Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm about to head out with my girls to do some training so will watch your video when I get back bedazzled! But before I go I thought I'd share a video of 13 week old Pippa the miniature schnauzer in her first shaping session to put her paws on a little box on the floor :)

I'm about to head out with my girls to do some training so will watch your video when I get back bedazzled! But before I go I thought I'd share a video of 13 week old Pippa the miniature schnauzer in her first shaping session to put her paws on a little box on the floor :)

Aw, how cute!!!

Shaping is fun!!! Snazz retrieved a pair of scissors, a 6 pack of My Dog and a stuffed Wubba Toy tonight. Just love shaping :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, guys! She's a smart little cookie, full of spunk, too laugh.gif

Shaping is fun!!! Snazz retrieved a pair of scissors, a 6 pack of My Dog and a stuffed Wubba Toy tonight. Just love shaping :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Scissors rofl1.gif

I was out doing some retrieving training this afternoon with SparkyTansy and she left her massive bundle of long line rope for her Lulu on the ground. I sent Ruby to retrieve a dummy, but she deviated and went to pick up this huge bundle of rope. I should have moved it, but couldn't help but laugh as she struggled to pick it up, persevered, then came bounding back with this heavy load, oh so proud of herself laugh.gif

Nope..borrowed Ptolomy's...mine's still being repaired :(

PS - great little camera isn't it

Yes its a little ripper! Was really easy to download...just copied and paste :)

Did you finally pick up a video camera where it saves to a memory card that you just shove in your computer? :D

Love mine!!!

Zac looks awesome Bedazzled, maybe he and Strauss can pass on some pointers to Zora (and Toby :laugh: ) And Pippa is just too cute RS!

Well Zora will fetch a wooden spoon - thats like halfway to seekback right? :rofl: Had a good session yesterday with Toby where he seemed to be getting stands, lets see if we can do that two days in a row!

Well no pass on Sunday. A bit of confusion before hand had me a bit flustered and Ramses was out of sorts all morning. More interested in relaxing than working :laugh:

Number 3 was nearly finished when they called us..No6. I had just got him out to give him a bit of a warm up and they were asking if we were ready to go in the ring. So I raced over without warming him up and ready to go in the ring when the steward says oh no its ok we dont need you in right now! So we did a bit outside the ring but by that time Id got a bit flustered being rushed around and didnt want to miss our turn!

So write this one off and its full steam ahead for next weekend!

Eek I hate when things like that happen. At our last trial the dog before us did a runner in the heelwork so all of a sudden we were in! Sure gets the heart rate up.

My club has decided to do two ribbon obedience trials next month which would have been perfect for us... unfortunately I think my chances of training out of sight stays in a few weeks are fairly slim :o

Always disconcerting when that happens! Its a good thing to have it happen early on though as you can train for it. When you have multiple dogs trialling, inevitably someone is going to get rushed into the ring...just ask Ptolomy!!! :laugh:

Work on getting your dog out of the car and into the 'ring' (start peg) with no warm up. Do a few steps of great heeling with focus, mark and reward and put him back in the car. Another time you can get him out and practice waiting outside the ring for your turn. Don't do heaps of heelwork to warm up, maybe have him in a down wait with attention and be ready to call him into heel and go in the ring. Little bits of doodling should be enough to warm him up.

Good luck for next weekend :)

Well no pass on Sunday. A bit of confusion before hand had me a bit flustered and Ramses was out of sorts all morning. More interested in relaxing than working :laugh:

Number 3 was nearly finished when they called us..No6. I had just got him out to give him a bit of a warm up and they were asking if we were ready to go in the ring. So I raced over without warming him up and ready to go in the ring when the steward says oh no its ok we dont need you in right now! So we did a bit outside the ring but by that time Id got a bit flustered being rushed around and didnt want to miss our turn!

So write this one off and its full steam ahead for next weekend!

That's good advice bedazzled - another thing to add to the training to do list :laugh:

Zac's looking really good. And loved Pippa's shaping session RS.

Had a smaller puppy class at club yesterday (dire weather forecast, but turned out OK) so had the chance to show them perch box rear end awareness work - combination of luring and shaping (without the clicker - just verbal marker - there's a limit to what you can do in a group class at a dog club) - worked out pretty well.

Rory did some nice work at club - including a lovely retrieve over high jump - friend had the jump out - think it's only the second time he's done it on the official jump - and only third time at all. Good boy! Now all I have to do is fix the distractability and stay problems so that we can actually get to use his nice ROH. :rofl:

And loved Pippa's shaping session RS.

I did another session with Pippa yesterday and she's up to offering me both paws on the box, and pausing a bit instead of jumping straight off. You can see her little mind ticking over. She races over, puts her paws on, and she looks at me intently waiting for that magical click!! I also did a short session purely on attention. She kept looking at my hands for a treat, so I waited her out to offer me eye contact and it didn't take long for that to click with her. She kept looking up at me then laugh.gif

I also did some sessions with Ruby and Millie yesterday. My goal was for them to pick a basket up by the handle and hold it. In 3 short sessions, Ruby was up to grabbing it with her mouth but was reluctant to pick it up. In 2 sessions, Millie was sitting and holding it by the handle laugh.gif Both started out pawing it, which surprised me, as they like to bring me things being retrievers! Next up I might get them to place items into the basket :) They do best at shaping with objects. If there is no object to interact with, all they offer me is walking backwards embarrass.giflaugh.gif

Oh - forgot - wanted to ask about the video camera - must get one - needs to be easy to use and idiot proof!

I have a JVC Everio. It takes an SD memory card (2 actually!) You open it, it turns on and opens the shutter thing, press record and away you go! Pull card out, shove in memory card slot in laptop to copy files across. Very easy!!