Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Still partially frozen....I bring a freezer brick in my training eski and keep the sardines on top of that until I need them. I am using the Albany sardines and they are quite big so tend to stay frozen a bit longer. I don't reckon your a real trainer until you've had something squishy and yuck in your pocket!!!! :laugh:

....and I have raw whole sardines in my pocket!!!!

I thought that was your new perfume :laugh: Hmm we need to compare sardine notes I think - mine tend to go all squishy when they defrost and are definitely not suitable for putting in my pocket. Are yours still partly frozen?

Have to teach her that taking the jump on the way to the box does not score bonus points, though .....

Rubystar you must be lumping again :D

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Training duration heelwork is a necessary evil :laugh: I am talking about no positions just heelwork with the dog looking up and paying 100% attention. If the dog drops its head or loses attention you stop.

What are peoples thoughts on how much is enough duration training? So if you were doing this with your dog, time wise when would you say yep my dog can heel for xxxx amount of time I am happy with this.

I have done 2 1/2 minutes with my older kids when I was building duration, but I found that I had had enough by then - I know a lot of people who do more than this, but what is the consensus amongst others?

:laugh: a certain WA guru once suggested to me something like 6 minutes and I have been well intentioned but it always seems to fade. I could never build it up that long. I think I have got about as far as 30 seconds with Ness :laugh: . Edited by ness

I've only managed to get to a minute and a half of duration heelwork before I got bored so rewarded her. I know I should go for longer but honestly walking in circles in a park is not my idea of fun! I'd rather do a bit of a heel pattern either without positions (so just heeling and turns) to mix it up a bit.

A suggestion from another list I am on is to spell out your dog's name in heelwork! Makes it a bit more interesting than just circles but I guess it depends on how long is your dogs name!!!! Hmmm going for the registered name or pet name!!!!???? Could get interesting once you start adding the obedience and agility letters!!!!

I've only managed to get to a minute and a half of duration heelwork before I got bored so rewarded her. I know I should go for longer but honestly walking in circles in a park is not my idea of fun! I'd rather do a bit of a heel pattern either without positions (so just heeling and turns) to mix it up a bit.

A suggestion from another list I am on is to spell out your dog's name in heelwork! Makes it a bit more interesting than just circles but I guess it depends on how long is your dogs name!!!! Hmmm going for the registered name or pet name!!!!???? Could get interesting once you start adding the obedience and agility letters!!!!

and their nicknames when they drop scent articles at your feet :laugh:

OOooooh!!! I think you might guess that one!!!!! I might use that one a few times!!!!

and their nicknames when they drop scent articles at your feet :laugh:

Training duration heelwork is a necessary evil :laugh: I am talking about no positions just heelwork with the dog looking up and paying 100% attention. If the dog drops its head or loses attention you stop.

What are peoples thoughts on how much is enough duration training? So if you were doing this with your dog, time wise when would you say yep my dog can heel for xxxx amount of time I am happy with this.

I have done 2 1/2 minutes with my older kids when I was building duration, but I found that I had had enough by then - I know a lot of people who do more than this, but what is the consensus amongst others?

Lol Mason has no duration heeling, he tends to still lose focus and so I only aim for short bursts at this stage, should I be forcing him to heel for longer ? If so how long must I aim for with him?

Lol Mason has no duration heeling, he tends to still lose focus and so I only aim for short bursts at this stage, should I be forcing him to heel for longer ? If so how long must I aim for with him?

Personally I wouldn't be forcing him to heel longer - don't ask him to run before he can walk! :laugh: What do you do now when he loses focus?

Edited by huski

I agree with Huski - I don't think he is ready for duration heeling yet. Cider had absolutely lovely heeling and attention before I started duration last week - basically I am now asking her to increase the length of time she does it.

As a matter of interest if you took half a dozen staps and Mason was inattentive what would you do?

I agree with Huski - I don't think he is ready for duration heeling yet. Cider had absolutely lovely heeling and attention before I started duration last week - basically I am now asking her to increase the length of time she does it.

As a matter of interest if you took half a dozen staps and Mason was inattentive what would you do?

I then stand still and tell him ' too bad' then he knows he has done something wrong, he usually then returns and sits in front of me until we start training something else, sometimes it doesnt work though and he carries on sniffing the floor, I then go up to him, give him a little poke and try and get him to look at me again.

I then stand still and tell him ' too bad' then he knows he has done something wrong, he usually then returns and sits in front of me until we start training something else, sometimes it doesnt work though and he carries on sniffing the floor, I then go up to him, give him a little poke and try and get him to look at me again.

When is your next special group training lesson???

Okay my circle heel work I do isn't duration heel work as I still reward frequently, it's fun though :laugh: . My dogs could both definitely handle starting duration heel work so I must add that to my long list of things to train.

Not sure actually..... look Mason is not as bad as he was and he heels way better now than he did, I just need to work out how long I should be asking him to heel for etc..

I gotta training talk brag :laugh: . Caught up for an impromptu UD training session with Rivsky this evening - only decided on the spur of the moment. I wanted to do a seekback and directed jumping with Ness. Well we set the gear up and then spotted a huge pile of bread just near where the startpeg was. Knowing how foodie Ness is I thought it could pose a bit of an issue. As I sent her for her seekback she shot off towards where the bread was located at a million miles an hour and seriously thought about it but I interrupted her with a nope your working and she then went back to finding her seekback and absolutely nailed it and then nailed 2 directed jumps before being rewarded. Wahoo my Ness girl can work when there is food around :D .

ETA. Tiggy I tend to get carried away and train agility if given half a chance but have been trying to be good and do more obedience training :D .

Edited by ness

How many steps can he do with full attention before he drops out? That is your mean. Build from there and yo yo for a bit to see how he copes. Only start on duration when you know he can hold focus and understands heel position. I wouldn't even use a NRM at this early stage...just realise he's not there yet and work on attention.

Not sure actually..... look Mason is not as bad as he was and he heels way better now than he did, I just need to work out how long I should be asking him to heel for etc..