Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Today both dogs worked beautifully :laugh: . Our left/right turns are so much better with the new t-turn footwork so thanks for bringing it up you guys. We have a practice trial this Sunday ;) , I'll do the heelwork and recall, no SFE or stays. The SBTCWA has a show the same day and as they're trying to get more people interested in obedience etc we might be getting our photo taken for the newsletter :laugh::laugh::love: .

Wow that's awesome that they are encouraging More obedience dogs . I was looking on their website the other night to see what activities they were mainly involved with but just looked like showing . Do they do any other types of activities lure coursing etc ???

OH and I are moving to WA soon so might see you out there Tiggy !!!! :love:

The club is pretty much just for the showies and breeders at the moment but they're trying to get more people involved that do obedience, agility etc. Alison Leggo from the committee has been so supportive of me and has offered to take photos when we trial as long as it doesn't make me too nervous :o . Looking forward to meeting you when you move to WA :love: .

The SBTCSA are 4 to 5 hrs from where i live here so it will be nice to be able to join (all those Stafford grins hehehehe!).They too are more into breeders and showies but they do lure coursing which looks like a lot of fun for the dogs . When your in the ring you wont even notice anyone or anything outside of the ring , you'll be fine and then when you get out of the ring you will have some lovely photos to look forward too :eek:

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I think I'm well and truely an obedience nut :laugh: . I bought the dogs kangaroo roasts today to cook up for training treats. I don't cook for myself but have some strange pleasure when it's for the dogs :love: . It's so funny when I remember back to the old days when I first started at a club with some dried food, it's gourmet dining now :love: .

Bribery is my best friend :love: toys, treats anything goes !!!!

So I think I'm well and truely an obedience nut :laugh: . I bought the dogs kangaroo roasts today to cook up for training treats. I don't cook for myself but have some strange pleasure when it's for the dogs :love: . It's so funny when I remember back to the old days when I first started at a club with some dried food, it's gourmet dining now :love: .

Bribery is my best friend :love: toys, treats anything goes !!!!

I NEVEER EVER bribe my dog or my grandchildren. I only ever use postitive reinforcement!!! LOL

I am trying to proof Cindy's SFE before our first CCD trial in just over a week :love:

I use the steady feet game and that has worked well. She no longer sits when the judge walks up :laugh:

In the last few days she is starting to move on hind leg-seems to be the side the person approaches her from.

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

It was great to meet you and Scooter, Ptolomy!! It was really nice to watch you in the ring... :laugh:

Good luck for tomorrow!

Thanks for coming up and saying Hi and letting us meet your kids its great to put names to faces.

Hey TerraNik have you ever thought of doing agility - the way your kids jumped out of the crate and came running to you was very impressive - a 500 jump would be no trouble whatsoever :love:

and I forgot to ask whens your next obedience trial?

In the last few days she is starting to move on hind leg-seems to be the side the person approaches her from.

Steady feet games applies for both front and back feet so if she moves remove the food and start again.

I was training Mason using his tug toy as a reward tonight, each time I took it off him he jumps on my leg and tries to hump me, I take it this is due to excitement? It been months since he has humped anything :rofl:

Edited by Masons_mom

Thanks for coming up and saying Hi and letting us meet your kids its great to put names to faces.

Hey TerraNik have you ever thought of doing agility - the way your kids jumped out of the crate and came running to you was very impressive - a 500 jump would be no trouble whatsoever :laugh:

I think agility is the only dog sport she doesn't do :rofl: .

Steady feet games applies for both front and back feet so if she moves remove the food and start again.

Thanks for this-I have been doing it but I am surprised that it has just started. I will back the intnsity off a bit and see how we go.

I was training Mason using his tug toy as a reward tonight, each time I took it off him he jumps on my leg and tries to hump me, I take it this is due to excitement? It been months since he has humped anything :thumbsup:

I think it's partially excitement related but it usually this means that the dog is trying to win the game by dominating you. If you just ignore him till he stops he'll quickly learn that it doesn't win him the toy/game and he'll learn that the only way to win it is by doing what you say!

My GIRL used to do this in the early stages of training to try and win the game, I always felt really stupid with this female puppy (around 12 months old at the time) humping my leg! But ignoring the behaviour made it stop within a few weeks.

Hi, thought Id join in on this thread. I took my 12 month kelpie, Ruby to her first agility training this morning and it was GREAT. She loved it and so did I. I have done agility before years ago competing with a GSD and had forgotten how much fun it is to do, especaily with a dog that wants to go for it. Cant wait for next week now. YE HA :thumbsup:

Hi, thought Id join in on this thread. I took my 12 month kelpie, Ruby to her first agility training this morning and it was GREAT. She loved it and so did I. I have done agility before years ago competing with a GSD and had forgotten how much fun it is to do, especaily with a dog that wants to go for it. Cant wait for next week now. YE HA :)

Addictive isn't it :thumbsup:

So are you planning on doing anything during the week - cos you know once a week isn't enough :)

Hi, thought Id join in on this thread. I took my 12 month kelpie, Ruby to her first agility training this morning and it was GREAT. She loved it and so did I. I have done agility before years ago competing with a GSD and had forgotten how much fun it is to do, especaily with a dog that wants to go for it. Cant wait for next week now. YE HA :)

So are you planning on doing anything during the week - cos you know once a week isn't enough :thumbsup:

Ive got a couple of tyres, jumps and a seesaw my OH made for me, so will play around at home. My club has a training during the week that I can join in on, in a few weeks time when weve got the basics sorted. Addictive indeed :)

Edited by kelpiekaye

I was training Mason using his tug toy as a reward tonight, each time I took it off him he jumps on my leg and tries to hump me, I take it this is due to excitement? It been months since he has humped anything :)

I think it's partially excitement related but it usually this means that the dog is trying to win the game by dominating you. If you just ignore him till he stops he'll quickly learn that it doesn't win him the toy/game and he'll learn that the only way to win it is by doing what you say!

My GIRL used to do this in the early stages of training to try and win the game, I always felt really stupid with this female puppy (around 12 months old at the time) humping my leg! But ignoring the behaviour made it stop within a few weeks.

What I did is I told him 'no', ( yes I do say no to my dog :rofl: ) walked inside and left him outside for 15 mins. When I went back and tried the tug again he sat nicely when I took the tug off him :thumbsup:

It was great to meet you and Scooter, Ptolomy!! It was really nice to watch you in the ring... :rofl:

Good luck for tomorrow!

Hey TerraNik have you ever thought of doing agility - the way your kids jumped out of the crate and came running to you was very impressive - a 500 jump would be no trouble whatsoever :)

:( Yeah that was quite a surprise! I was thinking "Geez, that dog sounds SO much like Ahsoka!" -- Turn around and there she was! :mad At least they managed to find me rather than terrorising the other classes! The class I was teaching had a good laugh about it!

I used to do agility with them, but flyball took over. I might start back doing agility with Soaks eventually! She'd love it.

Jedi's next trial is Anzac Day, but he's a lot itchier than usual at the moment, so not holding my breath. :thumbsup:

Edited by TerraNik

Jedi's next trial is Anzac Day, but he's a lot itchier than usual at the moment, so not holding my breath. :thumbsup:

Beans was in melt down when I left after picking up some foreign food which she was obviously allergic to. Within 24 hours she had ripped holes in her chest inner thigh and foot and was continually scratching poor baby. It is now a case of waiting for it to pass and managing the syptoms as best we can. So I really really know what you are talking about.

Best of luck on Anzac day - any chance of increasing the anti-histamines for 48 hours to see if that helps?

Hi, thought Id join in on this thread. I took my 12 month kelpie, Ruby to her first agility training this morning and it was GREAT. She loved it and so did I. I have done agility before years ago competing with a GSD and had forgotten how much fun it is to do, especaily with a dog that wants to go for it. Cant wait for next week now. YE HA :mad

So are you planning on doing anything during the week - cos you know once a week isn't enough :mad

The girls last night were trying to talk me into entering a jumping trial with Ruby soon :rofl: And silly me is thinking about it as the bug has bitten me :) And no we're soooo not ready :(

:thumbsup: RubyStar - Kenz has been training agility since she was 8 weeks (well obviously only proper height jumping from 12 months) and I am still not sure what possessed me to enter her. Not convinced she is ready.

The girls last night were trying to talk me into entering a jumping trial with Ruby soon :rofl: And silly me is thinking about it as the bug has bitten me :) And no we're soooo not ready :mad

Rubystar - go and practice a sit stay will ya! :( I am on remedial stay training next Monday and i need somebody to practice with :thumbsup:

Actually thinking of missing my flight home - I love it here :mad