Vaccination Or Titer

twodoggies2001

My young dog Jasper was 2 last September and is due for his vaccination. I am undecided as to what I should do. Should I titer or should I opt for the 3 yearly shot. My own vet, as many in my area do not know about titers and doesn't do 3 yearly vaccinations. She opts for the annual. On the other hand, I take my older boy to a homeopathic/holistic vet who will do the titer test, or the 3 yearly vaccination. What do you think I should do?

My young dog Jasper was 2 last September and is due for his vaccination. I am undecided as to what I should do. Should I titer or should I opt for the 3 yearly shot. My own vet, as many in my area do not know about titers and doesn't do 3 yearly vaccinations. She opts for the annual. On the other hand, I take my older boy to a homeopathic/holistic vet who will do the titer test, or the 3 yearly vaccination. What do you think I should do?

Titer. However if you aren't prepared to re-vaccinate if the titer results are too low then just get him the jab.

My own vet says one part of the C5 vaccination can be done every three years as per manufacturers specifications. Both the vet and the manufacturer will stand by that claim. The other part of C5 does not have a 3 year cycle and needs to be done annually. Do you think I can remember which way it goes now?

I would titer.

Do you ever need to kennel him? If not, titre, but if yes, then check that they allow titre tested dogs.

He is never kenneled

As a kennel owner never presume never,you would amazed how many people that need to suddenly board there dog which isnt vacc or titred & as such cant be boarded & it has caused all sorts of drama.s for people

edit cause the Sp was woeful LOL

Edited by showdog

Due to the recent death of my darling dally boy from a cancer that many have suggested could have been related to vaccinations (due to the type and location) I'm pretty much against vaccinating my adult dogs. I hadn't vaccinated any of them for years and had no problems at all. I only did it the year before he got the cancer because I thought I would be needing to board them. Now I just think forget boarding them, I will get a dog-sitter or stay home myself.

Personally I would titer as long as I could find someone here in Tas that does it.

Due to the recent death of my darling dally boy from a cancer that many have suggested could have been related to vaccinations (due to the type and location) I'm pretty much against vaccinating my adult dogs. I hadn't vaccinated any of them for years and had no problems at all. I only did it the year before he got the cancer because I thought I would be needing to board them. Now I just think forget boarding them, I will get a dog-sitter or stay home myself.

Personally I would titer as long as I could find someone here in Tas that does it.

All you need for titering is a vet than can draw blood and knows where to send it. :love:

Just to remind people in case there is any confustion - there is not a special injection for the 3 yearly. It is the same as the normal vaccination just that the AVA has now recommended that the C3 injection has a three year cover - That is the distemper/parvo/hep part of what most people think of as the C5 injection. Regardless of what your vet says the C3 section of the vaccination is not needed as an annual.

Kennel Cough is still believed to be needed as an annual injection (at this point anyway). C4-C5 are the parts of the vaccination that cover some of the kennel coughs - remember tho that Kennel Cough is not life threatening in itself.

If you wish to kennel you have to ensure that your boarding kennel is okay with it.

Pretty sure your vets regular pathology lab can run a titre.

From what I understand, the test is performed in the USA and takes about 2 weeks for an answer.

That's only if you want the Hepatitis component done, I believe.

Our Titres for Parvo and Distemper were done locally.

From what I understand, the test is performed in the USA and takes about 2 weeks for an answer.

Could you give me an idea of cost for the titers? I have been quoted from one vet at $250 and $180 from another.

Could you give me an idea of cost for the titers? I have been quoted from one vet at $250 and $180 from another.

Keep shopping around. I think I paid $130 and my vet's on the expensive side.

Sorry to hijack but... if you decide to titre and the results are good when do you need to do it next? Is it yearly?

Also, if the results come back low/nil I'm sure I read somewhere that that doesn't necessarily mean they have no immunity, it just means they haven't been exposed recently so do you just go ahead and vacc if they are low? (I hope that made sense :mad )

Zoe hasn't been vacc'd in quite a while and has been fine (she's nearly 11). Moose is coming up to needing his booster so I think I will go with titre testing after that.

My dog is now due for his 12 month booster and I've been debating on what to do for months.

I've eventually decided to give him a C3 (he is booked in next week) and titer as of next year. I do hope that I am making the right decision...

If your dog has already had the puppy shots and first booster I would say titer :)

As for price, I was quoted $250-$260 (can't remember the exact amount). I actually asked if I could have him tested for parvo and distemper only but was told that the hep test was part of it and I had to have all 3 :mad Might query that when I go in as there's no single vacc for hep so if other levels were good but hep was down you would have to give the whole lot anyway -or not at all- if that makes sense. And I would opt for not at all so the hep test in itself is pretty pointless :happydance2:

*sp

Edited by SecretKei

My dog is now due for his 12 month booster and I've been debating on what to do for months.

I've eventually decided to give him a C3 (he is booked in next week) and titer as of next year. I do hope that I am making the right decision...

If your dog has already had the puppy shots and first booster I would say titer :)

As for price, I was quoted $250-$260 (can't remember the exact amount). I actually asked if I could have him tested for parvo and distemper only but was told that the hep test was part of it and I had to have all 3 :mad Might query that when I go in as there's no single vacc for hep so if other levels were good but hep was down you would have to give the whole lot anyway -or not at all- if that makes sense. And I would opt for not at all so the hep test in itself is pretty pointless :happydance2:

*sp

It's not so much about the cost, but the fact that I think we over vaccinate our dogs. My vet once let slip that if she didn't do yearly shots, and the owners thought the dogs were outwardly well, she wouldn't get to see them as patients. I do believe in periodic health checks and I do take them in just for that purpose.