Aussie Shepherds And Border Collies

Kirislin

This might sound stupid to those who know the difference but I have to confess, I dont think I can tell the difference between them. I've seen photos of black and white Aussie shepherds that just look like Border collies to me. Can someone please explain the difference?

Oh! and then there's the German Koolie! A lady at the park has a black one that I would've said was a kelpie but she said it's a Koolie, again, I cannot tell the difference, it's a pure black prick eared working dog.

Edited by Kirislin

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ohh I have heard of Merle borders but never seen one!

Julesp has a sable one as well!!!!!!

I think the Tri Aussies (black and white with reddy bits) are the ones that can look a bit like BCs but they always have reddy bits! That’s how I recognise them!

Hehehe I should probably stop now at the risk of offending owners of both breeds! :)

Have a look at Vickie's photos of her dogs in the photo section, she has some Blue Merle Borders.

Usually I can tell if it's an Aussie because they usually have no tail :) And their bums are fluffier ;)

Many Aussies will not have a tail ;) although some do.

If you see an Aussie & a BC side by side there are quite obvious conformation differences IMO. The Aussie is a more solid, squarer dog. They also have different shaped heads and earsets.

BTW you can get tri coloured BCs :) As well as black & white Aussies with no rust/tan.

Again with Koolies & Kelpies, if you saw them side by side the differences would, IMO, be fairly obvious.

:) amypie I was going to say the same - tail is the first thing I look for. Aussie's tend to on the whole be a stockier and taller then a BC but there are exceptions. Edited by ness

Yep, Aussies come in Bi-colours as well as tricolours and merles. I have a blue merle Aussie with copper points and white where a border collies does. There is a red merle border collie at my park that looks just like a tailed Aussie too.

Oh, and Aussies can have tails, anywhere from full length to just a little stub. It gets a bit confusing! Generally an Aussie is a little taller and heavier set than a BC

Have a look at Vickie's photos of her dogs in the photo section, she has some Blue Merle Borders.

Usually I can tell if it's an Aussie because they usually have no tail :) And their bums are fluffier :)

Aussies can have tails though ;)

I can tell them apart because of their different characteristics in the way they look and particularly the way they move. Aussies are more 'stocky' with different heads.

Who knows with the Koolie though!

Usually I can tell if it's an Aussie because they usually have no tail :) And their bums are fluffier :D

Aussies can have tails though :)

Yep I know, I worded that badly, I meant they seem to be NBT more often that being full tailed. ;)

In fact I don't recall ever seeing a full tailed one.

(I probably thought it was a BC :D )

I don't find it easy! There's a cool lady at the dog park I go to with a Tri BC that I was certain was an Aussie cause he's a pretty solid boy for a BC - but apparently he is a BC so there you go!

A freind of mine has just had a litter that includes some blue merle Border Collies - Wonelook Border Collies - absolutely stunning pups, can't wait to see them grow. And Staffylover from these fourms has a sable BC - she's a darling!

I've found there's variation enough between border collies, from the short haired ones to the working lines to the show lines which seem to have a more domed head, well to my eye, dont shoot me if it's wrong, and the kelpies too, there's huge variation, some are real chunky stocky things and some look like they're half whippet. It gets mighty confusing after a while. I think in future I will have to ask what breed is that, and not assume.

I don't find it easy! There's a cool lady at the dog park I go to with a Tri BC that I was certain was an Aussie cause he's a pretty solid boy for a BC - but apparently he is a BC so there you go!

A freind of mine has just had a litter that includes some blue merle Border Collies - Wonelook Border Collies - absolutely stunning pups, can't wait to see them grow. And Staffylover from these fourms has a sable BC - she's a darling!

Oh good, I am glad I am not the only one. :)

Even I have once or twice been confused between the two and I OWN Aussies :)

The aussies are an all round stockier breed - they are squarer and.... stockier! LOL!

Their heads tend to be stronger, with a different ear set (not as high set as a border... on the general scale)

Bum hair is fluffier with Aussies

Coat is different - shorter and thicker in the Aussies.

And their personalities are COMPLETELY different! An Aussie is a clown. I am yet to see a BC act as clownish or in the same clownish way as an Aussie ;)

Usually I can tell if it's an Aussie because they usually have no tail :) And their bums are fluffier :D

Aussies can have tails though :)

Yep I know, I worded that badly, I meant they seem to be NBT more often that being full tailed. ;)

In fact I don't recall ever seeing a full tailed one.

(I probably thought it was a BC :D )

LOL -have a look on my webpage.... there is a tailed one on there ;). She gets called a BC SO many times!

I have Australian SHepherds.. I have three. Two are the black tri colour (Black, white neck and legs and copper highlights) and a red merle.

I used to have border collies before the aussies.

Most notice the Natural Bob tail on the aussies, but I do have two tailed aussies here. I can post pictures if people like.

Border collies seem to be smaller then the aussies. in width, bone and height..

My aussie girl is 19inches at the shoulder and my boys are 20 (still growing) and 22.

The aussies have fluffy bums, fluffy legs and boys have big chests.

Border collies come in i think seven colours; which include all four accepted colours of the aussies. :)

Aussies are black, Blue Merle, Red Merle and Red Solid. All can have the white and the copper or just one, or none. :)

Ask away if you want to know more. ;)