Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Here is my video of our time in the ring last weekend. We have a bit of work to do this week but over all Im happy with our pass! We got 20 for heeling, 18 for SFE and 19 for recall. If anyone can see where we lost marks in the SFE let me know! I couldnt tell and forgot to ask the judge on the day. *Warning* The video is very shakey in parts due to an 11yr old losing her focus watching us :laugh:

And here are the stays- Once again its shakey.

I really need to re-learn how to edit the videos and chop out some of the crappy bits lol What do you use to edit vids?

I had a look at the vid's, SFE = I couldnt see anything unless your sweetie moved a paw when the judge stood in the way of the camera, Recall= you may have lost the point if you didnt leave at least 3sec's between calling your dogs name & " come"

Heeling = out to wide in the figure 8's, a bit wide on the about turns.

I hope this helps, I know this as my boy use to go wide on our turns :D

otherwise great work :D

Edited by murve

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks! Yeah Im assuming he moved a foot and we just cant see it because of the judge in the way and I didnt notice it at the time.

As soon as the words came out of my mouth for the recall I thought oooo I said that a bit quick! But the judge said we lost a point for him not heeling briskly at the start of the recall. He started heeling after Id taken a few steps. And tight corners is our focus this week. :)

SLLH - tell the 11 year old they did good for a first up effort :D and then give them the camera to practice with while you are training in the back yard this week ;)

My only suggestion is to change the hand you are carrying your lead in. Every time you gave a signal you had to swap the lead from your right to your left hand. Carry it in your left hand and it can stay there :thumbsup:

I will see if I can post a video of STrauss from the weekend (its on FB) just not sure how to get it on here. He does have a lead on, but its very hard to see and it stays in my left hand the entire time.

<object width="240" height="120" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook....150301685702048" /><embed src="http://www.facebook....150301685702048" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="240" height="120"></embed></object>

Hmm not sure if this is going to work. Its my young boy STrauss (16 months old) who up until last week I referred to as my stud dog ;) Had a lesson with the guru and a week later this is what we have...... and yes he does have a lead on :)

Thanks Caffy for the Video and all your help with the kids :thumbsup:

Edited by Ptolomy

Here is my video of our time in the ring last weekend. We have a bit of work to do this week but over all Im happy with our pass! We got 20 for heeling, 18 for SFE and 19 for recall. If anyone can see where we lost marks in the SFE let me know! I couldnt tell and forgot to ask the judge on the day. *Warning* The video is very shakey in parts due to an 11yr old losing her focus watching us :laugh:

And here are the stays- Once again its shakey.

I really need to re-learn how to edit the videos and chop out some of the crappy bits lol What do you use to edit vids?

First of all - your boy is lovely :D

2:17 for a CCD heel routine, including positions in fast pace?! eek1.gif Great work!

Can't see where you would have lost 2 points in SFE. The recall I would have taken more off than the SFE due to the delay in the heel up.

Well done! You guys will have your CCD in no time :D GO THE LABS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbsup1.gif

SLLH that looked great, and your handling was much improved from last time too! :D

The only thing I can think of in the SFE is that when you went back to him it looked like you might have stood a bit crooked - I know it sounds nitpicky but some judges will dock you points for that. I lost 1 point in one of our SFEs and still have no idea how we lost it so sometimes you just have to shrug and just be happy you passed :D

SLLH- I think you look like you did well. Another suggestion for the camera steadiness would be to look at investing in a tripod. Either way was a lovely day by the looks of it, and congrats on the pass :).

Bedazzledx2- Thanks for your advice about managing training so that only need one NRM (if needed at all). It's been really helpful in allowing me to clearly see what behaviour is understood and what still needs to be learned.

I have a training question from our walk today-- have a few ideas where I may have gone wrong, just wanted to get more ideas. I've copied and pasted from my post in the GSD breed thread;

Walked Brennan a bit earlier then I normally walk her today. Walked past a guy walking his dog with no reaction ( although the dog was 40 feet away from us). Then we walked behind 2 dogs at the park- one we were 25 feet and the other 33 feet away from. She got a bit excitable ( stopped walking nicely) when we saw our 4th dog at a distance of 40 feet away. Then we reached the home stretch of our walk. We passed a dog behind a wooden fence at fifteen feet away. However she went to react to a 6th dog which was barking behind a chain fence at a distance of fifteen feet away.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to why? I don't think I changed anything in my behaviour. Just carried on walking like no big deal. She went to pull/lunge-- didn't bark but she was close to barking.

At this stage my thoughts are that I could accidentally have 'psyched her up' to be 'on guard' with the way I was keeping an eye on the dogs. We have only recently jut changed our route so the last stretch has a whole new set of dogs to pass. I don't tense up as much when passing homes with dogs although I do know which homes have dogs and prepare myself mentally to be 'calm and in control' when passing these homes. Could it be that this is still transferring down to Brennan hence the reason she is 'looking' for these dogs as we near their homes. Should I try and pretend that there are no dogs in any homes we pass whilst remaining calm if they do bark?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah a tripod will be coming along with us this Sunday! Miss 11 is my sister who is my trusty trialling sidekick who helps me with the gazebo and filming :laugh: She is coming around to the idea of training their little dog Penelope. She was so excited we got a pass god love her!

For Christmas we are getting our own video camera. At the moment we are borrowing one from our stepdads school. Although this weekend not sure what we are going to use. Maybe just an Iphone.

Yeah a tripod will be coming along with us this Sunday! Miss 11 is my sister who is my trusty trialling sidekick who helps me with the gazebo and filming :laugh: She is coming around to the idea of training their little dog Penelope. She was so excited we got a pass god love her!

For Christmas we are getting our own video camera. At the moment we are borrowing one from our stepdads school. Although this weekend not sure what we are going to use. Maybe just an Iphone.

Careful about buying a new camera for trials, they can jinx you! rofl1.gif

At the 2009 State Obedience trial (WA), Ruby put in the heelwork round of her life! But it was filmed on my normal camera that can't zoom while it films. So the next day I went out and bought a new video camera for the National Obedience trial that night, and we didn't even make it 30 seconds into the heelwork embarrass.giflaugh.gif

I got a camera for agility nationals... don't think one round was filmed :o:laugh:

Will do Zora's vid a bit later (need to film it first). I am a bit disappointed that my new schedule at works means I am going to miss quite a few training nights, but have most weekends in October free :thumbsup:

Wow RV she is doing really well! What a cutie :D She is gonna be such a pretty prancer in heelwork ;)

I need to get some video of Pippa but she's just this ball of wickedness at the moment, she isn't doing much! I did get her to nose target a bait plate on the ground (while Ruby insisted on picking it up and delivering to hand rofl1.gif 1 to the black ninja, 0 to Ruby!) but she's only 12 weeks and I only get a few days access to her, so lots of time yet! Mum has taught her to shake paw, wait for her dinner, and the beginnings of loose lead walking so she's quite chuffed! And so she should be :D

Also is it too early to be teaching an 8,5 week old pup to drop?? I think Mason was a bit older when I taught him. I am battling to get Gibbs to drop though, he does not lay down if i lure him with the food between his front legs like I learnt to do at dog dlub with Mas.

Hi all, just wanted to know, if my boy sits a bit skew after the finish in Novice what will I be penalised, its not very very skew but not as straight as I would like it, Im still working in this :)

At our trial on Saturday, we lost one point in the recall, and that was because she finished about a half step too far forward and a little squiffy. So frustrating when this happens. She'd been finishing a half step too far back, so obviously we've over corrected it!

Hi all, just wanted to know, if my boy sits a bit skew after the finish in Novice what will I be penalised, its not very very skew but not as straight as I would like it, Im still working in this :)

At our trial on Saturday, we lost one point in the recall, and that was because she finished about a half step too far forward and a little squiffy. So frustrating when this happens. She'd been finishing a half step too far back, so obviously we've over corrected it!

He sits right next to me but the body faces a bit toward me at times, I am trying to correct it but its taking some time.