Vet In Adelaide

Norskgra

Faith is 6 weeks old and will be due for her first vaccination soon. I am after some recommendations for a good vet in Adealide. I rang up one that is supposed to be good. They give their vaccinations at 6, 8 and 10 weeks which seems a bit too close together to me.

Edited by Norskgra

Faith is 6 weeks old and will be due for her first vaccvination soon. I am after some recommendations for a good vet in Adealide. I rang up one that is supposed to be good. They give their vaccinations at 6, 8 and 10 weeks which seems a bit too close together to me.

I thoroughly recommend Colonel Light Gardens Vets - affordable but the staff are some of the best I have ever dealt with. Our favourite vets are Dr Bloch and Dr Wearing. If I recall they are relatively close to where you were planning to move.

Louie has been going there since he was 12 weeks old and I don't have a bad thing to say apart from sometimes they run a little late with consults, but on the other hand you always get a thorough consult!

I've started using Aberfoyle Hub Vet... So far so good. They've been very willing to do as I ask and have a conversation, rather than being told what to do.

I move through vets like nothing, though, 'cause I always finds something I am unimpressed with.

Each has their own ideas but I have never heard of vaccs only 2 weeks apart, its always 4 weeks.

It is your dog so it is your choice.

Mine are done with 1 vaccine after week 8 & another 4 weeks later, which must be over week 12.

eg wk 9 then wk 13 or wk 10 then wk 14.

Some variations on the opinion of the 6 week vaccine being of any use at all.

Go to a vet where they will do as you request, you probably already know how you want to vaccinate.

Noahs Crossing at Lewiston is my recommendation if you don't mind a drive.

Each has their own ideas but I have never heard of vaccs only 2 weeks apart, its always 4 weeks.

It is your dog so it is your choice.

Mine are done with 1 vaccine after week 8 & another 4 weeks later, which must be over week 12.

eg wk 9 then wk 13 or wk 10 then wk 14.

Some variations on the opinion of the 6 week vaccine being of any use at all.

Go to a vet where they will do as you request, you probably already know how you want to vaccinate.

Noahs Crossing at Lewiston is my recommendation if you don't mind a drive.

I had never heard of it before either. I want to do the one at approximately 8 weeks and another at 12 weeks or so.

Faith is 6 weeks old and will be due for her first vaccvination soon. I am after some recommendations for a good vet in Adealide. I rang up one that is supposed to be good. They give their vaccinations at 6, 8 and 10 weeks which seems a bit too close together to me.

I thoroughly recommend Colonel Light Gardens Vets - affordable but the staff are some of the best I have ever dealt with. Our favourite vets are Dr Bloch and Dr Wearing. If I recall they are relatively close to where you were planning to move.

Louie has been going there since he was 12 weeks old and I don't have a bad thing to say apart from sometimes they run a little late with consults, but on the other hand you always get a thorough consult!

I second colonel light. All the vets really know their stuff.

My favourite vet is Dr Bosboom :D

If you're at Forestville, visit Goodwood oval (without your puppy) on Fairfax street off East Tce? around 5:30 onwards - maybe later if it's hot, and ask the local dog owners where they go.

I use Colonel Light Gardens vets because they're close to me - I usually get Zoe and she's good. They have about 5 different vets in there so if one isn't sure they can ask another. Some of them are better at explaining and doing thorough exams than others. It will be up to you to ask questions - write a list before you go so you don't forget if you get frazzled.

I use for the annual vaccinations Glenside Veterinary Practice on Greenhill road - near Lestrange St. I know the head vet Pin Needham and he's president of the South Australian Obedience Dog Club - so he runs an excellent puppy pre-school at his pratice with class sizes limited, and is great at explaining everything - especially if you ask the right questions and if you are a regular there, you can use their kennels for boarding. I only use for emergency boarding or if Frosty needs boarding with vet treatment. They also have a hydrotherapy pool and treadmill.

The spread of vaccinations that your vet suggested doesn't seem wrong to me. But if you want a second opinion - I'd recommend Pin or Dr Stirling. Puppy school would be wed or thurs night depending on how many puppys are available. You can do puppy school before all the vaccinations are done.

http://www.glenside-vet.com.au/home/index.cfm

If you're at Forestville, visit Goodwood oval (without your puppy) on Fairfax street off East Tce? around 5:30 onwards - maybe later if it's hot, and ask the local dog owners where they go.

I use Colonel Light Gardens vets because they're close to me - I usually get Zoe and she's good. They have about 5 different vets in there so if one isn't sure they can ask another. Some of them are better at explaining and doing thorough exams than others. It will be up to you to ask questions - write a list before you go so you don't forget if you get frazzled.

I use for the annual vaccinations Glenside Veterinary Practice on Greenhill road - near Lestrange St. I know the head vet Pin Needham and he's president of the South Australian Obedience Dog Club - so he runs an excellent puppy pre-school at his pratice with class sizes limited, and is great at explaining everything - especially if you ask the right questions and if you are a regular there, you can use their kennels for boarding. I only use for emergency boarding or if Frosty needs boarding with vet treatment. They also have a hydrotherapy pool and treadmill.

The spread of vaccinations that your vet suggested doesn't seem wrong to me. But if you want a second opinion - I'd recommend Pin or Dr Stirling. Puppy school would be wed or thurs night depending on how many puppys are available. You can do puppy school before all the vaccinations are done.

http://www.glenside-vet.com.au/home/index.cfm

I bred my first litter of pups approximately 30 years ago and I am very fussy when it comes to vets. What most of the local dog owners would be happy with, I probably wouldn't.

This is the first time in all these years that I have ever heard of this vaccination regime. They are not my vets, they were just one that had been recommended by someone.

We have used these guys for about 10 years now. The vets name is Dr. Pat and he is fantastic.

McIntyre Road Veterinary Clinic

Personalised Veterinary Clinic

39 McIntyre Rd Para Hills SA 5096

ph: (08) 8281 6400

Edited by Buddy_N_Burt

I think most Adelaide vet clinics still seem to recommend the 3 puppy vaccinations and I am struggling to find something in my local area (similar area to you) that will recommend anything less than annual vaccinations. I take my two to the Hawthorn Vet Clinic on Belair Road and while they recommended 3 puppy vaccinations I only took my girl for 2. I find both the vets good for other things (they only have the two) and the vet nurses are friendly. They are always happy to have you drop in and weigh dogs and they remember the dogs names even if they are only in there infrequently.

When my two have had to have surgery (desexing) or even grass seeds removed they have been happy to accomodate requests of dropping the girls off as late as possible and picking them up as soon as I am able to.

If you need an appointment for something relatively urgent then they have no issue accomodating that. In comparison we started off with the Colonial Light Gardens vet clinic but when my older one had an eye infection they couldn't fit her in for 3 days whereas mum rang the Hawthorn Vet clinic and they said she should come down that day as you shouldn't mess around with eyes.

My two have gone a number of times to the Glenside Vet Clinic to use the hydro pool but still go to our normal vet clinic for appointments.

Ah ok - sorry misunderstood - my vet does 12 and 16 week ones (and whatever before obviously) but I am only a pet person so don't have to worry about the first vaccination.

Edited by ness

I don't know what the recommended spacing is.

I got my puppy from AWL and at 10 weeks she'd had two of her vaccinations and I just needed to organise the third, about a month later. I don't know how old she was when they got her. I know they had her at 8 weeks because that's how old she was when they desexed her. Yes I hear some of you faint with horror, but she seems ok to me.

Norskqra, if you've been breeding for 30 years, and you're asking for vet recommendations, may I ask what happened to your usual vet? If they're interstate - they may still be able to recommend someone here.

The Parade Norwood Veterinary Clinic. - Derek and Christine are fabulous as are their vet nurses without exception (and Simone and Diana in particular) - and their fees are fair and reasonable, they run a very client-centred clinic and don't over-service. Well worth considering if they are within cooee of you.

I bred my first litter of pups approximately 30 years ago and I am very fussy when it comes to vets. What most of the local dog owners would be happy with, I probably wouldn't.

This is the first time in all these years that I have ever heard of this vaccination regime. They are not my vets, they were just one that had been recommended by someone.

I'm not sure what my vet recommends as he just happily does what I ask for in the way of vaccs. In 16 years he has never pressured me in regards to what vaccs to give and in fact about 12 - 14 years ago, so well before the 3 year idea came about, I was worried about not being able to afford a vacc when it was due and his staff told me then not to fuss as I could probably get another year safely so a month or 2 would not matter.

He is also quite ssupportive of raw diets and seems more concerned about the appearance when discussing diet - as in he will say they look and feel great so don't change it.

He is a bit of a hike from where you are Norskgra but I am happy to share his details if you don;t mind a drive to Gawler. I also like the fact he listens and takes what I say on board and doesn't treat me like an idiot, and never has.