Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Here's a challenge for you RubyStar.....can you show her the i squeak in your right hand and keep it in view and she maintain heel position? Big ask but an interesting training challenge. Remember, baby steps...split don't lump! You can mark great position and release her to the thrown ball. I do it with food and tuggy and its a great reminder to him to maintain position.

Currently, no :laugh: But a challenge I am willing to take on! Last night I gave her a verbal encouragement coming out of a nice tight RAT (which is rare) and she took that to mean I was about to throw the ball, so dashed out in front of me :laugh: Little minx :) I need to teach her maintain position with that ball or you get no ball! Cos right now it's causing some messy (but very enthusiastic) work!

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The problem I had with Cider was that she has been so heavily rewarded for sitting and watching me that she just didn't offer any behaviours, didn't look at the poles she would just sit there and watch me.

This is Millie. I started 2x2 with her the other night and she would just sit there looking at me :laugh: I can tell she's going to be a challenge to teach weaving to! I haven't progressed any further than 6 with Ruby because I only own 8 poles :laugh: She's still only about 50% with her 6 poles though so more work to be done!

The problem I had with Cider was that she has been so heavily rewarded for sitting and watching me that she just didn't offer any behaviours, didn't look at the poles she would just sit there and watch me.

This is Millie. I started 2x2 with her the other night and she would just sit there looking at me :laugh: I can tell she's going to be a challenge to teach weaving to! I haven't progressed any further than 6 with Ruby because I only own 8 poles :) She's still only about 50% with her 6 poles though so more work to be done!

In relation to Millie - Susan G says to do what essentially what Ptolomy did with Cider - take the dog elsewhere, and do some trick training - something you don't particularly care about - just to get the dog offering behaviours going away from you and getting rewarded - so the 101 things to do with a box or something like that. Just to get the ball rolling, so to speak.

I was lucky in that I was able to get Rory offering fairly soon - but I did mark and reward for just looking at the poles at first, then for moving towards them, and then once he was moving through, that was all that got rewarded.

Hey Ptolomy - are you ready for the Cider Bear to be weaving properly pretty soon - cos that's what happens :laugh: - why I left starting Rory for so long (well, one reason). In about 12 or 14 very short sessions, he's giving me a rolling 4 + 4 - I haven't got proper 2s, so I cheated. Once I got the 4 happening nicely - put another 4 away a bit but in line. Tonight will see if that happens again, and bring them closer.

And yes - I need to do more proofing for handler movement too.

Interesting I spent lots of time proofing my high of arc entries before I went to adding to many poles. By the end I could stand at the far end of the 12 poles and send her in and she would nail the entries. Neat party trick not sure if she could still manage it at the moment mind you :champagne: . I also found what worked nicely was to get started. I think we worked up to 6 poles from memory. I then gave the dog a break of about a month and then brought her back and did a refresh from the beginning. It gave me nice solid weavers which seemed to generalise well to other sets of poles and a behavior which seems to not break down if we don't train it for a little while.

With Cider being so young how short do you keep her training sessions? I am just looking for some guidelines, i dont work Mason for very long at a time and I wonder if I am keeping it too short?

Obedience - her sessions are very short - she would be out of the car for less than 5 minutes at any one time - but she would have 3 or 4 of these if I had taken her to K9. I also don't tend to get her out and stand around talking while she is on a lead - she comes out we do something and then she goes away and then I go and talk. When i get her out I expect her to give me 100% attention and in return she gets 100% of mine :mad

Agility wise - the beginners go for an hour - but I am usually only doing things with her for 30 minutes at most and only a couple of minutes on each bit of equipment.

Yeah at home and at the park across the rd I tend to keep his sessions short say like 10 or 15 minutes max, and I will sort of do one exercise, then throw his ball for awhile, then maybe do another etc etc. I find that he has a very short concentration span.

I struggle with my attention span :champagne: . Training at home I'll do maybe 5 minutes, at club training I take breaks and put the dogs away if I need to.

Hey Ptolomy - are you ready for the Cider Bear to be weaving properly pretty soon - cos that's what happens :champagne: - why And yes - I need to do more proofing for handler movement too.

Tassie I think I would have to be doing it a little more often than once a week. 20 more days and I can have weavers/Aframe/jumps/obedience ring permanently set up in the backyard training area :mad

Duration heelwork is on the menu again for tonight :worship:

Hey Ptolomy - are you ready for the Cider Bear to be weaving properly pretty soon - cos that's what happens ;) - why And yes - I need to do more proofing for handler movement too.

Ah yes, but then Cider has a super trainer (you can blush now :grouphug: ) and she is a super smart little cookie :cry: ) - but actually, it's amazing how quickly they learn what it's about. I'm seeing it - but I still can't believe it. :cry:

Tassie I think I would have to be doing it a little more often than once a week. 20 more days and I can have weavers/Aframe/jumps/obedience ring permanently set up in the backyard training area :cry:

Oh that is sooooo not fair. I have an acre and a quarter - but most of it is sloping - so only a small flat area. So I'm getting to the stage that I need to pack the weavers into the car and take them somewhere else to get enough distance off them - and room for handler movement. And I'm struggling to get a 5 jump grid in.

Duration heelwork is on the menu again for tonight :(

Hmmm - I should have been doing boring stays (as distinct from ones where I/m moving. Any tips for developing these??

Hey Ptolomy - are you ready for the Cider Bear to be weaving properly pretty soon - cos that's what happens ;) - why And yes - I need to do more proofing for handler movement too.

Tassie I think I would have to be doing it a little more often than once a week. 20 more days and I can have weavers/Aframe/jumps/obedience ring permanently set up in the backyard training area :cry:

Duration heelwork is on the menu again for tonight :cry:

Wow, 20 more days and I know where I'm heading to do my training :grouphug:

Edited by RubyStar

Wow, 20 more days and I know where I'm heading to do my training :grouphug:

And that is unfair too, RS - don't rub it in :cry::cry: You guys are so lucky to live in the home of great dog training in Oz.

;) Somehow I don't think Ptolomy's backyard will be a free for all, unless you own a red kid, but maybe if I bribe her with lots and lots of chocolate brownies.... :(:cry: