Geriatric Seizures

Kelpie-i

I've heard about them, seen them on TV docco's but never actually experienced one of my own having one.

I was woken at just after 2am this morning hearing a strange noise coming from the lounge where my 4 dogs sleep. I could hear the dogs moving around but also a sound like one of them was in some sort of pain. In my half sleep stupor I reached the lounge to see 3 of my dogs standing around Buddy (16yo GSD) whilst he was convulsing.

I was the most horrific thing I have ever seen. It probably only last for a minute but it seemed an eternity. During his seizure, my OH was on the phone with the emergency vet and was told it could be a one-off incident an to watch him over the next few days.

I spoke with my regular vet this morning who told me the same thing but I am not comfortable just waiting to see IF another seizure occurs. :dummy:

At the moment he seems okay and resting on his bed but is occassionally letting out a moaning/groaning sound. I've cancelled my appointments for the day as I don't want to leave him alone.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

He had another turn this afternoon, albeit much smaller than the first one.

Vet coming out tomorrow to take some blood and run another test. We did a full blood work up last year and all was fine.

He hasn't moved off his bed all day, should I be trying to get him up for a stretch etc?

I am feeling a little confused/anxious at the moment....hasn't been a good day overall

my thoughts r with u ,one feels so useles, but there is little one can do,(except insure there is nothiing near him when he is having a turn) that he caninjure himself on ,stay close by & just reasure him its ok ,dont get to close as sometimes in thier stupor they dont know wha they r doing ,

make sure u record each episode ,time of day /lenth of seizure ect .& try as hard as it is to stay calm yr self .hugs 4 u & the old boy.

You wil find he will be very sleepy after a turn ,it really takes the wind out of thier sails.

He hasn't moved off his bed all day, should I be trying to get him up for a stretch etc?

I am feeling a little confused/anxious at the moment....hasn't been a good day overall

:laugh: for you and Buddy

i think you should just let him be at the moment... the poor fella must be tired from those seizures. hopefully, he will move when he is ready.

my thoughts are with you guys.

At 16 yrs he's a grand old man, a testament to good love and care. I think I'd only disturb him if you feel he needs to relieve himself (if he didn't during the fit) he may be a bit sore and stiff after the convulsions too. It's awful watching a dog fit, you feel so utterly helpless. Hugs to you and Buddy. :laugh:

Hugs to you and Buddy :laugh: I had a cat once who had seizures and it was pretty scary, even though they only lasted a short time. It ended up being a neurological problem. Wow, 16 years is a great age for a gsd, my first much loved girl lived to 13.5 and I thought that was old. Hopefully blood tests will shed some light on why its happening.

:laugh: So sorry to read this, Kelpie-i. What a huge hole Buddy will leave in your life after all those years, but as someone else said, what a testament that long life was to your love and care for him. As the days go on, the sad and frightening memories of today will dim, and be replaced by the great memories you must have of what you and he did together.

Let your other dogs comfort you, and you comfort them.

So sorry to hear of your loss Keplie-i. :eek:

RIP Buddy

:laugh: :laugh:

ETA Im glad you took the day off today and could be there with him. Im sure that Buddy appreciated you being with him

Edited by laeral

Hugs to you and your family at this sad time. Its a testiment to your love and care that Buddy reached to ripe old age of 16yrs.

I second that, what a wonderful age he lived to. I hope you have lots of happy memories of Buddy :(