Aussie Shepherds And Border Collies

Kirislin

I'd love to see some comparison pics Bonnie Parker, can you post side by sides of both breeds?

I dont feel so silly for asking now, seeing as I am not the only one to be confused. Phew!

Edited by Kirislin

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

we have a merle border collie and she often gets mistaken for both an aussie shepherd or a koolie ;)

here is a couple of pics just so i can show my gorgeous girl off :)

the one with 2 dogs is sally meeting another merle border collie at the dogs big day out

post-30693-1265005618_thumb.jpg

post-30693-1265005631_thumb.jpg

post-30693-1265005645_thumb.jpg

I think they are much harder to tell apart since docking was ruled out, I am suprised at how many people have never seen a full tailed Aussie or merle border!! In the agility ring merles are everywhere! I've only seen one red Merle though, I think blue merle borders are the flavour of the month in agility atm. Also since they stopped docking all the Aussies that have joined our agility club have full tails (2 so far), allthough they can be natural bobs so if you see one with a bob or short tail it's likely to he an aussie.

I think the only way to tell them apart is that Aussies are generally stockier and more square as mentioned by others previously. With all the working lines etc. it is becoming more difficult with kelpies and koolies now. I saw a new Zealand border that looked like a stocky, hairy greyhound the other day but he came from pure working border lines. Who knows, sometimes it's best to just ask, especially with all the border colours coming out of the woodworks now, I saw a blue Merle with tan points the other day that I mistook for an Aussie.

My 2 cents :)

Even I think My pup looks too BC like :)

Bad, bad breeding :)

I remember that Haven!

http://www.kayladene.com/gallery_new.htm - here ya go - top right photo - the BM with the copper is an Aussie.... There are heaps more pics but they are on Facebook :D.

ETA - it's also an aussie bobbing near the blue kyak trying to get on ;)

All other pics are of Coloured BCs :D.

To me it's so obvious... I've only been confused by the 'odd' one ;)

ETA - gimme a few days and I'll be able to take side by side pics of your 'typical' BC and your 'typical' Aussie. I'm house-sitting again and get to look after my favourite 2 BCs :p

Edited by leopuppy04

Young male Red Merle Australian Shepherd with Fulltail.

A17-1.jpg

CHocolate Merle Border Collie.

Bolee.jpg

Adult Bitch Blue Merle Australian SHepherd with a full tail.

millieandbliss.jpg

Adult male Blue Merle Australian Shepherd with a Natural Bob Tail.

NgallaBillyTheKid.jpg

Adult male Blue Merle Australian Shepherd with a Full Tail.

P8020030.jpg

Blue Merle Border Collie

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...rder_Collie.jpg

Blue_merle_Border_Collie.jpg

Red Tri Australian SHepherd Dog with Natural Bob Tail.

Nate.jpg

Red Tri Australian Shepherd Bitch with Natural Bob Tail.

LeeswayChocolateSundae.jpg

Red Border Collie Bitch.

Dally%20style%20picture%201.jpg

Edited by Bonnie Parker

Being a Aussie Owner and no longer a bc owner, i wasnt sure if those border collies were typical so feel free to quote the aussie photos and post them with your own border collies pics etc. :)

Edited by Bonnie Parker

Is it my imagination or do the Aussies have rounder, tighter cat-like feet wheras the BCs seem to have smaller, more oval shaped feet?

I dont think it's your imagination.. I just scrolled up and looked at those photos, then had a look at millie and cooper's feet in real life (the black tri bitch and the red merle dog in pics).

Is it my imagination or do the Aussies have rounder, tighter cat-like feet wheras the BCs seem to have smaller, more oval shaped feet?

Yeah, I can see that too in the pics provided, the borders shown look like they have more of a hare foot.

Edited by Kirislin