Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Just spent some time in the backyard practising some manners. We worked on 'Leave it' ( as it applies to toys), 'Release' ( letting go of toy from mouth), 'Wait', 'Here' and 'Stay'. Still working at under threshold. I did make 'Wait' and 'Here' that tiny bit harder by dropping her ball ( which she loves) and/ or a Wubba in between me and her. We had a success rate of 50% ( of her coming to me and ignoring the toy). A few times she grabbed the toy but dropped it once I gave her a NRM. Have only just started working on this.

What word do you guys use for getting the dog to release an object ie Tug? Brennan is not super tug motivated ( prefers balls) but every now and then (like today) she will show some good drive for Tug. Am considering doing K9 Pro's TID after I have done his Loose Leash Walking DLP ( which haven't started yet).

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine is 'give' but I haven't used it on my youngster yet. That's something I want on cue with no confusion so at the moment I'm just letting the toy go dead and if necessary hold his collar until he gives it up....a chunk of food in his face works well too :laugh:

Brennan's Mum see if you can manage your training for now so she doesn't need a NRM. If you need to use it more than twice then she is either not understanding or she is not ready for that level yet. Make haste slowly! ;)

:rofl: bedazzledx2 your lucky a chunk of food in the face works. I had a handful of food, was dropping it on the ground and nope the frisbee was much more exciting. I thought I would train a session in the yard and well guess Kenz had a fairly rigid view of what her reward should be and it didn't seem to mesh with mine on this particular occasion. Oh well frisbee worked sort of and dog was happy :rofl:.

Well done Spoilt Lab Lives Here! Nice score too. Any video?

I won't be at state obedience anymore,my roster changed and I am now working from 1300 to 2100 :( But on the plus side I am hoping after the start of October to have weekends off so I should be able to make the obedience trial on the 29th. :) (Will found out next week)

SLLH and Nik - you both have to go and post in the BRAGS thread - its a must .........as you never know when you will get the next opportunity ;)

well done Nik on your HIT :thumbsup:

RV - UM dare I ask have you thought of taking annual leave for the night, or throwing a sickie?

SLLH and Nik - you both have to go and post in the BRAGS thread - its a must .........as you never know when you will get the next opportunity ;)

well done Nik on your HIT :thumbsup:

RV - UM dare I ask have you thought of taking annual leave for the night, or throwing a sickie?

Yes I have :) But I have taken it as an sign - even the scheduling software at work knows how NOT ready me and Toby are :laugh: Plus my annual leave was all used up for my US trip. :(

Thats my plan for October. We have 4 trials between now and the 2nd weekend in October so if we keep going the way we arew and title between now and then Ill be having a few weeks off before seeing how ready we are for the next ring. Im really excited about the November trials int he Gazette :rofl:

Does anyone else get excited over the Gazette?

Does anyone else get excited over the Gazette?

Yes :o (except our is called the Canine News).

I keep losing mine, though!!! It gets taken between my house, my parent's house, and work, because I don't have a printer at home to do my entries so I keep forgetting where I left it last! :(

I haven't had an obedience trial since July, and my next one isn't til end of September. Then my next one after that isn't likely to be until November! I'm having withdrawals! So my second half of 2011 has been quite empty when it comes to trials :(

Just took my two down to the local oval, to do a little obedience work.

Toby went well, did his heeling with lots of enthusiasm (sometimes too much - thanks new cuz ball) Toby did not at any point shut down or give any indication he was stressed, despite two Rottweilers barking thier heads off at him, a busy road nearby and Zora going feral in the car, all things that have caused a melt down in the past. :thumbsup:

Also Zora is just so much fun to work with! She throws 110% into it and loves playing 'training'. I suspect she may overtake Toby's level of training before long! :eek:

Great work RV - I still can;t get over how far Toby has come in the last 12 months :thumbsup:

I think you need to post a couple of 10 second clips of what Zora knows so that we can all go OooooH isn't she gorgeous and you can look back in 4 weeks and see how much more she knows.

Great work RV - I still can;t get over how far Toby has come in the last 12 months :thumbsup:

I think you need to post a couple of 10 second clips of what Zora knows so that we can all go OooooH isn't she gorgeous and you can look back in 4 weeks and see how much more she knows.

Thanks Ptolomy! I am really happy with him too. We have had help from some awesome people along the way, including yours truly ;)

I think I should! She is growing/learning so fast! I will try and do one tomorrow. :)

We have our next trial at Ballaarat, it is a double, on the 18th of this month, we are doing both, :D

hopefully we will come home with our 3rd pass to get out title of CCD :crossfingers: , it would be well worth the 21/2 hr drive there

Way to go SLLH & Nik on getting your passes :dancingelephant:

Here is my video of our time in the ring last weekend. We have a bit of work to do this week but over all Im happy with our pass! We got 20 for heeling, 18 for SFE and 19 for recall. If anyone can see where we lost marks in the SFE let me know! I couldnt tell and forgot to ask the judge on the day. *Warning* The video is very shakey in parts due to an 11yr old losing her focus watching us :laugh:

And here are the stays- Once again its shakey.

I really need to re-learn how to edit the videos and chop out some of the crappy bits lol What do you use to edit vids?