Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

I am going to pop in with the hope I am joining you all again, this time we are looking at getting a french bulldog, we already have a British Bulldog Winston. Only spoke via email with a breeder on the weekend. We have been looking since before Christmas. Fingers crossed for us.....

question for you all.. i work 8 hour days and not able to come home for lunch to check puppy - i only get half hour lunches so no time to come home. I plan to take a week off to settle puppy into the family. Mum is home during the day most days, however if she needs to go out she would be gone only an hour here or there.

My questions are when i go back to work, should i have her in a puppy pen or with my older dog inside? and in regards to a pen, i have about 3 of the bunnings crates, would that be fine if i set one of those up with some toys, water and a bed for her when she cannot be supervised?

I'm certainly no expert, and I am home a majority of the time, but I can tell you what I'm planning on doing after the advice I've been given :shrug:

I think you will get a sense of how the older dog and the pup get along in that week that you are home and that might help determine what you want to do. Go into it with a plan, but also play it by ear.

I have an older boy GSP and I'm only allowing supervised time together until the pup is a little bigger. I plan on keeping pup in a bedroom with a puppy pen set up and an open door crate inside that (& water etc.) I would have to feel very sure that the pen would not collapse in any way too. Also in the week you are home you should get her used to some periods of time alone in the puppy pen set up. Really make it a positive place to be.

I'm probably not saying anything you don't already know, but :)

The crate arrived yesterday! I'm worried that it's a little big for right now (but the perfect size for later) and I didn't buy any crate separator panel thingy mbobs. I'm also starting to wonder if she would prefer the crate covered so it's nice and cosy and dark and a safe place or if she will need the air flow in this hot weather.. hmm. She has a cooling mat in the crate.. Ahh well, just see how we go I guess.

16 days left! :thumbsup:

I should be told which pup is my special little girl soon and then I can share pictures with you all!

Edited by Guest

I am going to pop in with the hope I am joining you all again, this time we are looking at getting a french bulldog, we already have a British Bulldog Winston. Only spoke via email with a breeder on the weekend. We have been looking since before Christmas. Fingers crossed for us.....

:crossfingers: All the best!! Absolutely love French Bulldogs.

question for you all.. i work 8 hour days and not able to come home for lunch to check puppy - i only get half hour lunches so no time to come home. I plan to take a week off to settle puppy into the family. Mum is home during the day most days, however if she needs to go out she would be gone only an hour here or there.

My questions are when i go back to work, should i have her in a puppy pen or with my older dog inside? and in regards to a pen, i have about 3 of the bunnings crates, would that be fine if i set one of those up with some toys, water and a bed for her when she cannot be supervised?

Okay, keep in mind that I had the escape artist of the litter, so what we dealt with won't necessarily be what you deal with! :laugh:

When we got Halo, I was meant to have a week off to settle her in, however plans fell through and it didn't happen due to a change in work circumstances. She arrived on Australia Day (Wednesday), she came to work with me on Thursday as my work at the time was dog friendly, and then I had Friday, Saturday and Sunday off. While I was off, we set up the puppy pen inside the house so that when I went back to work she'd be in there, because we were worried that our older dog (who was still very much a puppy herself) might hurt her by accident. Over the weekend we put her in there a few times when we went out for an hour or so, every time when we got home she'd be exploring the house and somehow out of the puppy pen. We fixed up all the gaps stacks of times, and by Monday were certain she couldn't escape.

Went to work Monday, put the webcam on to watch her before I left for work. Got to work and she had escaped from the puppy pen already. So made out that I was sick and went home to rescue her. She was upstairs and had toileted on the carpet and I was worried would eat some power cords and electrocute herself. Fixed up more parts where I thought she was escaping from.

Went to work Tuesday. She didn't escape.

Went to work Wednesday. She stayed put in her pen most of the day until about 3pm when she escaped again. Thankfully it wasn't long until OH got home from work.

Wednesday night we moved the pen outside, thinking that she was obviously escaping because she was lonely without Akira. At work on Thursday, I had no way to watch her with the webcam when she was outside so don't know what happened. OH got home from work and found that she'd escaped the pen again and was playing with Akira.

OH had the day off on Friday and supervised the two together for the day. Over the weekend we took the pen down and Halo went outside with Akira from then on while we were at work.

Thanks for the help. I'll see how we go, knowing my older dog (who will be 7 in september) she will be gentle with puppy but also able to put up with a silly puppy. Charlotte is silly herself at times so hopefully she takes puppy in her stride and we wont need to seperate much, unless they are playing a bit rough!

Whoa Halo indeed was the escape artist. I remember going to see the litter when halo was 7 weeks and she was the only one who escaped the puppy room :rofl:

Whoa Halo indeed was the escape artist. I remember going to see the litter when halo was 7 weeks and she was the only one who escaped the puppy room :rofl:

Yeah she was rotten as a pup. I remember LM saying to me that I was one of the only puppy buyers she'd let Halo go to because I had Akira and was used to Spitz breeds and would therefore be able to cope with her testing me. She's such a lovely well-trained adult now though - though I have felt like strangling her the past few days with her whinging and barking while she's been in season!

We (or just me) are in need of some puppy pics in here :swing:

edit: Also happy 6 week birthday to my pup! Not long now :cheer:

Edited by Guest

Ooh I only just came across this thread, what good timing!

I will soon be the proud owner of my second Italian Greyhound! Dante just turned 1, and we said once he turns 1 we will look at getting another...... Well the turn of events that have led to us getting this puppy just proves it was meant to be!

She is blue and white and just a fat little slug at the moment, she opened one eye yesterday. We can not wait for her to grow and be old enough to freight down to Melbourne.

I am so excited to have a puppy again!

Ooh I only just came across this thread, what good timing!

I will soon be the proud owner of my second Italian Greyhound! Dante just turned 1, and we said once he turns 1 we will look at getting another...... Well the turn of events that have led to us getting this puppy just proves it was meant to be!

She is blue and white and just a fat little slug at the moment, she opened one eye yesterday. We can not wait for her to grow and be old enough to freight down to Melbourne.

I am so excited to have a puppy again!

Photo please! I love the slug phase

This is my boy as a biggish slug at 5 weeks, we are hopefully getting a little sister for him soon. The puppy will actually be a full sister to our boy and his mum is about 3 weeks away from whelping but doesn't throw many girls so we are waiting with :crossfingers:

post-37184-0-97622500-1330069546_thumb.jpeg

Have you decided on a name yet Unu?

Not yet.. but I keep referring to her as Dovah so maybe I have a little ;) Just going to have to wait and see what suits her..

Simi is so unbelievably adorable (and still so much smaller than I imagined!) Looking forward to more pics :)

Flower and Erin, I don't have any pics yet :( breeder is not good with the camera and technology so I just have to wait patiently.

Erin, your boy is so handsome!

This is Dante.

31c3775e-42d0-337d.jpg

lol! Um is he in a pair of dropped pants?! Very cute boy, I bet he will love having another body to curl up with, someone I know with Iggys and whippets has lots of photos of them in a pile in one bed