Good Recepies

Ive had problems with Isabella skin for about 18months. Shes a red standard poodle. She would just be a bit itchy now and then. nothing major but it got worse recently... over the last 6 months its bothering her now. before I would use oatmeal shampoo and that was enough, ive gone onto malaseb now and its not helping.. its a non localised itch but she chewing herself in a couple of spots now... ive changed everything accept her food so now its the foods turn... I am looking for some good websites with good recepies.. shes a fussy mole and only eats meaty food but I cant feed her barf ( as much as I would like to. she wont eat raw veg, doesnt really like chewing bones *rolls eyes* and gets the runs from higher levels of red meat) And none of this is because of me. Im a strict owner and my goldie is great on barf, kibble, raw veg, salad even just a really receptive dog to food. Isabella will eat kibble fine but I think its the preservatives in it... Just need some good recepies.

Thanks in advance!

You need to try an "elimination diet" - there is heaps of info on here about it. It doesn't need to be raw - when I first did this with one of my standards many years ago I used Eukanuba fish and potatoe kibble (grains and red meat are common allegens and most kibbles contain grains).

she was raised on proplan then I put her on royal canin and she lost weight badly on that and I had a dog staying with me that ate optimum tinned and my girl would nick it while the other ate her food and she gain condition. It has been since the optimum that the skins got real bad. not only is it the first time she been on supermarket food but its also tinned so i know it probably that. its the only thing that co-encideds with it. She didnt get any skin complaints till she went off proplan pupy and onto royal canin adult and its gone down hill since then.

I know that the optimum isnt good but its the only thing shes been able to put weight on and keep on for more than 2 days...

I took her off it because she got too old.. have a hang up on feeding adult dogs puppy food after a certain age.. Ive had clients dogs with kidny problems from being fed puppy food too long... Ill try the salmon and see... it cant help.. Im just at a loss... thought if I cooked it all at home it might be best but I dont know... mgiht ahve to finish reading through all the threads on here..

:S

I order it from Pookinuk GrG. $5 delivery charge and usually gets delivered within 12 hours. I see to place my orders sometime in the evening and its often here by 9am the next day. I noticed if you send a stamped envelope to Artemis you can get a sample.

http://www.artemispetfood.com.au/Royal.htm

My two are on Artemis when I haven't had a chance to stock up on Raw. Even fussy Kenzie will eat it.

ETA. If you can't arrange a sample and want to try some to see if she will eat it I can drop in a cup or so sometime.

Edited by ness

I have a boy inclined to the itchies. Malaseb he is also allergic to, made his rash worse :) He is allergic to oats and beef, so I make sure that any kibble I buy does not have unspecified grain, or specifiec oats in it' I also make sure that no food he eats has beef or beef by-products in it.

Don't know if this diet will help but it has mostly cleared up Penny's (Westie) skin...I had found through a bit of trial & error that she was sensitive to beef, roo, lamb,and mutton meat.

I put in the food processor...cabbage, 1/2 cooked carrot, apples (no pips though), bananas, comfrey (perhaps just one leaf though), parsley, apple cider vinegar (unpasteurized) a couple of garlic cloves, pumpkin, cold-pressed flax seed oil, cold pressed olive oil, kelp powder, handful of herbs from the gardsen, bean sprouts, couple of eggs including shells, couple of mandarins, sweet potato...whatever you have realy (no onions though).

This makes a really interesting looking slop-mixture!

I put it in little containers and freeze until needed then mix it about 1/2 volume with turkey mince (only Woollies seem to have it..$4.99 for 500g, sometimes on special for $3.99) and sprinkle a little ground linseed on the top.

She has a chicken wing with the fat cut off for afters.

As she is old I feed her twice a day, I expected her to lose weight with this diet but she hasn't.

She still get a few little non-itchy scabby bits on her skin, I asked my doctor about it and he wrote a script for Kenacomb, I put a tiny dab of that on and it clears it up quickly.

I also put Aquadent in her water, that had seemed to clear up her chronic gum problems which couldn't have been helping her digestion.

Hope this helps :)

Don't know if this diet will help but it has mostly cleared up Penny's (Westie) skin...I had found through a bit of trial & error that she was sensitive to beef, roo, lamb,and mutton meat.

I put in the food processor...cabbage, 1/2 cooked carrot, apples (no pips though), bananas, comfrey (perhaps just one leaf though), parsley, apple cider vinegar (unpasteurized) a couple of garlic cloves, pumpkin, cold-pressed flax seed oil, cold pressed olive oil, kelp powder, handful of herbs from the gardsen, bean sprouts, couple of eggs including shells, couple of mandarins, sweet potato...whatever you have realy (no onions though).

I put it in little containers and freeze until needed then mix it about 1/2 volume with turkey mince (only Woollies seem to have it..$4.99 for 500g, sometimes on special for $3.99) and sprinkle a little ground linseed on the top.

As she is old I feed her twice a day, I expected her to lose weight with this diet but she hasn't.

She still get a few little non-itchy scabby bits on her skin, I asked my doctor about it and he wrote a script for Kenacomb, I put a tiny dab of that on and it clears it up quickly.

I also put Aquadent in her water, that had seemed to clear up her chronic gum problems which couldn't have been helping her digestion.

Hope this helps :)

woops....gardsen = garden

• 2 weeks later...

welll...... since my first post Ive been boiling rice, veg and chicken mince. Then apon serving mixing in an egg shell and all or sardines.... And shes already not itching.. I sent off for a sample of the artimus maximal dog and my non food oriented poodle scoffed it down. She has never been a fan of kibble and will turn her nose up at any kibble even new stuff... she was nibbling the botom of the enpty packet and wen I gave her the normal boiled up stuff she walked off and went over to the little sample bag or artimus I had left... Im going to get in contact about seeing if they would like a rep in adelaide in the future. Need to keep a couple of kilos and see how she goes on it... I cant believe how fast her itching has reduced considering its only second week... might get some of the normal artimus for my goldie too since it so nice.. cant wait to see.

welll...... since my first post Ive been boiling rice, veg and chicken mince. Then apon serving mixing in an egg shell and all or sardines.... And shes already not itching.. I sent off for a sample of the artimus maximal dog and my non food oriented poodle scoffed it down. She has never been a fan of kibble and will turn her nose up at any kibble even new stuff... she was nibbling the botom of the enpty packet and wen I gave her the normal boiled up stuff she walked off and went over to the little sample bag or artimus I had left... Im going to get in contact about seeing if they would like a rep in adelaide in the future. Need to keep a couple of kilos and see how she goes on it... I cant believe how fast her itching has reduced considering its only second week... might get some of the normal artimus for my goldie too since it so nice.. cant wait to see.

I think you would have a few customers if you were stocking it locally. :o

Boronia thanks tons for your post and for this thread Goldies... as you know Sarah is very allergic and has very stained paws to prove it - I think its in the back yeard /grass - but she too has recently become much worse - much more than usual - antihistamines help but don't solve the problem. I've tried everything I can think of and many DOLer suggestions to help her - including a strict elimination diet - things appear to 'help a bit' but not solve the problem in the longer term. So now I'm planning to subdivide, rebuild and riping out all the grass :laugh: :laugh: ;) - but thats another 12 months away.

Boronia I'm going to try your 'slop' with some turkey mince (which I don't think she has ever had).

Goldies you could also try Jo's Fido's Formula from Fido's Funhouse over on Payneham Road - and ask her to make you a batch without the rolled oats (I'd buy it too!). If you'd like some to try let me know and I'll get you some next time I'm at Jo's (easy for me to fly past on my way home - probably harder for you to get over that way).

If you stock Artemis I'd also be interested in trying some. I'm getting to the stage where I'll just try anything. I feel for you as I know how distressing it is to watch them lick and scratch incessantly...

Hope this helps :laugh: