Shoes For Dogs

Tali

I am wondering if anyone has tried shoes for their dogs, and if so, were they successful?

I live in Brisbubble, and it is very hot here for a lot of the year. Jess and I walk all year around, but I've noticed she doesn't like walking on grass around the neighborhood (parks are ok) - she got a prickle or two early on and has seeminly decided that the road/footpath is a much better option.

I am worried that the pavements etc are too hot for her paws though, and am thinking about doggy-boots or similar. I try to walk in cooler times of day, but even by 7.30 am the pavement here is too hot to walk on for me. OK, Other Half says I have gone completely nuts, but I just wondered if others have tried these and how successful they were?

I'm in Bris also, and yeah, those pavements get awfully hot. I've decided that I just need to either walk early morning, like, before 7am, and then after 5.30pm as it's cooling down then, and the pavement is ok. If we're out in the middle of the day, like on the weekends, it's only at leash free parks where she can run on the grass and then doze in the shade under a tree - it's just too hot this time of year. I'm looking forward to winter when I can walk anytime!

I've also considered getting some for Sash for the exact same reason... my only concern is what poodlefan said - she probably won't walk at all in them :) Oh that, and OH will think I'm absolutely crazy... I get away with alot with my dogs, but boots may tip him over the edge LOL

Also agree that if I do ever buy them, Ruff Wear will be the ones I get. An example of them here:

http://www.topdogs.com.au/categories/Dog-Boots/

Edited by Kelly_Louise

I got my Dane some a few years ago due to prickles in the park BUT they rubbed on her, I believe you can get special socks that go in them now.

It takes a little whilt for them to realise how to walk....if anything it's pretty entertaining.

The lady who owns the paddock where i keep my horse has a border collie, which has full run of her house and she keeps shoes on her so not to scratch her nice polished wood floors. Looks hilarious!! But Tillie keeps them on perfectly! There is a brand name on the front, but can't think of it right now, and they look like fairly soft suedey type material that velcro around the leg.

My mum makes boots out of polar fleece with velcro fasteners for Kosta but they're for inside use during wet weather. Might be worth trying to make some before you fork out for some on the off chance Jess refuses to walk a step in them.

ETA:I just found a pic on mum's facebook with Kosta wearing them. If you can see amongst the soft toys they're the camouflage pattern to match is collar.

6096_1173330886641_1029099781_30555.jpg

Edited by Kostafan

I got some boots for mine very early on when they were a fairly new concept... they worked well and stayed on but spartan never got used to them. I got them for him because of his bad allergies - in fact his breeder sent them to me from Vic. they helped for a whilebut spartan used to run everywhere in a panic for at least half an hour before he got used to them.

My mum makes boots out of polar fleece with velcro fasteners for Kosta but they're for inside use during wet weather. Might be worth trying to make some before you fork out for some on the off chance Jess refuses to walk a step in them.

ETA:I just found a pic on mum's facebook with Kosta wearing them. If you can see amongst the soft toys they're the camouflage pattern to match is collar.

6096_1173330886641_1029099781_30555.jpg

Such a Gorgeous Pic..

Is that a telletubby without a head??

I like the Ruff Wear Grip ones, I used them on Smooch when he was learning to walk after suffering a spinal stroke, they gave him a bit of grip on the tile floor. Also stopped him from wearing his toes when he was dragging his back leg. I did use baby socks in the shoes basicely he was wearing the shoes all day.

I bought some vinyl type ones at a pet shop with velcro around top as lady was a city dog before we moved to country and since getting prickle bindi things in her feet won't walk on the grass or gravel roads will only walk on footpaths or the road which makes it a bit hard when you want to go for walk now we live in the country, so I take her into town in car and take her for walk around town on the FOOTPATH! :cheer: But in answer to the question no they don't stay on so I just bought some baby socks from safeway and put a bit of electrical tape around the top and that works better.

Thanks all - I appreciate the advice (and the beautiful piccie!). Think I will try to make some/practice with socks before I lash out the money - as suggested, Jess may not want them on her feet... but if she will wear them, it would make walking a lot easier.

The ruff wear boots are very very cute!!

Of course, hubby may very well draw the line at doggy boots... he copes with dogs in house, dog toys everywhere, puppy puddles and sharing his bed with one Sheltie (Stig is being crate trained!), but the boots might just push him over!

:cheer:

Actually, this is quite interesting to me too, I was looking at getting some for Sabby for bushwalking. He cut his foot on the rocks once and I haven't taken him out again. But I thought that if he had boots on then he would be safe.

Strangely enough he is quite happy to wear socks which is why I thought he would go ok with boots. He will even leave a bandaid on if I put it on his foot :dummy: