Stewards

Ceilidh

:) I wasn't the steward, but was standing next to him as group was being called, when an exhibitor also standing next to us loudly proclaims to the steward (and presumably for the judge to overhear)

"HE ONLY NEEDS TO TAKE THE GROUP FOR HIS GRAND" :thumbsup:

And what about the people who call their dogs by the call name of their best winning dog - even if said dog would be 19 by now!!!

Agree with the toy people being the worst.

I was stewarding toys about 6 months ago and a friend who is also a steward wandered up and said "who did you piss off to wind up with this ring?" :)

Terriers can also suffer from the "a bazillion little dogs in crates" syndrome tho'. JRTs especially.

One of my favs - ol time steward calling in open bitch class "I need some old bitches - - - and some dogs as well would be good" :)

- he says it at nearly every show - still funny.

or

Steward: "Where's the old bitch"

Other exh: "She's in the ring sir"

:o

:o:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I know who this is and I will add a few more jems.

Havasquezze. ;) ;)

First call, second call, dead dog.

Laurie definitely livens up the day. :):thumbsup::):laugh:

I was stewarding toys about 6 months ago and a friend who is also a steward wandered up and said "who did you piss off to wind up with this ring?" :)

Terriers can also suffer from the "a bazillion little dogs in crates" syndrome tho'. JRTs especially.

:)

I love seeing the slow Toy people being stewarded by an efficient steward. There is inevitably one who want to make judging his/her three dogs take as long as the 25 Cavs took, and it is priceless to see a steward, unmoved by their flapping, chatting, lead changing, dog swapping, and more chatting antics, and just go through the first call, second call routine. Amazing how quick they can be if they actually have to!

I've only shown in the Toy group, so dont know if this happens in other groups, but there are also sometimes exhibitors who think the show has to wait for them. They call 'just a minute' or 'I'm here' when their number is called, then keep grooming for a bit, change their jacket, say hello to a friend, pick out some bait and stroll slowly to the ring. I soooooo want to see one of these people called absent in the 3 mins it takes them to get to the ring :thumbsup: OK maybe I am mean ......

Terrier people also seem to be frantic like their dogs and rushing about at a zillion miles an hour :)

There should be a limit on how many dogs per lead you can use :thumbsup: It's not like they are expensive!!

I was watching Group Specials at the Sydney Royal. They had a nameboard with the name of the judge judging the Group and they had failed to change it from the previous Group. I pointed to the board and mimed a rectangle to the Steward, who understood and changed the board. He quietly made his way over to me about 5 minutes later and whispered “I initially thought you were calling for the third umpire.”

We get a steward in SA that calls out (WHile the Staffordshire terriers are in) can we have the foxies to the ring. Obviously any foxies entered would have already been in by now. But he always waits till we are in the assembly area then yells it out anyway (With a voice that doesn't need a megaphone). The bastard knows I hate my dogs being called foxies so thats why he does it.

If this me in this position I would make a complaint to the committee every time he done it!!

And if it kept on happening then I would make a complaint to the state board.

That is just sheer rudeness, and they thought that he could be training for his judges licence is just not a good one.

I was watching Group Specials at the Sydney Royal. They had a nameboard with the name of the judge judging the Group and they had failed to change it from the previous Group. I pointed to the board and mimed a rectangle to the Steward, who understood and changed the board. He quietly made his way over to me about 5 minutes later and whispered “I initially thought you were calling for the third umpire.”

LOVE THIS ONE !!! ;) :eek::laugh: :D

I was watching Group Specials at the Sydney Royal. They had a nameboard with the name of the judge judging the Group and they had failed to change it from the previous Group. I pointed to the board and mimed a rectangle to the Steward, who understood and changed the board. He quietly made his way over to me about 5 minutes later and whispered "I initially thought you were calling for the third umpire."

;) :eek:

BRILLIANT

I was stewarding toys about 6 months ago and a friend who is also a steward wandered up and said "who did you piss off to wind up with this ring?" :eek:

I love seeing the slow Toy people being stewarded by an efficient steward. There is inevitably one who want to make judging his/her three dogs take as long as the 25 Cavs took, and it is priceless to see a steward, unmoved by their flapping, chatting, lead changing, dog swapping, and more chatting antics, and just go through the first call, second call routine. Amazing how quick they can be if they actually have to!

I've only shown in the Toy group, so dont know if this happens in other groups, but there are also sometimes exhibitors who think the show has to wait for them. They call 'just a minute' or 'I'm here' when their number is called, then keep grooming for a bit, change their jacket, say hello to a friend, pick out some bait and stroll slowly to the ring. I soooooo want to see one of these people called absent in the 3 mins it takes them to get to the ring ;) OK maybe I am mean ......

As as steward, I can only agree with this description!!

I tell the toy exhibitors that we must go as fast as possible to beat the other ring. I start yelling for the breed at least 5 minutes before necessary, so that they have time to get the trolleys over, and tell them the judge only wants a small triangle. Overall I find they are quite good, but I am training them up !! Pug people are the worst in the toys, but I have more trouble with the super professionals and their Siberians etc. And for some reason, the Golden Retreiver people are a problem too.

At a show at the end of least year when it was very hot, I got to the very last dog, when the Tibetan Terrier exhibitor decided that unlike everyone else at the show, she wasnt going to step up to ringside, be ready to go in and stand in the shade of the writers gazebo (no shade for judge or steward incidentally), but stay where she was and gave me a mouthful. As I had spent all day moving the table in and out the ring trying to keep it cool, and it was hot, I had had no break all day and was trying to keep paperwork flowing for a new set of people running the show, I decided there and then, it was enough. I finished the group, declined to run General Specials and am taking 18 months off from stewarding!!

I was stewarding toys about 6 months ago and a friend who is also a steward wandered up and said "who did you piss off to wind up with this ring?" :p

:dummy:

I've only shown in the Toy group, so dont know if this happens in other groups, but there are also sometimes exhibitors who think the show has to wait for them. They call 'just a minute' or 'I'm here' when their number is called, then keep grooming for a bit, change their jacket, say hello to a friend, pick out some bait and stroll slowly to the ring. I soooooo want to see one of these people called absent in the 3 mins it takes them to get to the ring :dunce: OK maybe I am mean ......

As as steward, I can only agree with this description!!

I tell the toy exhibitors that we must go as fast as possible to beat the other ring. I start yelling for the breed at least 5 minutes before necessary, so that they have time to get the trolleys over, and tell them the judge only wants a small triangle. Overall I find they are quite good, but I am training them up !! Pug people are the worst in the toys, but I have more trouble with the super professionals and their Siberians etc. And for some reason, the Golden Retreiver people are a problem too.

At a show at the end of least year when it was very hot, I got to the very last dog, when the Tibetan Terrier exhibitor decided that unlike everyone else at the show, she wasnt going to step up to ringside, be ready to go in and stand in the shade of the writers gazebo (no shade for judge or steward incidentally), but stay where she was and gave me a mouthful. As I had spent all day moving the table in and out the ring trying to keep it cool, and it was hot, I had had no break all day and was trying to keep paperwork flowing for a new set of people running the show, I decided there and then, it was enough. I finished the group, declined to run General Specials and am taking 18 months off from stewarding!!

;) That's awful Roishana. Did you tell the show committee that one of the exhibitors had abused you? Some people dont know a good thing when they see it (ie an efficient, experienced steward).

On the slowness, I find that it is a different breed depending on where the show is. In my area one particular breed is notoriously slow, but when I showed in Vic is was another breed entirely. Ditto in Qld. Around here the Pug exhibitors are always ready in advance and have people helping to change dogs over, so Pug judging goes relatively quickly (I would say that though as I often help to handle Pugs :p )

We get a steward in SA that calls out (WHile the Staffordshire terriers are in) can we have the foxies to the ring. Obviously any foxies entered would have already been in by now. But he always waits till we are in the assembly area then yells it out anyway (With a voice that doesn't need a megaphone). The bastard knows I hate my dogs being called foxies so thats why he does it.

If this me in this position I would make a complaint to the committee every time he done it!!

That is just sheer rudeness, and they thought that he could be training for his judges licence is just not a good one.

Nah not worth a complaint. He only does it too wind me up and he knows its going to work every time. Seeing as he organises four shows in one weekend and then has to stand there all day (for three days) and stewards as well, if he gets a laugh out of it to break the monotony then fine by me. However I will say that in all other respects he is a good steward and doesn't mind pushing people along if they are a bit slow. Especially on the last day of a weekend.

He's the sort of person that if you were stuck he would help out when he could. He just likes stirring a bit when he can.

I have seen him help an exhibitor out when they had two dogs to take into the ring for a runoff and they didn't have a handler available (called away to run their own dog). There he was clipboard and sheets in one hand and dog in the other.

JSK if it did happen to you.............

Did you ever stop think that the steward may be an all breeds judge????

Many all breeds judges still steward in Qld. Some say things just for a bit of fun, don't take it to seriously.

Many all breeds judges still steward in Qld. Some say things just for a bit of fun, don't take it to seriously.

Firstly I know that many all breeds judges steward in QLd I am far from a new exhibitor!

But I took it as yarracully was upset by what the steward was saying by the way she phrased it:

My mistake.

But yes if a stewarding was doing something on a regular basis that upset me I would make a complaint, and I have done so before and yes the steward was an all breeds judge. The steward/ judge did come and apologise and told me he didnt realise that I was upset by it, and yes I have been under this judge since (I did have hesitations) and he never held a grudge.

Firstly I know that many all breeds judges steward in QLd I am far from a new exhibitor!

But I took it as yarracully was upset by what the steward was saying by the way she phrased it:

My mistake.

But yes if a stewarding was doing something on a regular basis that upset me I would make a complaint, and I have done so before and yes the steward was an all breeds judge. The steward/ judge did come and apologise and told me he didnt realise that I was upset by it, and yes I have been under this judge since (I did have hesitations) and he never held a grudge.

In all fairness JSK I can understand how you might have gotten that impression from the word I used. I call him that too his face anyway. It doesn't upset me greatly, as such, just winds me up. Myself and others have spent years of trying to get away from our breed being refered to as Mini Foxies, as they aren't and I think this fact alone is why he winds me up about it. He just knows he will always get a bite from it.

By the way JSK, Yarracully is not a "she". No offence taken by the way

One of my favs - ol time steward calling in open bitch class "I need some old bitches - - - and some dogs as well would be good" :cry:

- he says it at nearly every show - still funny.

or

Steward: "Where's the old bitch"

Other exh: "She's in the ring sir"

:(

Does the steward say that for every OB class?

My mistake.

In all fairness JSK I can understand how you might have gotten that impression from the word I used. I call him that too his face anyway. It doesn't upset me greatly, as such, just winds me up. Myself and others have spent years of trying to get away from our breed being refered to as Mini Foxies, as they aren't and I think this fact alone is why he winds me up about it. He just knows he will always get a bite from it.

Oops crap. :) Sorry.

I've been called in as a Manchester, German spitz, German pointer, German terrier, Mini doberman....and that was in the run of just two weekends...by the same steward....all of which I knew and took as a joke....I just stood at the gate til he reamed off all the names and came up with the right one..then I went in the ring!

• 3 weeks later...

My mistake.

Oops crap. :vomit: Sorry.

No problems. Though you do raise an interesting point in that while some people may take it as a joke and laugh it off, others may find it offensive. It is a very thin line which is easily crossed, albeit, accidently.