Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Was Ptolomy who once (ok maybe a few times said to me) on recounting a training session where the dog did the exercise correctly the first time so I asked for it again and not only did I repeat it but I think I repeated it 3-4 times - why if the dog did it correctly the first time did you then repeat it. The idea is the dog does it correctly the first time. We weren't talking about heelwork in that instance but I guess all she was saying is don't flog something until it breaks just for the sake of it :o.

I would certainly suggest keeping it short and sweet if the dog is struggling with motivation.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:laugh: Chocolates to boiled lollies this week. Thought my coco monster was something of a mud lark but the rain tonight was too heavy even for her. Sent her in the SB and she did a runner from the ring over the side rope under the shed that was only about 5 yards from the side of the ring :o And then to add insult to injury she sat and looked at me when I called her back :o:o

Needless to say we withdrew at that point and I think some training in the wet again is the order of the day. Admittedly it was the heaviest rain I've seen in a looong time and people were withdrawing all over the place as conditions were ridiculous but still......

At least we gave everyone a good laugh :laugh:

Oh norty Coco laugh.gif Sounds like it was quite entertaining!

I've been working with mum's new addition, Pippa the mini schnauzer (currently 11.5 weeks old). Mum has done a good job of teaching her to sit, wait for her dinner, and to shake paw, and I've been doing a bit of work with her waiting in a sit while I throw a tug toy and release her to it. She's a keen little tugger! Then yesterday I started with her sitting at heel to make her think it's the best place ever. I have such a sore back from leaning down and treating rofl1.gif She barely makes it past my ankle laugh.gif But by today's session she was sitting there looking up at me, waiting for her C/T. She's the "mini Lab" dad wanted - she is a garbage guts!! LOOOVES her food!!

Sounds like a cutie and a smartie RS!

Well our next trial is this Saturday and Im hoping the work Ive put in the last week and a the work we will put in over the next 6 days will show! We have been working on solid sits and neat turns amongst distractions. We seem to be coming along nicely I think. I changed leads from a long heavy leather lead to a smaller light cotton type lead which I find easier to use and it drags less on the check chain.

ETA- Question- The new lead is 95cms, reading the rules it says a handler must be a minimum 750cms away from the dog with a loose lead. Should I be measuring to make sure this lead allows for that?

Edited by spoilt lab lives here

SLLH - a 95cm lead is more than long enough. Dare I ask how wide it is - I have to say a pet hate are horse leads used in the CCD ring. I would have made a fortune for every time I have given a CCD person a lead to borrow for the day.

......and before you answer if it is anything wider than 15mm ( well I would usually say 10mm but I am being nice) its too wide!

SLLH - a 95cm lead is more than long enough. Dare I ask how wide it is - I have to say a pet hate are horse leads used in the CCD ring. I would have made a fortune for every time I have given a CCD person a lead to borrow for the day.

......and before you answer if it is anything wider than 15mm ( well I would usually say 10mm but I am being nice) its too wide!

My "everyday" lead is about 25mm wide and I used that in the ring :p They have been cut down so are quite short and they are light and it's what I felt comfortable using :) There is never any lead leftover to flap in their face, which I hate :o

Happy to report its 10mm :laugh: The first trial the other week I went in with my 3/4 inch 4ft leather lead from k9 force :rofl: Heavy Duty stuff haha

I use my 4ft leather leash all the time in trialling! I can't use anything other than leather, yuck! But I have a 1/2 inch one braided one I always use for trialling :)

Leashes are evil. I had a cheap light cotton leash for CCD and now I just grab whatever leash I find on the morning of the trial. So glad I don't need that thing in the ring anymore. I was doing a class at our club that is mainly on leash and Ava and I both had trouble with the SFE even though she's been solid on that all throughout Novice... it's so confusing :laugh:

I love love love my leather lead! And outside of trialling and training for trials its the lead I use. Im trying to convince my partner to get one instead of a round nylon lead which I hate! :laugh: But he loves it.

I find Ramses doesnt notice as much when I take the lead off. Probably should start training without a lead a bit more often I think.

I love love love my leather lead! And outside of trialling and training for trials its the lead I use. Im trying to convince my partner to get one instead of a round nylon lead which I hate! :laugh: But he loves it.

Blergh I hate those crappy nylon leashes!

I find Ramses doesnt notice as much when I take the lead off. Probably should start training without a lead a bit more often I think.

All my training is off leash really, I find adding the leash makes no difference with D, god knows when we will ever trial again though :rolleyes:

Edited by huski

Leashes are evil. I had a cheap light cotton leash for CCD and now I just grab whatever leash I find on the morning of the trial. So glad I don't need that thing in the ring anymore. I was doing a class at our club that is mainly on leash and Ava and I both had trouble with the SFE even though she's been solid on that all throughout Novice... it's so confusing :laugh:

I'm a bit the same... one of these days I'll rock up at a trial without a leash because I just never use them! LOL

LOL Whats more scary is when you rock up to a trial without a collar on your dog!!! They don't wear them at home and I just chucked him in the car... good thing I have spare collars and leads in my training bag. I hate leads...they get in the way! Im with Ptolomy....a small light weight lead is best for trialling. 90 cm is fine but absolutely no longer.

I'm a bit the same... one of these days I'll rock up at a trial without a leash because I just never use them! LOL