Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

I'm still debating the same, Smash, so looking forward to the responses.

I've also started to doubt my unwavering decision to have Louis sleep with me at night. Because of my disability, I'm often bed-bound and that's when I will need his company the most, which is why we thought he'd just sleep with me. But maybe he could use the crate at night and just learn that he's allowed up on the bed with me during the day (on bed-bound days).

Decisions, decisions....

Melina Bea, I have chronic health problems and am often bed ridden too frown.gif

Our older 2 cavs sleep on the bed already with me and keep me great company when im not well or in pain.

With Miah because she was quite tiny when we got her, we did set up a pen by our room at night for the first about month and half.. Shes now almost 6 months and still small but we have a wooden toy box and another step at the end of our bed they all can get up and off the bed easily with.. She knows to use them to get up and down.

Luckily shes a small breed as being a puppy shes all over me still lol but shes quite light. Im not sure with my health issues i could have a heavier type of dog pouncing all over me embarrass.gif

In the beginning when we first got her, i did nap/rest a fair bit on our couch in the loungeroom rather than on our bed, so she could be close to me still :)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Yeah I'm definitely crate training but then my partner and I work full time so he has to get used to spending time on his own (of course I will try drop in each day to check on him). I won't crate him during the day , but his crate will be open for him to use in his pen/room. He will sleep in his crate next to my bed but of course can come up for cuddles before and after sleep time! I just need to try to avoid separation issues somehow and am hoping crate training will help...! I figure he will know its a safe place he can go any time.

Melina Bea, I have chronic health problems and am often bed ridden too frown.gif

Our older 2 cavs sleep on the bed already with me and keep me great company when im not well or in pain.

With Miah because she was quite tiny when we got her, we did set up a pen by our room at night for the first about month and half.. Shes now almost 6 months and still small but we have a wooden toy box and another step at the end of our bed they all can get up and off the bed easily with.. She knows to use them to get up and down.

Luckily shes a small breed as being a puppy shes all over me still lol but shes quite light. Im not sure with my health issues i could have a heavier type of dog pouncing all over me embarrass.gif

In the beginning when we first got her, i did nap/rest a fair bit on our couch in the loungeroom rather than on our bed, so she could be close to me still :)

That was my reason for getting a toy breed too!

I had set things up so that he wouldn't fall, and I wouldn't crush him either. I was quite adamant that he'd sleep with me. I'm now wondering if it would be a better idea for him to get used to the crate, in case of future changes. For example, if we have to go away and can't take him, it'd be extra hard on someone else, or if I'm having a really bad night, I'll need extra room to accommodate my achy limbs! (Hard to explain on here).

Basically, I realise he can come sleep with me in the future, but that if he sleeps with me from the beginning, I can't really move him to a crate later on. Not without a lot of drama.

Yeah I'm definitely crate training but then my partner and I work full time so he has to get used to spending time on his own (of course I will try drop in each day to check on him). I won't crate him during the day , but his crate will be open for him to use in his pen/room. He will sleep in his crate next to my bed but of course can come up for cuddles before and after sleep time! I just need to try to avoid separation issues somehow and am hoping crate training will help...! I figure he will know its a safe place he can go any time.

I would try to get him used to being alone (for short periods of time) before you go back to work.

This is a great video for it:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=LGxhcb-itO4

At the 8:30 mark she also shows you how to condition the pup to get used to you leaving (opening the door, etc).

(She has great videos in general, you can find the full list here: http://www.kikopup.com/Dogmantics/Free_Video_List.html )

Edited by Melina Bea

Id probably get him to use to being in a crate and or a pen like i did with Miah, because you never know when they might need to get used to other options in their lives for whatever reasons :)

Yes, I'm starting to come to this conclusion. Amazing, I was so adamant!

I would try to get him used to being alone (for short periods of time) before you go back to work.

At the 8:30 mark she also shows you how to condition the pup to get used to you leaving (opening the door, etc).

(She has great videos in general, you can find the full list here: http://www.kikopup.com/Dogmantics/Free_Video_List.html )

Thanks! Yep - we will smother him tomorrow of course! But Sunday / Monday I will let him spend some time alone in his pen (at first with me in view) and also completely alone. Tuesday my friend is staying at our house with him so she will follow the same rules. Then Wed/Thu/Fri my partner is working from home but might go into the office for a couple of hours. Then another weekend where I can control things again! I'm going to be a bit of a control freak...

I already get ANNOYED when other people try to tell me how to raise my puppy - I feel like I know it all after reading these forums for the past few months! :laugh: I said to someone yesterday "I wouldn't tell you how to raise your daughter" :rofl:

http://m.youtube.com...p&v=LGxhcb-itO4

(She has great videos in general, you can find the full list here: http://www.kikopup.c...Video_List.html )

Thanks! Yep - we will smother him tomorrow of course! But Sunday / Monday I will let him spend some time alone in his pen (at first with me in view) and also completely alone. Tuesday my friend is staying at our house with him so she will follow the same rules. Then Wed/Thu/Fri my partner is working from home but might go into the office for a couple of hours. Then another weekend where I can control things again! I'm going to be a bit of a control freak...

I already get ANNOYED when other people try to tell me how to raise my puppy - I feel like I know it all after reading these forums for the past few months! :laugh: I said to someone yesterday "I wouldn't tell you how to raise your daughter" :rofl:

If it's good advice, take it :)

If it's "You have to chain that pup up so it knows it's place" advice, yea tell them to F off.

Edited by LisaCC

I planned to perhaps feed puppy and leave for work, while the other half sleeps in and leave puppy to his own devices for an hour and try keep to it from the get-go. However he is soft as anything and it wouldn't surprise me if puppy made it to bed after I leave...

I bought this toilet as recommended by another DOLer... http://www.luckypet.com.au/spotty-indoor-dog-toilet.html

It should arrive next week so I'm just using pee pads in the meantime. I'm training him to use those as he'll be penned when I go back to work and I don't have the option of coming home during the day (I work an hour away). This toilet has a very low step so shouldn't be a problem.

If we're outside playing and he wees then I praise him then as well but just focusing mainly on the pads/toilet at the moment.

ETA: I plan on having Nacho sleep with me eventually (Moose does) but not until he's a bit older and toilet trained and not until they're actually friends. :laugh: He loves his crate now though so he's been sleeping like an angel at night.

Edited by moosepup

I hope it didn't come off that way! I wouldn't try to tell someone how to raise their pup, and I also get really annoyed when people assume I haven't done any research. I just thought that video list was a good resource to have :-)

I bought this toilet as recommended by another DOLer... http://www.luckypet.com.au/spotty-indoor-dog-toilet.html

It should arrive next week so I'm just using pee pads in the meantime. I'm training him to use those as he'll be penned when I go back to work and I don't have the option of coming home during the day (I work an hour away). This toilet has a very low step so shouldn't be a problem.

If we're outside playing and he wees then I praise him then as well but just focusing mainly on the pads/toilet at the moment.

ETA: I plan on having Nacho sleep with me eventually (Moose does) but not until he's a bit older and toilet trained and not until they're actually friends. :laugh: He loves his crate now though so he's been sleeping like an angel at night.

Thanks for the link, I hadn't considered a petloo, but for that price I might just get that one.

I hope it didn't come off that way! I wouldn't try to tell someone how to raise their pup, and I also get really annoyed when people assume I haven't done any research. I just thought that video list was a good resource to have :-)

No no! I meant random people who don't even have / have never had dogs. Especially people who've never raised puppies. I'm like erm... Not exactly qualified to give advice now are we... :)

Those videos are great - I like getting lots of ideas and diff perspectives

Sounds like the pads might be the way to go then.

--Lhok

So only train inside for now?

I would only go with one method of toilet training for now, as it will be confusing for the little guy. Plus do you see yourself running down the stairs in your jimjams at 4am in the morning? :laugh:

--Lhok

Smash - Oh ok! I thought I might have offended you, but yeah I totally agree!

Look - Hmm it sounds like I should just stick with indoor too. We're not in a flat, but "Winter is coming" to Canberra and I can see myself eschewing the outdoors, especially because we don't have good lighting. Thanks, I now have an excuse not to get out :D