Air Con

mrs tornsocks

Absolutly no way. My dogs sleep outside anyway, where they have access to cool water, dog pond, green grass and the 2 giant holes they've dug in the lawn!

This kind of prompted my question in a way.

Archie sleeps inside in his crate -- but I think he gets hot in it; a few times I he's barked to wake us up, I let him out thinking it was toilet, but he's panting and flops down on the deck outside. He's only done this once or twice coz most of the time I keep the air con on.

He might be cooler if he can just sleep wherever he likes, but I don't want to leave him free to roam inside the house because he moves and walks around alot and schnuffles and licks his boy bits and that keeps us awake (we can't close our bedroom door, long story). There is no-where in the house we can shut a door and not hear him schnuffle.

I think I might try him outside for a bit while it's still hot and put his crate out there so he's still got his 'security' bed if that's where he wants to sleep. I was thinking he can come sleep back inside when weather starts to cool down; just not sure if I'm giving him a 'confusing' message.

Generally as they get a bid older and out of puppy stage they can settle down and sleep through the night, if we hear licking that wakes us up they get told to knock it off.

I have had the same problem with my boy being too hot in his crate so he takes himself wherever he wants to sleep.

I don't think there is any confusing message, the crate is a bed just like a bed outside the crate is, you're letting him choose which is cooler and therefore more comfortable.

My dogs have access to inside and outside when I'm not home. On hot days I leave the aircon on for them. At night, we have a ceiling fan directly above our bed, and they ahh...sleep on the bed with us :laugh:

I would really like to see this in action Cassie! I get pushed of the bed with the pugs, how on earth do you manage with Zepher and Hudson!??

My dogs have access to inside and outside when I'm not home. On hot days I leave the aircon on for them. At night, we have a ceiling fan directly above our bed, and they ahh...sleep on the bed with us :)

I would really like to see this in action Cassie! I get pushed of the bed with the pugs, how on earth do you manage with Zepher and Hudson!??

:laugh: That must be one MASSIVE bed :laugh:

My dogs are black and long coated and hate the heat, they prefer to be inside on hot days and they sleep inside at night. I hate the heat too and once it reaches 26 degrees in the house I put the aircon on, if it's one of those hot suffocating nights the aircon stays on all night.

Do you / would you leave air con on all night to keep your dog cool ?

Ours is in the loungeroom, where he sleeps, if I turned it off it wouldn't make a difference to me, but it might to him.

I wonder if that's a little extravagent given bills/energy consumption ?

My girls don't like the air con unless it's really stinking hot. they'd rather lie in the wet dirt behind the rosemary bushes. The only place I have air con is in my bedroom . . . and if it's 26+ through the night, I can't sleep without aircon. they are free to come into the bedroom on such nights, if they want.

Yes absolutely I put it on during day for dogs when I'm at work especially with the hot weather recently and living in northern vic can't survive heat up here without air con on so even if I leave at 8 in the morning will turn it onto around 23 and low fan and just shut lounge door so they can have kitchen and lounge area where its cool. My old girl lady sleeps on my bed and I get barked at If i don't put fan on for her of a night, actually didn't put it on last night didn't think it was hot enough but trying to sleep and getting whined at and her panting keeping me awake so put fan on low just so I could get some sleep and yet the maltese shih tzu has a far thicker coat and hates the air con on likes to sit in the back bedroom which is the hottest room in the house. ( not looking forward to my next electricity bill) but apparently the inverter air con's are supposed to not use a lot of power so I've been told.