Clippers

Rozzie

I prefer Wahl or Oster, For really nasty clip offs a #10blade, for others possibly #5.

Remembering that with really matted coats you need to go under the mess, the #10 gives you a smoother ride. Longer blades will jam in the coat and try and feed the matts through the teeth, and they wont manage it.

I use Wahl and they do the job well, but the blades get hot :champagne: So I have a couple of spare blades and just swap them when they do. I also use a No 10 blade. I bought them online at vetproductsdirect.com as they were the cheapest at the time but I do see the Oster brand on ebay from time to time!

I have an old Oster pair and was happy with them but they stopped making the blades for them.

I have Osters and love them :champagne: TO start I would have 2 blades...you get a #10 when you buy the clippers, so will only need to buy one blade.

But a #10 is quite short - great for rescues, but not for your own. The lower the number the longer the hair ie. #7 is moderately short, #5 is a bit longer and so on.

I have a Wahl 1 speed and it does a good job, has done a standard poodle a few times too. What ever clippers you get you will need to find someone who can sharpen them properly. I had one place sharpen my clippers and I couldn't even do 1 full trim of the poodle with them. I then tried a different place (someone Horseland uses) and the difference was incredible.

By the way the prices through Petnetwork who advertise on this site seem reasonable, I have used them before and their service is great.

Guest Heidi-Ho

Me, I prefer the Oster clippers,have had them for years and no probs.

If the dog has tight matting,you will need to use a 10# or 15# blade to get under the mat for a smooth clip.

If the dog has loose matting,you could always try a 5# or a 7#

Try using Wahl KM-1 they work great don't heat up the blades as fast as some of the others and don't get hot in your hands like the Osters.

Stick with Oster blades they are the best.

You would be best to buy 2 10# blades, 1 5# blade and 1 7f blade and then go from there.

Ok, I've done the research ( :eek: :D ), and the Wahl KMSS seem to be the go (these are the replacement for the KM-1). I don't want to have to stuff around greasing the internal mechanisms as one has to do regularly with Osters, and the Oster blades (which are, apparently, better) fit the Wahl clippers. Sounds like a better solution all round.

The best price I have come up with is $240 (with blade). Has anyone found a better price?

Peter D

I have both Wahl KM-1 and Andis two speed.

I think the Andis clippers are far superior. Its a sealed unit so cheaper to run longer term and the hand fit is more comfortable. The blades seem to stay cooler too.

Provided you buy Wahl, Andis or Oster, the blades are interchangeable. You usually get a 50# blade with whatever you buy but that's essentially useless unless you need to clip a dog for surgery. :thumbsup:

What breed are you looking to groom Rozzie?

Edited by poodlefan

OK Rozzie, if a dog is REALLY matted then I'd recommend a 10# blade or higher.

However for little fluffies and particularly white ones, its best to avoid taking them tooo short because they can can sunburned. I'd suggest about a 4# blade which is also useful for grooming muzzles if you want to keep a slightly scruffy look. :thumbsup: