Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Geez don't do that! I might never judge again!!! :o

I got told once to imagine the Judge in their underware :rofl: just before going into the ring :laugh:

ok you are safe :rofl::laugh: :laugh: with me

I dont do that anyway to scary for me tooo :o dont want to go there :laugh:

I now just look at going in the ring as a training day, if we stuff up, we stuff up, go in & have fun & be relaxed :laugh:

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got told once to imagine the Judge in their underware :rofl: just before going into the ring :laugh:

With no particular judges in mind, that would just put me off! :olaugh.gif

yes it would RB, did that the first time I went in & we bombed badly, I never did that again :D

just had an awsome training sesion :D just hope we can do it again this weekend for the state trials :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

the weather is looking good tooooo no rain during both days :cooldance:

Only isolated/scattered showers so you might be lucky.

Hope it all goes as well as your training session. At least you know you can do it! Might get there for a look on Sunday.

That would be good PP :D how is your sweetie all better yet ???

we are doing both days

She was getting better, then I got her out of the car without putting her lead on first and she took off and did a zoomie and now we're back to square one I think. :-( Stupid me!

Hope you went well today. Will look for you if I get there tomorrow.

Hi :) just wondering if anyone could tell me my chances of being able to join an agility club in vic? In particular I was looking at actiondogs, vic.

Pup is only 8 months at the moment but will i have to wait ages to get in??

Thanks!

Hi :) just wondering if anyone could tell me my chances of being able to join an agility club in vic? In particular I was looking at actiondogs, vic.

Pup is only 8 months at the moment but will i have to wait ages to get in??

Thanks!

Hi jrm88 you have to do a email register through their web site it has all the info there that you need to know, only the top 8-10 dogs will be selected to join :D good luck, this what had to do here is the link to the site

http://www.actiondogsvic.com/membership.htm

Well I nearly have my nerves under control! :D We had our first Novice trial yesterday and Jovi did so well, I was so happy with her! We had a few little hiccups in the heeling part and for some reason she stopped in a stand and watched me keep walking :shrug::laugh: and I had to call her up and she ran back too my side so happy haha, but for the majority of it she heeled perfectly.

I however according to the judge kept doing extra signals with my left hand and as I had no one filming couldn't see what she meant. I do a hand signal and command when heeling off and only ever use my left hand for a stand signal (it would explain why she stopped in a stand though). So we got docked massively and ended up getting a DQ but I didn't speak to her which I am happy with! Get one thing under control and then it's another thing to work on :laugh:

Got full marks for SFE, retrieve, stays but lost points on the recall because when I did the about turn I stopped straight away instead of listening to the judge and coming in a little more than stopping :o

Going back to the drawing board a bit and working on my hand signals so I don't confuse her again and so I don't get docked for "extra" commands in future!

On my upper thigh, in a fist so I don't unintentionally give confusing hand signals. Find it quite amusing that I remembered to keep my mouth shut but forgot about my hands.

Where does everyone place their hands?

Hi all

Thought it's about time that I should join this thread, I have started obedience training with my almost six month old Border Collie puppy and we are loving it :thumbsup: We have so much fun at training and I love how enthusiastic she is about everything. She throws 100% of herself into all training we do (both at home and at the club).

She is such a little problem solver and I can't wait to see how we go in Obedience. I'm sure she's going to be teaching me lots as I've never done formal obedience before (only Flyball and Agility).

Does anyone practice duration heeling in an actual heel pattern with positions? The advice I was given was just to do it in big circles or straight lines, which I do and Ava will focus on me for over a minute (I've never built it up further than that). But she loses focus much quicker in actual heel patterns with turns and positions.

She is super sensitive and even a NRM sometimes has her shutting down.

I'm struggling at the moment between whether her age is a factor in this (she is 20 months old) or whether it's my training - I suspect it's a bit of both ;) Her heelwork at trials is reliable but a little messy due to the focus issues. We just need one more Novice pass then I think we will take a little break from obedience and focus on agility instead... I just love obedience but I think I would like her to mature a bit more before entering Open. I want it to remain fun for both of us :)

Edit: When I say she loses focus, she doesn't lag, but she will look at something in the environment and get out of position. She always rights herself eventually but it loses lots of points :p

Edited by wuffles