Anyone Want To Share The Secret?

-Megz-

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those Brisbaneites who want to learn and share how about a get together one afternoon?

I was taught by a master plaiter. I have had a look at that book "Round and Flat" and it does not really show you how to finish off leads other than by whip cording them or doing crown knots.

For leather:

How to choose your skin (for this it may have to be a weekday for a trip to Packers Tannery at Narangba)

Round to flat and back again

4, 6 8 plaits and more

Adding and subtracting strands and how to join strands

Turks Heads (if you are interested)

Belt Keepers

Plaiting a belt

Splicing in

plait around a core and without

Tension is important - show what loose tension and tight tension does to a lead over time

Somewhere on the Northside.

I have just quickly done a simple four strand round plait. I go from round to flat (for the handle) then back to the round

_DSC0031-web.jpg_DSC0032-web.jpg

_DSC0033-web.jpg_DSC0034-web.jpg

if you guys can't get the small book called plaits round and flats...

you can buy a big hard cover version at most saddleries... called bush leather work, by ron edwards... it has 12 of his books in it.

the secret plait one has instructions for fancy collars. and the lacing can be used on collars to decorate. when i bought the book it was only the same as buying a few of his books but the tricks in each book was much better value in the large one.

you might never use the bit about lining a stock saddle but there are technics in it... which are great and useful else where.

I only saw round leather thong on that site. I'll make my first attempt this weekend. I bought some "leatherette" to practice on then I'll buy the real stuff. I got a couple of gorgeous blue brindle babies here and I'd love to make a dark grey and silver leather thonged lead. I'll post pix of the results when I do them.

8cc1f6ad.jpg

I've just finished the lead for my Min Pin Clancy.

It's a satin cord, 2mm and 1mm in diamond braid, I used a chunky beads to add some touch to it.

It's at the moment about 2 metres, but I am just needing to work out how to do a nice handle.

I put Clancy on this lead to let him test it for me, and he absolutely loved it! He kept jumping around showing his excitement!

I hope to have it all done for the next show. I have also got a blue and red satin cord that I've purchased today along with this green one.

They'll be matching my shirts :coffee:! lol

Edited by Tambaqui

I don't want bling leads, at least at this stage, and it's impossible to get leads up here and I can't always get to shows down south. What I was wanting to know is how to make the leads so I can replace the leads I have as I need to.

Anyone want to share how?

Edited by Country

• 2 weeks later...

Had some time to myself yesterday afternoon so finally got around to attempting a full length lead. Used 3mm leather this time. I am much happier with the splicing at the handle (been practicing with some coloured material to get the idea) but not so happy with the tension. I think it is the uneven tension that caused the lead to twist as I went along. Would that be right?

4485364870_888eccf5b5.jpg

Plan on using it at a show today. Very exciting.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't want bling leads, at least at this stage, and it's impossible to get leads up here and I can't always get to shows down south. What I was wanting to know is how to make the leads so I can replace the leads I have as I need to.

Anyone want to share how?

I like megz live in NT and we don't have anything at all like that up here. We are severely disadvantaged when it comes to our show supplies. ;) I had a go at making my own lead and used it on the weekend at the show. I like alot of bling so I had to put some sparkly stuff on mine. :p I went to spotlight and purchased everything I needed even the cord for the lead and made it in no time. I am however after the paracord in several colours so if anyone does have a supplier in Australia, please would you like to share!! So far I have only found some on ebay from the UK which sells in smaller qauntities than 1000ft rolls :eek: I am now looking at bead shops online so I can try and source out some cheaper ones as spotlight is a little expensive and also a little limited to what you can buy :eek: The tricky part is working out how they actually get them to not slide up and down the lead :) I just used smaller hole beads to keep the feature beads in place and it seems to have worked but OMG my fingers were sore for days :) The paracord is much easier to manipulate open to thread the ends in and sew over them to make them nice and neat. I now want to experiment with other colours, and my only dilemma is do I much the colour of my outfit to the lead or do I match it to my dog :eek: Just a warning though, I do love to do crafty things and just by making one lead I am addicted and just want to make heaps and heaps :o I haven't plaited them like you very clever people tho!! So anybody out there that can recommend a good bead shop online and if they know a supplier of the paracord in Australia please share :eek: :eek: This is some photos of my first attempt. Sorry that the photos aren't great it is quite difficult to get a good photo

post-33898-1272255513_thumb.jpg

post-33898-1272255560_thumb.jpg

My hardware (rings and clips) come from either Birdsall Leather in Sydney or Lefflers in Melbourne (via mail order).

I do beading occasionally too and there are some really good online bead stores if you Google. Ebay is another source for beads too.

• 4 months later...

Found this old thread and am looking for some help please :laugh: . l am making a lead for our baby puppy for the weekend, l have ordered one but the lady must have more important things on as she has not supplied payment details and l have been requesting them for a few days she knew l needed it for this weekend.

Anyways l have the paracord, beads are in place ends sealed but for the life of me l cant insert the end into the paracord to stitch it. It's probably a simple method but l just can't see it :rofl: . Anyone want to let me in on the secret ? Or even PM me. l am really stuck for a lead now and hate to turn up and have to borrow one from someone :o .

Found this old thread and am looking for some help please :vomit: . l am making a lead for our baby puppy for the weekend, l have ordered one but the lady must have more important things on as she has not supplied payment details and l have been requesting them for a few days she knew l needed it for this weekend.

Anyways l have the paracord, beads are in place ends sealed but for the life of me l cant insert the end into the paracord to stitch it. It's probably a simple method but l just can't see it :laugh: . Anyone want to let me in on the secret ? Or even PM me. l am really stuck for a lead now and hate to turn up and have to borrow one from someone :D .

Thank you very much to the DOLer who PMed me with instructions l did get one made for him and it looks great. ;)

I have the parcord however for the life of me am unable to insert the ends and stitch them, I dont like to glue or use the crimps to keep them in place I would like to be able tos titch them and not have the ends fray :-(

Ive toyed with this abit too and my biggest issue was it fraying, would love to know how to do that bit properly!

Did we ever find out how the clever people stitch the paracord inside on the leads so no fraying occurs? I havent worked it out yet :-(

Get a wool darning needle then after threading the needle with the end of the cord, poke the needle back down into the middle of the paracord (Along its length) and pull through.(Keeping the end of the paracord inside the cord). You can then sew this down. Not sure if this is making sense, and I don't have any here to take photos to show you.