Poor Bianca Has A Sore Bum

greytdog

Noticed a swelling next to Bianca's anus, with a small ulcer/sore on it. Panicked (of course) and rang the vet, who luckily was still there and would wait (thanks Chris - man of infinite patience and rolling eyes).

Anyway, the diagnosis is (hopefully) abcessed anal gland. So antibiotics and anti inflammatories, and a follow up visit in 10 days. I don't want to think what else it could be if it doesn't respond. :o

Not sure where this has come from. She gets chicken frames every day, and raw meat and kibble. I wouldn't say her poos are firm, but she doesn't have runny very often, mostly just soft (probably since starting her on fish oil capsules). She used to be a bit constipated at times, but now I'm not sure if the soft is a better option.

ETA: She was weighed at 34.2kg, down from her last weighing at 35.5. So to everyone commenting on her weight (you know who you are!) :hug: :hug:

(just kidding)

Edited by greytdog

Bum sores always sound nasty. Hope Bianca recovers in no time. My SIL's schnauzer has very engorged anal glands and I used to help the dog squeeze his glands when I was available. They bring their dog to the vet/groomer every few months. The dog is fed the exact same diet as his half-bro and the half-bro has no such problems at all. Some dogs are just more prone to engorgement...are you confident to squeeze the glands every few months?

I've had one dog that needed his glands doing every couple of months although he was on a very good diet inc vegetables. Some are really prone to problems.

Then I've taken a private surrender who had an infected bottom and it took a couple of months of antibiotics and a good diet and it came good! However, I did still need to take her to the vet for a monthly squeeze for the 2 years I had her. Dear little Bebe, I would have gone to the ends of the earth to make her comfortable.

My dog had an infected anal sack a few months ago. I to panicked and rushed him straight to the vet and he was operated on immediately. It was caused by him getting a prickle stuck there so not always caused by diet. The vet put a drain in and has healed really well. I would have much preferred to go the antibiotic way (would have been much cheaper) but that wasn't how it went.

So...how does one go about squeezing anal glands??? :thumbsup:

It is very easy & certainly doesnt need a trip to the vet/groomer.

Yes it sticks but for a few short seconds.

We do all our dogs when bathed .

If the dog isnt use to it then i would suggest someone holding the head ,Liftthe tail up & you will see the to pods(as we call them)use a tissue,paper towel & gently squeeze.

generally speaking dogs empty there own through toileting or licking :thumbsup: but some dont & need help.

We had one dog who got an infected sac but it was result of a foreigh object & hers exploded herself without warning,big hole lots of yuck stuff given meds & no issues ever again.

Many vets seem to rush in to quickly for surgery but we find thats more due to owners not wanting to do it themselves

We had one dog who got an infected sac but it was result of a foreigh object & hers exploded herself without warning,big hole lots of yuck stuff given meds & no issues ever again.

I've experienced this too.. Zoe had an infected anal gland that we didn't know about until it had burst. Was pretty :banghead: and she had a nice big hole there but it healed up nicely and she's never had a problem since.

I have become an expert at squeezing the damn things because Pepper seems to keep getting them blocked. I have no idea why - I've never had a dog with this problem before and she also gets bones etc so it shouldn't be a problem.

There is a nack to it and you do need to be careful and not squeeze too hard or in the wrong place. Also don't position yourself in the "firing line" LOL You will regret it!

There are lots of videos online showing how to do it if you run a google search. I use disposable gloves and put her on a towel and wipe with tissue.

She seems to be getting better, the swelling is going down and it no longer leaks. Dr Chris will see her Tues week and see if it has dissapated by then. If not, it may end up needing surgery, but we hope not.

She's never had a problem before, and I never see any swelling there (I'm not exactly sure where they are, so I'll google that, but I have a fair idea), so I'm hoping this is a one off. It came up quite fast, and burst the night she went to Dr Chris. Ick - just as well I had plenty of incontinence pads for the bed and her bed.

AnnieK, how did you manage to inflate her weight when you quoted me? Don't think I didn't notice! :eek:

Edited by greytdog

There is a nack to it and you do need to be careful and not squeeze too hard or in the wrong place. Also don't position yourself in the "firing line" LOL You will regret it!

There are two rules when dealing with pus (or other goober filled) pockets.

1. Keep your mouth shut.

2. Don't look closely at things while you squeeze / prod / poke or you'll get it on your face.

3. See rules 1 & 2. :offtopic:

AnnieK, how did you manage to inflate her weight when you quoted me? Don't think I didn't notice! :rofl:

who me :eek:

glad to hear that "things" are looking better

Yes you. :mad

Go and have a look.

ETA: My post:

She was weighed at 34.2kg, down from her last weighing at 35.5.

Your post (supposedly copied from mine):

She was weighed at 36.2kg, down from her last weighing at 38.5.
Edited by greytdog