven't spoken to any cavalier breeders yet they also have longer hair living on a property i thought that might get a bit hard to keep clean. I'm not in a hurry yet to get a new pup as i already have 3 dogs but 2 are old and sadly in reality wont be around in another year or so due to their age or 12 and 13 both are a bith arthritic and one has a lump that has suddenly appeared over the weekend off to the vets tommorrow morning to get it looked at

thanks in advance

I recently was looking at JRT's as well. They are an amazing breed. My main concern was we live on acerage and have a lot of cane toads, snakes, monitor lizards etc and they are a hunting breed that will seek out these nasties which can have devastating consequences.

We were at a dog show last month and one little girl fell asleep in my 4 year olds arms while she patted her. So they are definately up for a cuddle. Also being a small dog and a bit of an escape artist you have to make sure you have small dog proof fencing.

That's all I can help you with, like I said I haven;t owned them but would love to one day.

Hi,

I have always owned big dogs border collies, labs, dalmatians, kelpies now i'm thinking i would like a little dog. I'm thinking of a jack russell i'd want to show it and trial in obedience and agility. I'm concerned i wont cope with a jack i have always had active breeds but are these little guys more active than what i have had. I have spoken with 3 breeders all really nice but of course biased towards their breed. Are these guys the type of dog that will snuggle up for a cuddle as well as being active. My dlamatians were always active and loved a run at the park and a big walk each day so i'm accustomed to that but at home they would always lay inside for a cuddle. I'm just starting to look around so after some opinions.

If you've had Kelpies and Border Collies a Jack Russell should be no extra challenge, other than them occasionally disappearing into the bushes to chase rabbits. Some people do get perfect recall with them, not all.

Cuddles, absolutely, they are a very cuddly dog, or at least a lot of them are, especially the boys.

Edited by Muttaburra

I agree with whats already been said, mine is always up for whatever is happening, either a walk, swim

a game or if I just want to laze around, shes more than happy to do that as well. I got her at 8mths and had no

training what so ever and was a jumper so had to heighten the fences (previous jacks I've had were diggers and went

under the fences!!) they are great fun loving dogs.

We have a six year old wire haired Jack and he is a great little dog, he is more then happy to sit on our lap for a cuddle.

He has never dug a hole or looked like trying to escape. He will play all day with our female standard and is great at the park with other dog's.

He loves to float around our pool in a bean bag, his only problem is he has a tendency to put on weight so we have to keep that under control.

He shows little interest in the cane toads but a mouse would not survive if he is around. Not sure about snakes because we haven't had to tackle that one.

A great all round little dog

we have a broken dally.... he is the least busy dog i have ever owned. every one said he will be active and need heaps of play time and walk 3km per day min.

lets just say if leo has to run to the letter box and back (3.5km one way) he is last to finish... the jrt's beat him every time... they take twice as many steps, but he still comes last.

after we get home... he has a drink and crashes the jrt will fetch his ball for you to play some more. jrt has teeth worn down as he's ball and mouse obsessed. if you say ball or mouse in the this house he will drive you insane till he gets one of either.

the dally i find easier to train than the jrt they are smart but once they get it, tis done. the dally does it IF he feels like it.

so a pic of our mob...

gangwarfare002.jpg

after this sort of play leo the dally has a nap. the others all head off else where to get into mischief.

you will find they steal your heart. they are active... but compared to sheep dogs no more so.

post-29790-1263204873_thumb.jpg

We found a little JRT puppy in our driveway one evening last year, she would have been about 4-5 months old. She was the sweetest little thing and very smoochy and cuddly. I said to my husband that I could see how people fall in love with these little dogs.

She went to the vets the next day and was reunited with her owners but oh, I could easily have kept her if no one claimed her!

I will admit to being biased as well :o. But they are great little dogs, i have had very little trouble (training wise) with my rough coat boy. He is always up for play or training but will settle when you need him to. Harri can easily keep up with my Border Collies no problems. I have not had any snake experience but a lot of Jacks i think would take on a snake given the chance.

ETA: Just because he is pretty damn cute :laugh:.........

post-2703-1263210511_thumb.jpg

Edited by Clover

My little Jack girl was so full of life she embraced it and lived joyously. She was a cuddlebum, had great recall, got on well with everyone and was just a delight. Sadly, she was taken by a snake recently... but she did attack it, it had chunks out of it's side. Great little dogs.

I have 2 JRT's. Both are different personalities. The male is not so cuddly but does like attention and a scratch behind the ear. He is to busy for trivial BS and spends most of the day dropping rocks, lemons and acorns at my feet to get me to to play fetch. I have rolled my ankle a few times on rocks left at the back door step :laugh: .

The female is very cuddly. She is very much a hunter, kills mice, snakes (yes I hate that but she sniffs them out). Both are very independent. If you own guinea pigs or other small vermin make sure your JRT's are no where near them. They get on great with other dogs as long as the other dogs know the JRT's are boss :o . JRT's do suffer from the Napoleon Complex and will attempt to boss around even great danes. They don't care about the size of other dogs.

I have a male JRT and a female JRT x. The male loves his walks and playing ball but also loves relaxing and just being in our presence. He's not a digger or an escape artist. He has great recall and is tolerant of other dogs. The female on the other hand is a ratbag. She is DA, an escape artist who is impossible to catch, but is loveable, cute and is up for a game at any time. I adore both of them and would be hard pressed to find another breed I like as much. I also have a Maltese X who is the boss of the pack.

we have a 7 month old JRT, and while he is a little ball of energy, he is always keen for a cuddle. Jumps up on our laps at night and quite happily falls asleep there, and will come and cuddle with us in bed on the odd occasion we let him.

Great little dogs. We are looking around for another pup, and wanted to try a different breed, but nothing else stacks up to JRTs for us. I am 99% positive we will end up with another.

You don't see too many JRTs competing in obedience.. they tend to be independent and easily distracted and it can be difficult to maintain their focus.

Agility you'd have more luck.

If you have your heart set on dog sports and want a smaller dog, there are probably 'easier' breeds to consider. A Toy Poodle, a Papillon or a Sheltie would still be very active but be more people focussed than a terrier.

You don't see too many JRTs competing in obedience.. they tend to be independent and easily distracted and it can be difficult to maintain their focus.

If you have your heart set on dog sports and want a smaller dog, there are probably 'easier' breeds to consider. A Toy Poodle, a Papillon or a Sheltie would still be very active but be more people focussed than a terrier.

If you put the work in it pays off :rofl:. I have only been do formal Obedience trainig with Harri a short while and he is coming along nicely, yes he gets distracted at times (walks off in the middle of heeling :thumbsup: ) but is doing great.

Like with any dog you put the time and effort into it anything is possible. And the challenge is fun :).

I have had dobes, then kelpies for 25 years, I have gone to Australian Terriers and couldn't be happier with them. Very smart, don't bark unless warning you of someone coming, playful but coach potatoes when you want them to be, with obedience they know what you want them to do but it can be a matter of "talk to the paw" if they see something that interests them (like most terriers!).

If you put the work in it pays off :rofl:. I have only been do formal Obedience trainig with Harri a short while and he is coming along nicely, yes he gets distracted at times (walks off in the middle of heeling :thumbsup: ) but is doing great.

Like with any dog you put the time and effort into it anything is possible. And the challenge is fun :).

For some people Clover.. the "challenge" is too great and even downright depressing. I've had a couple of obedience classes where the one dog on the end of its lead looking down the paddock is the JRT and their owners have asked me "why can't he behave like the others (Labs, BCs, poodles etc).

Yep, its possible.. but how many obedience titled JRTs do you know.. or see competing? Obedience is challenging stuff with some dogs when you can't use motivators in the ring. JRT's are generally what they were bred to be.. capable of working without directions from people and not that inclined to look for them without very good training. An entire JRT will be even more challenging.

I think the Terriers and Hounds generally do better with more self rewarding sports than obedience. Even then, so many start but drop out when they can't maintain their dog's focus on them.

I'd not recommend a JRT for the OP given her stated interests. Others of course, may beg to differ.

Edited by poodlefan

I have a 2 yr old male JRT who is very busy, active, loyal, obedient, very good recall, but a complete snugglebum too. He is a very small dog with a very big heart. And yes , he thinks he is the boss of the others but a word from me puts him back in his place. The word that jumps out at me to describe him most is loyal.