Please Buckle Up Your Best Friend

Baby Dragon

Cargo barriers in station wagons are excellent for the most part, but again, in the event that a dog is thrown forward when we brake suddenly, I have reservations.

I fortunately don't have to transport large and giant breeds, but if I did I would opt for a dog trailer to take dogs to shows etc, rather than have the dog in the car on the car seat.

The dogs travel really well in the trailers and most dogs love them.

btw, the shopkeeper who sold me the harness was astounded when I showed him the two sections of dissected webbing.

It was top quality webbing and he had no suggestions, other than to use a crate in future.

Souff

Just a quick add on.....

please, please, please......buckle, tether or secure your dog in the car by what ever means. I work at an emergency vet hospital & yesterday a 6mth old border collie pup came in after it had jumped out the car window it was travelling in & was hit by the car behind. It had to be put to sleep. :o

Just a quick add on.....

please, please, please......buckle, tether or secure your dog in the car by what ever means. I work at an emergency vet hospital & yesterday a 6mth old border collie pup came in after it had jumped out the car window it was travelling in & was hit by the car behind. It had to be put to sleep. :D

Too sad for all concerned. A hard lesson learned, but learned too late.

A young pup's shoulder was mangled when slammed forward inside a car. Another had serious neck and spinal injuries and later had to be put down. Impact injuries are real and a harness is not the total answer.

When you need to hit the anchors hard, if your dog is in a crate that is secured by a seat belt it is reassuring to know that a crate will minimise the impact damage to your dog's body, better than a harness.

When your car is travelling at 80kph, and you brake suddenly, your dog's body is still travelling forward, until slammed to a sudden stop by a harness, or a hard object (if loose). Sure, a harness will hold your dog in place .... but ask your vet about the sort of damage that can be done to a young dog's skeleton when the pressure of the harness hits, in the event of an accident.

Automobile Safety for Dogs

The safest way for a dog to travel is in a secure crate. If you are involved in an accident, your pup is much safer in a crate than loose or even in a safety harness. The crate, especially a plastic airline crate, will protect your dog from injuries on impact and keep the dog secure in the aftermath. More than one dog has survived a car accident and then been killed on the road when he slips out an open car door. If you are injured in an accident, emergency personnel won't have to worry about getting past your dog to help you if he's crated.

Never let your dog ride in the front seat of a vehicle with air bags. Dogs, like small children, can be killed or injured by deploying air bags.

A doggy seatbelt—a harness arrangement that fastens to the car's seatbelt—is a reasonably good alternative to a crate, although it won't provide as much protection.

http://life.familyeducation.com/dogs/travel/45672.html

Souff

Souff I've heard of crates that have been strapped into the back seat, breaking in the event of an accident. Are there certain crates that are made for car travel and are strong enough so they won't do that?

The plastic crates might be great for holding pets, but I imagine wouldn't be strong enough?

Edited by Baby Dragon

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know anything about these. Would anyone who has one like to post more info and a review?

CHAMPION Canine Seat Belt System

I've just ordered one for Pele. I'll let you know what I think when I get it :) I like it because there are no plastic clips bearing weight, padding on the front and wider straps.

I'm really interested in these belts but am a little worried about ordering after seeing a post on a different forum about the poor customer service by the company that makes and sells them. Did you order from the USA k9 Outfitters directly or another online store? any info would be gratefully appreciated :)

I don't know anything about these. Would anyone who has one like to post more info and a review?

I've just ordered one for Pele. I'll let you know what I think when I get it :) I like it because there are no plastic clips bearing weight, padding on the front and wider straps.

I'm really interested in these belts but am a little worried about ordering after seeing a post on a different forum about the poor customer service by the company that makes and sells them. Did you order from the USA k9 Outfitters directly or another online store? any info would be gratefully appreciated :)

Hi I ordered one and I did have to chase them up with an email but then I received it in around 2 weeks. I ordered mine direct from them.

Hi I ordered one and I did have to chase them up with an email but then I received it in around 2 weeks. I ordered mine direct from them.

Thanks for the info; i feel more confident about ordering when the time comes. Are you happy with it? Any info regarding your experience of it wld be greatly appreciated. thanks. :)

There are actual crash tested ones available, I am thinking looing at these that these ones are not crash tested??

And also it may just be the picture, but the harness looks a little loose at the front of the chest on the handsome young Shepherd :D

No problem! I am really happy with it, it feels nice and solid(sturdy).

I took these pics for Bully (above) but my model wasn't behaving teehee :)

DSC_0170.JPG

DSC_0173.JPG

DSC_0174.JPG

DSC_0184.JPG

I can't thank you enough for your generosity in sharing your info, pics and experience :thumbsup::angel:

DSC_0189.JPG

Hope they may help your decision

Thanks for the info; i feel more confident about ordering when the time comes. Are you happy with it? Any info regarding your experience of it wld be greatly appreciated. thanks. :)

Mine should arrive any day now. It's been despatched :)

I love these - we are just doing a road test on them now I can see.

These look great, also very friendly and helpful. Alas I think it's too high for my medium sized girl (apx 22kg), but I think would be great for any dog that is smaller.

How did you go with the road test?