Stewards

Ceilidh

Inspired by the other stewards thread.

For those that do actually steward, what are some of the 'gems' that have been said to you.

I will repeat my story but I do have a million of them and I have only been stewarding a short time...

Exihibitor :: Steward my dog has relieved themselves clean it up, its over there (at this time I was getting the next class ready)

Steward :: So you want me to clean up after your dog?? IS that what you want??

Exhibitor :: Well you are getting paid to do it.

Steward :: Yes your Royal Highness I am a mere servant here to service you :p

:) BTW yes you get paid to steward but most of the time you give it back to the club, and it is not a fortune or worth it !!

Also to answer your thought I gave her the pooper Scooper and said clean up your own dogs mess I am busy !!!!!

;) She cleaned it up with a clap from the crowd !!!!!

I stewarded alot in my younger years & i reckon it turned me old quickly :p

Im sorry to say the toy people are :p 10 dogs.1 lead.

Asking if its betty or bill needed ,(open bitch) :welcome:

I never had anything inappropriate said i just think after a day i needed a padded room to explode in :rofl:

We dont get paid here

Edited by showdog

Agree with the toy people being the worst.

I love stewarding in Darwin, we only have the occasional headache and most people know when to expect them.

My favourite from a Steward is when the Whippet's go in, someone will say Whippet #xx Baby Puppy Class, and another steward mutters Whip it good...

Has stopped over recent years but always brought a smile to my face.

Some of the stewards known to me don't bother to call my breed name any more they just say "SNEEZERS"!!!!!! :cheer:

I agree about Toy ring exhibitors even though I AM one! :flame:

Nothing worse than waiting an eternity for the old dears to get one out of the trolley, put a lead on it, take it round the ring, go back to the trolley, take the lead off, place the dog back in the trolley, CLOSE THE TROLLEY!!, and then realise they have another dog to get out, SIGH, open the trolley..........you get the idea :vomit:

I haven't stewarded, but this maybe one stewards particular favourite:

me (newish exhibitor, waiting nervously ringside)

steward: Are you the Havanese minor dog?

me: yes

steward: well you just missed your call

me: (tears starting) oh oh oh I didn't hear anything

steward: too late - you have been called absent

me: (tears flowing) on no seriously? I cant believe I didnt hear you when I was standing right next to you. I was daydreaming (starts to push trolley away)

steward: Nah - only joking. In you go (raucous laughter from steward and another exhibitor who was in on the joke)

me: (lesson learned - NEVER vague out while waiting for my call !!!)

I agree that many toy folks need to get their act together...I remember one six day marathon I stewarded where we had what I called the "pug-dominium"....a stack of pug crates on a wheeled trolly that had no less than a dozen....in and out, switch and change....at one point I did catch them taking a dog back into the ring in another class that had been judged already and I tried to point that out to the handler, who got VERY snappy and said "I know who I"m showing!!" Ok then.....til the time came to judge bitches and she stomped in with a dog on the lead....oops!

All in all, a dozen pugs pushed through in a reasonable time....no drama really....but then I remember the little old darling with three Jap Chins and I swear she took about 15 minutes to sort them all out as they were in separate classes....that was painful to watch as she tried to change leads, numbers and be in the correct spot for the judge.

I remember one other time when an exhibitor who lost, stomped out of the ring snarling at me saying...."you can just tell that judge I think he's an absolute moron who's blind as well as stupid for not awarding THIS dog!" To which I calmly replied....you have just done that yourself sir....he's standing behind you.

:laugh:

Oh Gail that so mean!! Being a new exhibitor who is up there early I am paranoid I'll miss my call :laugh: I'd be the same!

being new I have had some craker judges with a sense of humour inc my first who made it such a fun experience and a steward who in sweepies used my dogs enthusiasm for judges to poke fun at the judge about him needing a bath anyway :laugh: thankfully the judge was laughing as my dog was kissing him :laugh:

Edited by angelsophie

:) I wasn't the steward, but was standing next to him as group was being called, when an exhibitor also standing next to us loudly proclaims to the steward (and presumably for the judge to overhear)

"HE ONLY NEEDS TO TAKE THE GROUP FOR HIS GRAND" :)

fifi

We get a steward in SA that calls out (WHile the Staffordshire terriers are in) can we have the foxies to the ring. Obviously any foxies entered would have already been in by now. But he always waits till we are in the assembly area then yells it out anyway (With a voice that doesn't need a megaphone). The bastard knows I hate my dogs being called foxies so thats why he does it.