Byron Wants To Know! What Breed Am I?

Skruffy n Flea

aawww thanks mother moocher :) i'm told daily umpteen times i'm a beautiful boy *coyness* and i get called baby bear sometimes! i reckon cuz i look like a baby polar bear cub ;)

somewhere i reckon a maltese snuck into my genes *slow nod* but i don't have wavy hair *shrugs* so i thot i be intermixed with a chinese crested cuz of my skin ... dunno but *sadness*

i look like yoda when my ears are out and forward and if my ears don't get ouda that habit, my forever humans gunna be calling me that!!! *yelp*

it's really no biggy to know what made me, cuz i'm safe now ;)

but it would be nice to know something :)

He is cute,,but noone here can tell you anything....no matter how good they think they are...

Pay up for the bitza test or do the DNA test,,,if you REALLY want to know....

Other than that he is a terrier type...

Looks like the product of an accidental pregnancy we had with our dogs as kids (yes, parents know better now!) - maltese x yorky (or silky). They had 4 pups and the face of this dog looks very similar to theirs, except the pups turned out light brown. Not that that part matters, being a cross and all, I'm surprised all 4 pups turned out identical ;) The "pups" are now 15 years old, and all 4 stayed in the family :)

More like pay for the BITSA test if you would like a laugh. The results of this test are pretty unaccurate and unless he is an F1 cross they won't be able to tell you much

He is cute,,but noone here can tell you anything....no matter how good they think they are...

Pay up for the bitza test or do the DNA test,,,if you REALLY want to know....

Other than that he is a terrier type...

I'd say Maltese/JRT and as cute as he is, I do wish people would stop making money from cross breeding dogs!

Many good reasons for it but people can get dogs that are predominantly breeds that don't suit them - thanks to Pet Shops and Back Yard Breeders.

As an example, I've got a rescue dog here which is most likely a Papillon/JRT cross, looks cute like the Papillon but acts like a JRT! I've got to be very careful when placing her, needs to be a home that can cope with a JRT.

In the second photo he looks like he has dark nails. Does he? Also does he have a dark/blackish tinge to his skin? With those dark eyes and nose he could easily have some westie in there somewhere... whatever he is he's a very cute terrier cross!

Edited by westiemum

:flame: thanks everyone for your replies! i didn't really expect to find out exactly what i am cuz that would be just amazement!!!

nannas, i reckon i got more than just a few bits in me and srsly, are any of them tests even accurate on known breed mixes!??! *shrugs* i'm just sayin'...

as for being a terrier type, heeellloooooo!

rubystar thanks :rofl: would you have some pix of em!??!

valleywa, what's F1 mean? and yeah, i knew as much about them tests :rofl:

gillybob, bella [my adoptive ruler] is a jrt/malt too and apart from our colouring we don't really resemble each other ... and she's got wavy hair where mine lays flat! i guess tho that some of the same litter can be different, but my face is a whole lotta different! any pix you can share!??!

dogmad, i so hear ya cuz if peeps were responsible about breeding, i wouldn't be in this dogawful pickle! srsly!

oh and btw, my humans have plenty room in their hearts for more lost and broken doggies, but my progress has been slow ... i wish i could tell em what my life was like before...

mutt lover, :cheer: i'll take a look at the westies cuz maybe that be where i get my straight hair from! all the malts i've ever known have that loooonnngggg wavy mess of hair! not often but even bella's hair gets matted and she be only part malt!

kirty, def some jrt huh! sometimes from the back my humans can't tell me and bella apart and she is absolutely jrt/malt so i reckon yeah, i got in me some jrt :D

poodle mum, you have a doggie that looks just like me in your puppy class?!?!? OMD, do you have a pic!??! can you ask his humans for me what breed their dog is!??! can you tell em to tell whoever they got him from to plse STOP! you don't think i'm part poodle do ya!??!

border lover, interesting ... thanks ;)

westiemum, hhmmmmm, i bedda take me a look at some westies ... you're not the first in this thread to say that!

as for my nails, they're all pink but my skin is mottled! when i first arrived at my forever home my humans thot i mighta had some chinese crested in me but then later decided that i mighta had some long haired chi instead.

bertandsally *giggles* YUP :vomit: but the devil part of me is still buried deep ... i need to talk to some experienced rescuers/fosterers cuz i'm still not sure about things and maybe they can help me understand that it's all okay now and i can finally be happy...

k, so yeah ... i've appreciated everyone's comments and thots and if i ever get closer to understanding who i am and how i fit you lot will be the first to know :)

byron

Just because a cross breed dog doesn't have the coat of a maltese or westie, doesn't mean there isn't maltese or westie in there. The other breed(s) could be responsible for the coat. Just look at the 'designer dogs' like cocker spaniels x poodles. Some have the poodle coat, some have the cocker coat, some have a coat which is neither here nor there.

Cross breeds are just that, they don't breed 'to type', so there will be wild variations in appearance between one JRT/malt and another especially if the parents weren't pure either. The predominant breeds I *think* I can see in Byron are maltese and JRT, but really, does it matter?

How long has he been with you, how do you interact with him, and what specifically about his behaviour makes you think he is having trouble settling in? If you can describe his issues, perhaps we can give you some practical advice? For example, dogs that are very timid and unsure often benefit from being virtually ignored until they pick up the routine, gain some trust in you and approach you of their own accord. Showering uncertain dogs with cuddles and affection can confuse them, and even reward timid/frightened behaviour.

Edited by Longclaw