Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

huski, you'd have a tonne of fun training Ruby. Her handler is the one that sometimes lets her down :)

Hmmm, sounds like Ruby and Daisy have the same problem :laugh:

I'll swap you ;)

OK then :D I keep trying to palm Ruby off to others, oh and Millie, 2 for 1 deal ;)

Lol I will take Ruby any day even though she is female ;)

You just want her cos she's yellow (or is that blonde? :D)

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Rubystar - MOnday night training will be back on very very very soon. Settlement is in 21 days :laugh:

Woot woot! I had the pleasure of Bedazzled's company tonight which was unexpected. She was 5 minutes too late, I stole her spot :D

So are you all excited to move again?!

Edited by RubyStar

Here's a challenge for you RubyStar.....can you show her the i squeak in your right hand and keep it in view and she maintain heel position? Big ask but an interesting training challenge. Remember, baby steps...split don't lump! You can mark great position and release her to the thrown ball. I do it with food and tuggy and its a great reminder to him to maintain position.

Never say never - I have seen the same with high prey drive dogs but if you can harness it and teach them self control and to think the through the arousal the results are amazing!

ETA: I would love to crate Daisy or put her on a tie out before going in the ring but she is a terrible barker and yesterday at the trial we got told off after coming out of the ring, Daisy gave a single 'woof' and some people next to us cracked the shits because there was a dog in the ring in front of us :D barking dogs at trials obviously don't go down well :)

Yes, I know, if I put in the work I could probably make it happen, especially with Ruby. Her face lights up like a christmas tree when I ask her to heel and she has an inkling that the i-squeak is in my pocket (I swear they know the smell of them!) but she forges in anticipation of it being thrown. Millie simply cannot take any instruction when faced with i-squeak or dinner bowl. She works best for praise, play and mundane treats.

Ruby tugs, but I haven't harnessed it and don't really want to, she hasn't got a soft mouth for retrieving as it is so at this present time, I don't want to encourage it. Though using an i-squeak won't help that soft mouth either :laugh: Millie doesn't tug, but I'm sure with some work and the right tug toy, I could get her to.

As for barking dogs, Millie is a terrible barker when she's not being worked so I can't tie her out or crate her either. I lock her in the car and close the door and she goes bananas in there :D If a dog woofs once or twice (ie. not a consistent nuisance barker), tell the triallers to get over it, they should be proofing for that too ;) Ruby has missed positions due to being distracted by a barking dog, but what can you do ;) Besides more proofing! ;)

ETA: Some of the stewards at the trial yesterday were trying to tell me that I wanted my dog to be calm when in the ring. I was like, that's the opposite of what I train for :laugh: I don't want calm, I'd lose her to all the smells on the ground :D

Dont listen to them huski. Get to the higher levels and it is the up dogs that are working/scoring well. They have learnt to channel the enthusiasm. Coco goes nuts between exercises but settles and focuses for the work. I now have judges saying "Isnt it wonderful to see such an enthusiastic dog?" As for Sunday those grounds are fairly heavy on the distractions as it is so Daisy did great for her first trial - and so did her handler.

I've been trialling for over 20 years and I still get nervous so the fact that you were nervous at your first is nothing. Its really just the adrenaline having its way with you ;) ;)

ETA: Some of the stewards at the trial yesterday were trying to tell me that I wanted my dog to be calm when in the ring. I was like, that's the opposite of what I train for :D I don't want calm, I'd lose her to all the smells on the ground ;)

Dont listen to them huski. Get to the higher levels and it is the up dogs that are working/scoring well. They have learnt to channel the enthusiasm. Coco goes nuts between exercises but settles and focuses for the work. I now have judges saying "Isnt it wonderful to see such an enthusiastic dog?" As for Sunday those grounds are fairly heavy on the distractions as it is so Daisy did great for her first trial - and so did her handler.

I've been trialling for over 20 years and I still get nervous so the fact that you were nervous at your first is nothing. Its really just the adrenaline having its way with you ;) :D

Thanks Kath! Coco is brilliant to watch... you can tell she is having heaps of fun!

I couldn't believe it when someone kicked a soccer ball over into the UD (or was it Open) ring :) lucky it didn't go in too far!

Here's a vid of Daisy from last night, we were just doing some doodling heelwork but she was nice and drivey and was enjoying it!

Am going to upload the rest of Seita's UD round tonight :laugh:

Finally had some success with the start of 2 x 2 weavers (I make it sound like I have been trying for years when really it has only been Monday nights for the last 3 weeks ;) ). I also came home and watched the first 2 chapters of the 2 x 2 DVD so i now know that I am on the right track.

The problem I had with Cider was that she has been so heavily rewarded for sitting and watching me that she just didn't offer any behaviours, didn't look at the poles she would just sit there and watch me. So last night I started with the box and was clicking and treating her for moving towards the box and very quickly we worked up to her going several metres to sit in the box (which was actually just 4 weave poles laying on the ground.) I then moved to the 2 x 2 poles and she started offering moving towards the poles - so I rewarded her with her i-squeak and very quickly she got the hang of running between the poles. :laugh: :D

Need to watch the rest of the DVD to see where to go from here ;)

With Cider being so young how short do you keep her training sessions? I am just looking for some guidelines, i dont work Mason for very long at a time and I wonder if I am keeping it too short?

Obedience - her sessions are very short - she would be out of the car for less than 5 minutes at any one time - but she would have 3 or 4 of these if I had taken her to K9. I also don't tend to get her out and stand around talking while she is on a lead - she comes out we do something and then she goes away and then I go and talk. When i get her out I expect her to give me 100% attention and in return she gets 100% of mine :laugh:

Agility wise - the beginners go for an hour - but I am usually only doing things with her for 30 minutes at most and only a couple of minutes on each bit of equipment.

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping for some suggestions.

I have a Dane...they're fun to train LOL

So, it's taken quite some time....like 12 months to get to where we have with the dumbell which is I can throw it out, he'll go and get it and then bring it back and spit it at my feet.

I have tried and tried getting him to hold it but for some reason I can't communicate that to him.

I never pick the dumbell off the ground but I have to grab it quickly before he spits it.

I'm thinking of maybe getting him to try and hold a softer item?

Danes aren't the kind of Breed you can do alot of repetition with, right now he really enjoys the exercise so I have to be careful because he can very easily begin to not like it!

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping for some suggestions.

I have a Dane...they're fun to train LOL

So, it's taken quite some time....like 12 months to get to where we have with the dumbell which is I can throw it out, he'll go and get it and then bring it back and spit it at my feet.

I have tried and tried getting him to hold it but for some reason I can't communicate that to him.

I never pick the dumbell off the ground but I have to grab it quickly before he spits it.

I'm thinking of maybe getting him to try and hold a softer item?

Danes aren't the kind of Breed you can do alot of repetition with, right now he really enjoys the exercise so I have to be careful because he can very easily begin to not like it!

Sas - will he sit in front of you and hold it - thats where I would be starting, slowing increasing the hold time, taking it and rewarding heavily.

With Cider being so young how short do you keep her training sessions? I am just looking for some guidelines, i dont work Mason for very long at a time and I wonder if I am keeping it too short?

Obedience - her sessions are very short - she would be out of the car for less than 5 minutes at any one time - but she would have 3 or 4 of these if I had taken her to K9. I also don't tend to get her out and stand around talking while she is on a lead - she comes out we do something and then she goes away and then I go and talk. When i get her out I expect her to give me 100% attention and in return she gets 100% of mine :laugh:

Agility wise - the beginners go for an hour - but I am usually only doing things with her for 30 minutes at most and only a couple of minutes on each bit of equipment.

Yeah at home and at the park across the rd I tend to keep his sessions short say like 10 or 15 minutes max, and I will sort of do one exercise, then throw his ball for awhile, then maybe do another etc etc. I find that he has a very short concentration span.

Sas - will he sit in front of you and hold it - thats where I would be starting, slowing increasing the hold time, taking it and rewarding heavily.

Nope, he'll chew it for about 1.5 seconds and then spit it.

Mine will do the same and if i have food reward he spits it as soon as he gets to me

Which is why he wont bring it back and hold it - bless him :laugh:

Some more questions.......(I too have a breed who don't do repetitions well)

When you hand him the dumbbell and the second he starts chewing it - do you ever take it off him withdraw your attention for a second and then ask him to hold it again - or would this be enough for him to tell you to stick it up your jumper? Have you tried using a clicker and C/T the second he takes the dumbbell off you and before he starts chewing?

I would be looking at using his dinner as his reward - splitting his dinner into 10 parts and if I got a 1 second hold without chewing he would get 1/10 of his meal.

Which is why he wont bring it back and hold it - bless him :laugh:

Some more questions.......(I too have a breed who don't do repetitions well)

When you hand him the dumbbell and the second he starts chewing it - do you ever take it off him withdraw your attention for a second and then ask him to hold it again - or would this be enough for him to tell you to stick it up your jumper? Have you tried using a clicker and C/T the second he takes the dumbbell off you and before he starts chewing?

I would be looking at using his dinner as his reward - splitting his dinner into 10 parts and if I got a 1 second hold without chewing he would get 1/10 of his meal.

He chews it the whole way bringing it back but I haven't stopped him doing it yet as he's actually bringing it back! LOL

I'll have a go at what you suggest :laugh: I can't really do the dinner bit though as he gets 6 pieces of goat and mashed potatoes which is kinda hard to use as a treat LOL

Edited by sas

I'll have a go at what you suggest :laugh: I can't really do the dinner bit though as he gets 6 pieces of goat and mashed potatoes which is kinda hard to use as a treat LOL

Getover it - if Caffy can do raw brains in her pocket you can have a container with goat and mashed potato in it and give him a handful every time he gets it right :laugh:

Getover it - if Caffy can do raw brains in her pocket you can have a container with goat and mashed potato in it and give him a handful every time he gets it right :laugh:

It's an elimination diet...he doesn't really see the potato as a reward if you get my meaning LOL

I sometimes have a container with his raw roo mince, Mason loves any meat raw or cooked.

Sas dont know if this would help but what I did with Masons roo mince is that I took a bit, rolled them in balls and baked it on a non stick baking tray, I have not seen the goat so I have no idea what texture it is?? but maybe you want to give it a try.