Air Con

mrs tornsocks

Do you / would you leave air con on all night to keep your dog cool ?

No. I'll have it on during the day on really hot ones. But not at night. But I live in Victoria. The 'laws' down here might be suffocating, but the night temperatures are usually ok. Even when they are above average, I have a window open, but no air-con. Also, my dog is a short and fine hair breed, so that could make a difference.

I turn mine off in the room where the dogs are at night. It's on until they go to bed though. Dash gets cold and shivers easily when it's on. The labs lay spread out on the tiles so they can keep cool that way if they need to.

I often bring them into the air conditioning for a "kindy nap" in the middle of the day when it's hot.

If we were having a heatwave I would. But then, my aircon goes all through the house so if it´s a heatwave it´s already on for me.

Cody sleeps in the screened outside room on hot nights. He can find his own breezy spot out there.

We have the fan on in the room for the dogs in our bedroom. We turn the a/c on for about 20 minutes to get rid of the humidity for them. If it's too hot for us though, the a/c stays on for about 1-2 hrs (on a timer). I have been known to leave the a/c on during the day for them though (usually on a timer as well).

Edited by TerraNik

I'll leave Riley inside if I know its going to be a really hot day, and Ill set the air con on timer to come on at 2pm (thats when our house starts to heat up).

Sometimes we leave it on all night (depends if we're hot). I wouldn't say we specifically leave it on for him, but generally if we're hot, he's probabyl hot too.

My dogs sleep in bed with me and i have the air con on in there at nite.. I also have one on when im not at home... always have and always will!

As i cant leave any windows open and they dont go outside when im not here it works for me...

Edited by TeamSnag

We have the aircon on all day when its about 26 degrees or above. I time it to turn out at around 1 pm though to save some electricity. At night I try to save money so its always off. If its one of those scorcher nights then I have a low fan which I turn on and they can sleep in front of it or move away as they see fit.

Absolutly no way. My dogs sleep outside anyway, where they have access to cool water, dog pond, green grass and the 2 giant holes they've dug in the lawn!

This kind of prompted my question in a way.

Archie sleeps inside in his crate -- but I think he gets hot in it; a few times I he's barked to wake us up, I let him out thinking it was toilet, but he's panting and flops down on the deck outside. He's only done this once or twice coz most of the time I keep the air con on.

He might be cooler if he can just sleep wherever he likes, but I don't want to leave him free to roam inside the house because he moves and walks around alot and schnuffles and licks his boy bits and that keeps us awake (we can't close our bedroom door, long story). There is no-where in the house we can shut a door and not hear him schnuffle.

I think I might try him outside for a bit while it's still hot and put his crate out there so he's still got his 'security' bed if that's where he wants to sleep. I was thinking he can come sleep back inside when weather starts to cool down; just not sure if I'm giving him a 'confusing' message.

Our dogs have inside/outside access but are generally inside so our rule is if it is going to be over 30 degrees that day we set the air con to kick in at 10:30am, we set it at 23 degrees as that is apprantly is a more suitable level for carbon emission.

I have an old dog and a allergic dog who runs hot, both can not handle the heat, if I had dogs who could handle the heat it may be a different story.