Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Aaaaarggghhh. I'm trying to enter trials and computer has had a meltdown and won't load. Going to have to see whether some friendly neighbours are home. Off to the computer doctor this afternoon.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the hard copy of the gazette just need the entry forms which are on my computer. I have just recently backed up my hard drive, so the file should be on that. Entry for one trial is due tomorrow (I'm good at leaving everything to the last minute!) :)

But thanks for the offer :D

Edited by Nik

Been really slack in posting here, mainly because compared to a lot of you who compete in various sports, me and Brennan are 'boring'...we are just plodding along doing our behaviour modification.

We are still working well. I do find my biggest issue is trying to 'rush' things...I have to remember that I have behaviours which have been learnt in 2 years.

So far we have decreased her threshold from 25 feet to 19 feet. The element of surprise is our biggest issue at the moment...we can work out the homes with dogs in them and walk to a 'plan'. I am getting much better in my confidence though- so when faced with a surprise dog/ cat I just think to myself 'I am as good a trainer as Jane' ( behaviourist I hired)-- of course it's not true, but I do notice the change in my body language..I 'feel' more confident if that makes sense?.

Well today was downright embarrassing :o:laugh: Walked into the ring, he was bored out of brain and just didnt do well. I stuffed up the recall by saying stay instead of wait and so he stayed right there. He wasnt going anywhere! So Ill put this all down to experience and keep on training!

Aww, but on the plus side-- sounds like he did a really good 'Stay' :thumbsup:

Well today was downright embarrassing :o:laugh: Walked into the ring, he was bored out of brain and just didnt do well. I stuffed up the recall by saying stay instead of wait and so he stayed right there. He wasnt going anywhere! So Ill put this all down to experience and keep on training!

and you got to take the best dog home. :thumbsup:

I used to give newby handlers my old girl Lara to play with and warm up with, she was the perfect dog for this and would do wonders for the newbies confidence which is half the battle. They would then go back to their own dogs with more confidence and make less mistakes.

Don't you love it when you take your youngster out and do an exercise they haven't done in probably 8 or 9 months and they do it right off the bat as they though they have been doing it there entire live. Nice work Kenz :thumbsup:.

Bugger about the trial spoilt lab but Ptolomy is sure right you do always take the best dog home again with you after.

Edited by ness

He sure is! He made lots of friends at the twin servos on the f3 and made me laugh :laugh:

I was way too serious as usual and need to keep it fun outside the ring. Also I waited outside the ring for a while before we went in and I think thats where his boredom came from. Next time I might try a bit of a game before we go in and see how we go then. Mr." Ill only do it if theres something in it for me" showed me Im boring and need to keep him interested :laugh:

Ok here is one for anybody out there - when do you consider a problem strictly a training issue and not the dog being physically unable to do so. As everybody knows Kenz has/had damaged a shoulder ligament or tendon and was showing few problems other than laying down in sit stays so she was pulled from the ring for a number of months (since April). She first started showing signs of being "sore" in mid December last year. She has managed 2 Novice length sit stays at a trial over that time but after failing 2 on consecutive days in April I pulled her out to concentrate on making sure her shoulder had come good.

Fast forward to now - many many months down the track - she is for all intensive purposes back to around 85-90% and has been back in moderate training for a few weeks after she was given the go ahead to increase her activity after her latest Chiro vet appointment. My issue with her as everybody also knows is she is a particularly stress head dog.

She seems "fine" when we are out playing or around home and isn't pulling up sore with the training she is doing yet I am struggling to rebuild any sort of sit stay that doesn't involve her weight shifting off her shoulder which just so happens to be the one where we know there are still niggling issues that are yet to resolve and might not yet for some time.

Anybody been in a similar situation and got any advice.

Guest Panzer Attack!

Ness, being a complete newbie I have no idea :o but just wanted to wish you and Kenzie all the best. I know it's a bit different, but I have groomed in the past and one poodle used to give me so much grief. She'd had a problem with a slipping kneecap in the past and every time I groomed 'that' leg, she'd hold it up like it had slipped again and dance around the table and just be a jerk! As soon as her owner arrived to remove her from the situation she was right as rain, and when it was time to shave the foot and scissor the leg she'd be back to her old tricks.

Is it possible that she's so used to posturing in a certain way that she does it without thinking now? Or that she might think that it's an end to what you're asking (i.e. if I sit like this, Mum will end the training session and I can relax)? Idk, like I said, newb!

Anyhoo, I just came in here to post that Scooter and I had our first real TID session. He did a really good job. Until the dog next door started barking at him from the fence. I feel so sorry for this dog, he(?)'s a big bull breed mix who never has any intraction time with his owners. He has a smaller staffy friend who is quiet, but OMG this dog barks from dawn til dusk and Scooter's started picking up on the behaviour. Grrr!! The dog seems almost like he's jealous, he'll go nuts whenever Luke or I work with Barkly or Scooter (this is at Luke/OH's house). And I have the same problem at home with a SWF! Haha. BUT - he did recall off the barking dog for about 3 seconds, so I'm wrapped about that!

Feels like I'm fighting a losing battle with the barking. He's been 'in training' with the shush command since the day I got him home, and will shush once, maybe twice, but if the other dog keeps going and going and going it's a bit too much to expect a six month old with a breed tendancy to bark to shut up. :( At least the neighbours won't be reporting him anytime soon, lol.

Weird part is that obedience he doesn't bark at a single dog. He LOVES dogs and is very dog/people social... it's just these damn fence chasers!!! Is it something I'd have to worry about if I want to trial him? I don't want him to be 'that' dog that everyone knows is going to bark bark bark and be a total hyper PITA LOL.

E x

Hey PA :D dont give up on your training :) we have the same pobs here, we have a some kind of a spoodle next door & a visiting Lab thats got an agro attitude so I understand where you are coming from :(

try not to let the Fence chasers/barkers get to you, Scooter & Barkly :D

I find being outside with our babies they dont bark & when we come inside they too come in :D

We did some training tonight in a dimly lit park in the dark after the rain. He is getting used to the 'no sniff' command. Training wasnt too bad. Im making him watch me a lot more and I made it fun at the end with a game of fetch. His number 1 thing in the world! :laugh:

Question- How did you get solid automatic sits? What do you do in training to get that result? We have good sits for the first 5-10 mins of training then he goes a bit sloppy like he has had enough. I usually only do a few more sits/drops/stands and then we finish up when he gets like that.