Staffordshire Bull Terrier Puppy

Budd

Hi all just a question about my 9 week old Staffordshire Bull Terrier pup.. I know that they talk alot, but is it normal for them to talk non stop? Every time he comes to me or my parents for a pat he doesnt stop talking and when he is play fighting with our other dog he talks the whole time.. He is extremely happy non stop wagging, so I think he is fine....

Wait for him to talk to you and encourage it with words like " Speak to me " "talk to me" and praise him when he does. Once he's really chatting away tell him he's a good boy and then ask him to " be quiet" or "stop", reward him for stopping.

They love nothing more than a chat and teaching them to speak on your terms is easy, if you have a natural talker.

Edited by SBT123

I love my stafford being chatty, so I encouraged it.

ditto. I've got one family that does that great woo woo woo when greeting people and another that likes to walk around with something in their gob going grrr grrr grrr. We were so happy when Diva trotted up to us about 4 weeks ago with a shoe in her mouth going grrr grrr grrr :laugh:

I'd never had a "real" talker until Koda came along. She never shuts up and has an opinion about anything, whether asked for or not! :D

Of her 9 children, 3 were talkers and why on EARTH I've kept two of them I'll never know! :D :o

And up until now, I'd prided myself on not having one who makes "monkey noises" like certain other dogs I used to hear at shows. Not only does Roger "talk" but he's a "monkey noise" maker extraordinaire!

I don't mind the talking, but the monkey noises get the spray bottle! :laugh:

I think the talking and being able to switch them on and off , heightens the bond between the owner and the dog. It's something that is a bit of fun and they take great delight in having a chat.

I love the talking but I won't tolerate squealing at me or barking for no reason. They are not allowed to call to me at shows and disrupt others either.

I've been known to have a chat with some that have been in the pound... you ask them "what's a sweetie like you doing here?"... and they will happily tell you their life story... unfortunately I wasn't in a position to spring any of those - but I'm pretty sure many of them did get rescue - happy and dog friendly little souls, not hard to rehome once in rescue...

We have one at our rescue that is a total grunter when getting cuddles... cracks us all up... *grin*

T.

I've been known to have a chat with some that have been in the pound... you ask them "what's a sweetie like you doing here?"... and they will happily tell you their life story... unfortunately I wasn't in a position to spring any of those - but I'm pretty sure many of them did get rescue - happy and dog friendly little souls, not hard to rehome once in rescue...

We have one at our rescue that is a total grunter when getting cuddles... cracks us all up... *grin*

T.

:laugh: I've got a grunter. He's also the monkey noise maker! When he was a toddler, I'd take him to bed with me and he'd waddle up the bed, curl himself into my neck, grunt, sigh and then go to sleep. When you pick him up now, he snuggles in and starts grunting! He's like a little brindle piglet! ;)

My OH's staffy never barks at all! The only time he barks is if there is a real reason to it. Its probably good though, coz hes got a bark like a maltese lol. Its funny, the keg on legs has the weirdest, sofest, girliest bark lol.