Camera Bags

PooMother

Now I have a few more camera items the bag I originally got with the camera doesnt fit everything in. I am wanting to have a bag that will fit a couple of lens, flash etc, what type of bag do you have and what do you recommend? Are some considerations padding, waterproof etc?

Thanks

Chris

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a Lowerpro Nature Trekker (pictured). It suits my needs as I wanted something comfortable to fit my gear and that I could hike with.

It has a padded waistband and a sternum strap to take the weight off your lower back. It's designed for people who like to get off the beaten track I think. It comfortably fits my gear - 30D, 300mm L, 10-20 and 17-70, plus teleconverter, filters plus binoculars and mini tripod if I take one. It also fits a bottle of water and a jacket, wallet and sunglasses. :) It has a wet weather cover in a pocket in the bottom so when it rains, you can cover the entire pack and protect it. I've used this before when I've been caught in the rain and it's kept everything dry. I've taken it overseas as my carry on luggage as I can also fit all that plus my toiletries and make up purse, it's that roomy. I love it, but it wasn't cheap.

post-485-1266108422_thumb.jpg

post-485-1266108427_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ripley

OMG bags. I have a closet filled with camera bags because I hate dragging something that is too big when I only need minimal gear and I hate having to shove stuff in if it's too small when I need more and I hate having a messenger style when I'm carrying a long distance and I hate having the clunky of a bag that can take a lappie when I don't need it and on and on an on!

There's no one perfect bag I've found - and it becomes a bit of an obsession.

You have to start by narrowing it down to how you are going to use it. Do you want a stylish bag, a backpack, a rollerbag, a messenger bag? Is this to also store your gear or do you just want to throw a day kit in and go? Do you need access on the go or can you put the bag down to access it?

Boda, ThinkTank, LowePro and Kata all make an excellent range of bags from the small to the very large. These are more "industrial" bags - they aren't frilly and girly. Usually they are black or a more subdued colour, very rugged and built to last. Great padding and have convertible bits in them so you can reconfigure the insides.

Crumpler make very cool bags - backpack and messenger style. I have the six million dollar home and love it. It's usually my on location portrait bag and I can fit a ton of stuff in there but it also works pretty well if I just want to take one body, an extra lens and a flash. With a light camera kit, I can fit my laptop in there. I adore the colour choices - I've got periwinkle with bright orange insides :)

For stylish bags you can check out Jill-E and Kelly Moore. Another option if you want stylish is find a big bag you like in the purse section of wherever you shop and then buy the laptop sleeve and insert it. You can get different sizes and you can get the little inserts, too, or make your own (they're easy to do even for me a total non-DIYer!). This is a great option as you can pull your inserts out of one bag and swap them straight into a different bag for a different look or size - and no one can tell it's filled with camera gear. Oh, and no one else will have one like it either.

For a more unbostrusive bag that can go from sleek black to pretty much any style with its changeable flaps check out the Shootsac. This is not a two body bag, it is a lens bag. It's great for when you want something low key, want multiple lenses with quick access and something that hugs your body.

Argh, so many choices!

I finally bought a decent camera bag a couple of weeks ago. :) I decided on a backpack because having a lot of weight bearing on one shoulder causes me pain and I wanted something that would fit all of my camera gear as well as have heaps of space for other stuff, like my purse, diary, bottle of water, light jacket etc... I got the Lowepro Versapack on sale for $135 and I love it! It's a lovely medium grey and polar blue colour and is so comfortable with really easy access to everything and in my opinion at least, doesn't scream "I'm a camera bag" to non camera users. You can change how much space you give to the camera gear vs your other stuff by adjusting the divider in the middle and it also has a weatherproof cover and tripod mount. Sooooo much easier for taking my camera into work or just generally out and about with me.

http://vidego.productvideocast.com/player.php?p=bo1ut89q

this is the one I'm buying in a couple of weeks time .... glad to read you like it ...... I have one of the Lowepro fastpacks (which has been fabulous) but I've got too many lense's now for everything to fit comfortably so I need to upsize .....

where did you get your's on sale Justice if you don't mind me asking?

I have a Crumpler 6 million dollar home and a 7 million dollar home. The 7 is for when I want to take more lenses.

We also have a Lowpro Flipside 400 AW which is really great for hiking/zoo.

And I have a Naneu Pro backpack for when I need my laptop as well.

Are there any camera bags that will hold 2x DSLR's, 70-200mm, 24-70mm, speedlite and room at the back for a 17" laptop? I'd prefer to put everything in one bag, rather than having to carry a laptop bag around and the camera bag.

I finally bought a decent camera bag a couple of weeks ago. :) I decided on a backpack because having a lot of weight bearing on one shoulder causes me pain and I wanted something that would fit all of my camera gear as well as have heaps of space for other stuff, like my purse, diary, bottle of water, light jacket etc... I got the Lowepro Versapack on sale for $135 and I love it! It's a lovely medium grey and polar blue colour and is so comfortable with really easy access to everything and in my opinion at least, doesn't scream "I'm a camera bag" to non camera users. You can change how much space you give to the camera gear vs your other stuff by adjusting the divider in the middle and it also has a weatherproof cover and tripod mount. Sooooo much easier for taking my camera into work or just generally out and about with me.

http://vidego.productvideocast.com/player.php?p=bo1ut89q

I like that :-) I am going to get 2 bags, 1 when its just me and a girly one and one for when OH has camera, no idea why he doesnt want a pink one!!!

Erin - I can get all that in my Fastpack by Lowepro. Lenses mounted on cameras and I put one in "backwards" and one in ready for fast access. Flash can be either in the main camera pocket or in the upper "extras" pocket with room to spare for lots of other stuff.

The Crumpler 7 MDH will probably take that, too, if you want a messenger bag style.

I can get my smaller laptop in my small Lowepro Flipside, I just put all the camera gear in and then put the laptop on top & zip her up. Works slick and the Flipsides are so nice and streamlined. I love mine.

Poomother - what's shipping look like on those...maybe I need to do some shopping and maybe if we got two we could split the shipping... ugh, must stop buying camera bags!

Erin - I can get all that in my Fastpack by Lowepro. Lenses mounted on cameras and I put one in "backwards" and one in ready for fast access. Flash can be either in the main camera pocket or in the upper "extras" pocket with room to spare for lots of other stuff.

The Crumpler 7 MDH will probably take that, too, if you want a messenger bag style.

I can get my smaller laptop in my small Lowepro Flipside, I just put all the camera gear in and then put the laptop on top & zip her up. Works slick and the Flipsides are so nice and streamlined. I love mine.

Poomother - what's shipping look like on those...maybe I need to do some shopping and maybe if we got two we could split the shipping... ugh, must stop buying camera bags!

The Karen Moore one was $46US for normal tracking and $150US express. It worked out at $240AUS after the conversion (including the discount and postage) I will go check. I think it is a fab bag!!!!!!