Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Hi :) just wondering if anyone could tell me my chances of being able to join an agility club in vic? In particular I was looking at actiondogs, vic.

Pup is only 8 months at the moment but will i have to wait ages to get in??

Thanks!

Hi jrm88 you have to do a email register through their web site it has all the info there that you need to know, only the top 8-10 dogs will be selected to join :D good luck, this what had to do here is the link to the site

http://www.actiondogsvic.com/membership.htm

I train at Action Dogs. I *think* I was on the waiting list for 12 months, but it varies. Best bet is to put your name down for a few clubs and then wait (or, if you're really keen, train some foundation behaviours).

When your name comes up, you get invited to a 'test" day - you don't need to have any agility skills to pass it. It is about testing your dog's recall (important because we start training off leash on day 1), how he/she copes around other dogs, drive, ability to learn (ie demonstrate a trick) etc. I was very nervous but there is no need to be. They normally only accept up to 10 people but there were 12 in our group and we all got through (that isn't the standard though).

Edited by megan_

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi :) just wondering if anyone could tell me my chances of being able to join an agility club in vic? In particular I was looking at actiondogs, vic.

Pup is only 8 months at the moment but will i have to wait ages to get in??

Thanks!

Hi jrm88 you have to do a email register through their web site it has all the info there that you need to know, only the top 8-10 dogs will be selected to join :D good luck, this what had to do here is the link to the site

http://www.actiondogsvic.com/membership.htm

I train at Action Dogs. I *think* I was on the waiting list for 12 months, but it varies. Best bet is to put your name down for a few clubs and then wait (or, if you're really keen, train some foundation behaviours).

When your name comes up, you get invited to a 'test" day - you don't need to have any agility skills to pass it. It is about testing your dog's recall (important because we start training off leash on day 1), how he/she copes around other dogs, drive, ability to learn (ie demonstrate a trick) etc. I was very nervous but there is no need to be. They normally only accept up to 10 people but there were 12 in our group and we all got through (that isn't the standard though).

They have a testing day coming up, but they seem to only accept dogs 10 months and older. We will be there :)

I would still email and get your name put on the list or see if you can come to the testing anyway?

Edited by tollersowned

wuffles, I'll add an update to the PM convo we had a couple of months back when I get some time. I went and saw guru with the exact same issue you describe. I'll let you know what she told me to try :)

Thanks RS! :thumbsup:

RS, I'd be interested as well; I'm suffering from the same problem (worse than Wuffle and Ava) My independent little so-and-so will actually take herself off when she gets bored, or just stop and wait for me to return!

wuffles, I'll add an update to the PM convo we had a couple of months back when I get some time. I went and saw guru with the exact same issue you describe. I'll let you know what she told me to try :)

RS, I'd be interested as well; I'm suffering from the same problem (worse than Wuffle and Ava) My independent little so-and-so will actually take herself off when she gets bored, or just stop and wait for me to return!

I can email you too but it sounds like a different problem so the advice I've been given is probably not going to work for you the same way. I have to jump off the computer shortly but when I get a minute I'll type some stuff up for the both of you :)

Edited by RubyStar

I can email you too but it sounds like a different problem so the advice I've been given is probably not going to work for you the same way. I have to jump off the computer shortly but when I get a minute I'll type some stuff up for the both of you :)

Thanks RS. I think it's time for some major retraining in heeling, so I'm going to work out a proper program.

Thanks for the info, since leo will only be 9 months we cant do the testing :(

We have instead started doing some private lessons so i can learn everything properly and we can start doing foundation work with him.

Thanks!

Edit: When I say she loses focus, she doesn't lag, but she will look at something in the environment and get out of position. She always rights herself eventually but it loses lots of points :p

Kivi's focus drifts when he is not anticipating a reward. Getting focus for extended periods is for him a matter of training him to expect a reward any moment and delivering just that little bit before he starts to wonder if he really is going to get his reward. The trick is maintaining that certainty that he WILL be rewarded over an extended period without actually delivering. I whole-heartedly believe that there is an art to this. I suggest you really look at what Ava looks like in her face and body when she is heeling the way you want her to and work out how to get that look. Weave it into your criteria.

The other time his focus drifts is if he is not sure of what he is doing. I mix it up a lot with Kivi. The aim is to teach him that he has to watch me to know where we are going next.

Both Kivi and Erik's focus drifts when they are not entirely comfortable with their environment.

Thanks corvus. I have asked the gurus at my club and they are all convinced that it is my different body language in the ring that is putting her off as she is so sensitive. I think there is an element of that, but she has off days in training too so I think there is something else that I am missing.

I definitely vary my reward schedule and even if she knows I have treats I often have focus issues (for example she will occasionally get one just for sitting at the start peg) but there is probably more I can do in that regard.

To make matters worse she was attacked by a dog yesterday at a mock trial. I got between her and the other dog, so I copped a bite rather than her, so she seems fine if a little more protective of me than usual. But it's not a nice thing to happen at any time let alone in a trial environment that I try to make as positive as possible :rolleyes:

Edited by wuffles

Im baack from my trip away! Have had a good weekend of training time with Rams and must say I am pretty pleased with how well the break from training has gone for him. He stayed with my mum and young brothers and sisters and its done him the world of good! Picked up my gazebo yesterday..Now just need to confirm my partner has Sunday off so I have a buddy with me to video or time in the ring. I am a bundle of nerves just thinking about it lol

Thanks corvus. I have asked the gurus at my club and they are all convinced that it is my different body language in the ring that is putting her off as she is so sensitive. I think there is an element of that, but she has off days in training too so I think there is something else that I am missing.

I definitely vary my reward schedule and even if she knows I have treats I often have focus issues (for example she will occasionally get one just for sitting at the start peg) but there is probably more I can do in that regard.

To make matters worse she was attacked by a dog yesterday at a mock trial. I got between her and the other dog, so I copped a bite rather than her, so she seems fine if a little more protective of me than usual. But it's not a nice thing to happen at any time let alone in a trial environment that I try to make as positive as possible :rolleyes:

Oh no, that is awful I hope you were not badly bittena nd the said dog has been banned. That will not help her for a little while but making sure you don't get worried about other dogs and stay confident will help her a lot.

My Dobe used to look at me like I had three heads because I used to get so nervous in the trial ring, I find I don't get so worried with the Whippets for some reason - maybe because I have two and don't have the time?

Well I went ahead and entered states, glad to give my money and entry also more than happy to withdraw if he isn't ready. However on Thursday we had such a good heeling session down at K9, the duration,focus and position were great and there were dogs doing agility nearby, States is 6 weeks away so I thought why not? :thumbsup:

I just have to say stands and me don't get along at all! I think we are finally starting to get them... I will be starting the steady feet game soon (from a sit) and working from there.

How do you warm your dog up for training? Like most of us, chances are you don't. Many's the time I seen dogs do their best work outside the ring and by the time it's your turn the dog has completely switched off. It's something you have to train for and it's worth practicing getting your dog out of the car or crate and doing a real quick warm up...a quick bit of doodling and into the ring (train it with just the start peg) and getting some terrific attention. Reward big time and work from there.

How do you guys warm your dog up to go in the ring on the day? I dont want to over do it and get in the ring and he be bored.

Also- Anyone else going to Brush Farm this Sunday?

Dogs..Great teachers! Ill be ready for anything a baby throws at me whenever that time comes :laugh: 3rd time in the last few months of the runs from one end of the back room to the other! Love the smell of poo in the morning :mad:laugh: Off to the vet this morning for a quick once over because he was a bit off. Got some scourban and he will be right as rain by Friday.