Endurance Test 2010

Kynan

What's everyone's thoughts on having the breaks changed over, so that the back breaks would be on the right hand, seeing as your left hand must hold the leash.

My reason for asking is: if you have the leash in your left like it says you must, and you break with your right; you would go over the bike right?

BF says it would take a few minutes to do, and to see if anyone here had already thought about, or done it. :)

Yep, doesn't take long to do! Using the right hand brake isn't a huge problem unless you have to stop SUDDENLY - then yes, you'd usually go head over handlebars :(

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did an Endurance Test last year and started training 3 months before, I gradually increased the distance to about 5/7 ks a day at a speed of 10ks per hour, Riley was taken swimming once a week and would swim for about 15/20 mins . He was trained on 3 surfaces and I also conditioned his pads daily. We also walked a minimum of 2.5ks daily.

He passed the test with flying colors.

Invest in a good comfy bike seat and bike shorts help you bum lots to.

Good luck

Alright that's it, I'm out, I refuse to wear bike shorts :( Other competitors would be thankful for that :)

Any takers for 2011 in Queensland? I am hoping to complete the ET then as my boy will be old enough.

Please keep us all up to date with your training and experiences along the way. All information very welcome.

I am more expert in the world of bikes than I am in the world of dogs so if anyone wants any help bike wise I might be able to help you out.

i am bryan_mannix. im a taker for 2011. The bikes dont worry me as i have ridden them for 25years, i ride endurance mountain biking every week, so anyone want tips on keeping it together just let me know:-) i was thinking of running it as i used to do 1/2 marathons years ago.

Oh and tip for the humans- practise riding on grass, soft grass as well. I was fine on the hard surfaces but when I did the test about 50% was on soft squishy grass which made it really hard to ride through since I hadnt done too much training on the grass!!

And with this; learn to use your gears, You will be thankful. Drop gears on grass.

Other tips with your bike.. buy a good seat and raise it so that you can hardly touch the ground - that way you are almost completely stretching your legs out, instead of keeping them bent and risking ache. :(

+1 for the comfy seat and using gears- it was the only thing that got me through in the end!!

I was kinda wondering though- I did it on a heavyish bike last time but now also have a cheapish light bike. Would using the lighter bike make any difference? I like training on my heavy bike because I like the stability (when owners allow random dogs to come up and play with my dogs while i am riding with them. GRRRR clearly when I am riding I also want my dog running all over the place with their mutt!! OK mini rant over) but should I use the lighter one of the actual test?

Yep - the lighter bike would make a difference. If you want I can have a look at the bikes, but without even seeing them the light one is probably better (so long as it's not a road bike!)

to buy a lighter bike will cost quite a bit extra if your not into bikes that is. the lighter the bike the dearer they get, i have 2 mountain bikes that probably cost the same as a cheap new car. then i have my road bike which i hardly use since finding the dirt:-)

I did an Endurance Test last year and started training 3 months before, I gradually increased the distance to about 5/7 ks a day at a speed of 10ks per hour, Riley was taken swimming once a week and would swim for about 15/20 mins . He was trained on 3 surfaces and I also conditioned his pads daily. We also walked a minimum of 2.5ks daily.

Good luck

Alright that's it, I'm out, I refuse to wear bike shorts :( Other competitors would be thankful for that :(

just get a pair of bike knicks and put normal shorts over the top

Oh and tip for the humans- practise riding on grass, soft grass as well. I was fine on the hard surfaces but when I did the test about 50% was on soft squishy grass which made it really hard to ride through since I hadnt done too much training on the grass!!

And with this; learn to use your gears, You will be thankful. Drop gears on grass.

Other tips with your bike.. buy a good seat and raise it so that you can hardly touch the ground - that way you are almost completely stretching your legs out, instead of keeping them bent and risking ache. :(

+1 for the comfy seat and using gears- it was the only thing that got me through in the end!!

I was kinda wondering though- I did it on a heavyish bike last time but now also have a cheapish light bike. Would using the lighter bike make any difference? I like training on my heavy bike because I like the stability (when owners allow random dogs to come up and play with my dogs while i am riding with them. GRRRR clearly when I am riding I also want my dog running all over the place with their mutt!! OK mini rant over) but should I use the lighter one of the actual test?

the lighter bike will save your energy on the day, if its hilly. if you fell better on the heavier bike and its more of stable for you use it.. Just test them both before the day and see how you feel. the heavier bike will get you down hills faster, but not really needed when you have a dog attatched, but harder to get up hills.

Any takers for 2011 in Queensland? I am hoping to complete the ET then as my boy will be old enough.

Please keep us all up to date with your training and experiences along the way. All information very welcome.

I am more expert in the world of bikes than I am in the world of dogs so if anyone wants any help bike wise I might be able to help you out.

i am bryan_mannix. im a taker for 2011. The bikes dont worry me as i have ridden them for 25years, i ride endurance mountain biking every week, so anyone want tips on keeping it together just let me know:-) i was thinking of running it as i used to do 1/2 marathons years ago.

Good news. Lets hope we can a get little group on DOL interested and share experiences along the way. The bike part the easy bit for me too. Perhaps I have bumped into you whizzing around Gap Creek or up at the Flight Centre Epic. Good to know there is another XC mtb rider on here!

What's everyone's thoughts on having the breaks changed over, so that the back breaks would be on the right hand, seeing as your left hand must hold the leash.

My reason for asking is: if you have the leash in your left like it says you must, and you break with your right; you would go over the bike right?

BF says it would take a few minutes to do, and to see if anyone here had already thought about, or done it. :(

Yes definately do it. I swapped mine over myself and I don't know much about bikes. I feel alot safer having the rear brake on right hand side.

We went out again this morning at 0630 for our third training session this week. We did 4kms which I am happy with for week 1. Kynan is doing great and I am doing ok. My butt hurts even though I have a padded gel seat. Hoping it will toughen up eventually. Thinking of getting some bike pants with extra padding (long ones though not short ones! :( ) I am very excited about doing the ET and training for it. Hopefully the enthusiasm will last another 4 months though it is going to get harder to get up early when the weather gets colder!

Good news. Lets hope we can a get little group on DOL interested and share experiences along the way. The bike part the easy bit for me too. Perhaps I have bumped into you whizzing around Gap Creek or up at the Flight Centre Epic. Good to know there is another XC mtb rider on here!

probably have nearly run into each other at gap bryan. I would either be on a merida carbon hardtail, or my baby the black blur lt.

BF says it would take a few minutes to do, and to see if anyone here had already thought about, or done it. :laugh:

Check the new rules on the ANKC website - I'm pretty sure they mean you can hold the leash in either hand.

And yes - definitely do some training on grass - for the human mostly. We had to do a bit (fortunately not too much) on grass that was actually under water - what fun - NOT. Training on wet gravel/mud is good too, just in case - depending on the terrain of the test site.

As far as speed goes, it's a good idea to get your dog conditioned up to about 13/14 kph. Some judges will take the first leg out a bit faster than the 10kph, while the dogs are fresh, to give them some fiddle room later. Not a problem as long as your dogs have done a bit at that sort of speed. We found it was good to vary the speeds anyway on training days - a bit of variation for the dogs.

During the breaks are you allowed to use paw wax or moisturiser on your dogs paws? Have read the rules but doesn't say anything only that protective clothing cannot be worn by the dog.

I'd think so. As you say, nothing in the rules says you can't.

Good luck

Alright that's it, I'm out, I refuse to wear bike shorts :crossfingers: Other competitors would be thankful for that :eek:

Or you can buy some mountain bike shorts - they have built in knicks under the shorts and it just looks like you're wearing shorts. The knicks under normal shorts is probably cheaper though.

I used to do downhill and xc. Had some pretty bad injuries a couple years back and haven't ridden for 18 months (lack of time and I don't want any more broken limbs!) My poor bike (like yours, costs the same as a small car!) has been sitting in the shed. :mad I'll be riding my cheapo hardtail for the ET.

Good luck

Alright that's it, I'm out, I refuse to wear bike shorts :thumbsup: Other competitors would be thankful for that :)

Or you can buy some mountain bike shorts - they have built in knicks under the shorts and it just looks like you're wearing shorts. The knicks under normal shorts is probably cheaper though.

I used to do downhill and xc. Had some pretty bad injuries a couple years back and haven't ridden for 18 months (lack of time and I don't want any more broken limbs!) My poor bike (like yours, costs the same as a small car!) has been sitting in the shed. :rofl: I'll be riding my cheapo hardtail for the ET.

sounds like my OH. He's had that many bad accidents from downhill and moto dirt bike, its a wonder im not pushing him around. gotta love the dirt though.......he has no jugular vein on one side and shoulder is wrecked. his hip is not existent just about, and every other limb has been stuffed up somehow:-)

sounds like my OH. He's had that many bad accidents from downhill and moto dirt bike, its a wonder im not pushing him around. gotta love the dirt though.......he has no jugular vein on one side and shoulder is wrecked. his hip is not existent just about, and every other limb has been stuffed up somehow:-)

Geez, your poor OH! My head injury was enough to turn me off (and the broken bones lol)

Good luck

Alright that's it, I'm out, I refuse to wear bike shorts :laugh: Other competitors would be thankful for that :laugh:

I used to do downhill and xc. Had some pretty bad injuries a couple years back and haven't ridden for 18 months (lack of time and I don't want any more broken limbs!) My poor bike (like yours, costs the same as a small car!) has been sitting in the shed. :D I'll be riding my cheapo hardtail for the ET.

You two have me well and truly covered in terms of bike bling and hospital admissions!!

I'm on a trek hardtail which I have greatly souped up with judicious internet purchasing raids and team it with a riding style best described as conservative :confused: Not too popular returning home injured and unable to fulfill domestic duties.

post-31407-1266551185_thumb.jpg by the way this is the dog in question to do the endurance:-) do you think he has it in him. He wont be 2 until the end of the year thank goodness ive got time up my sleeve

what sort of dog /dogs do you have bryan. better ask that questions since we're not on mtb dirt :-)

Edited by sandra64