Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

My Canine News came today :)
Well there you go! RS must've sensed it was on it's way :D

Might have to skip agility tonight, I might be at home reading my Canine News! ;) (oh gosh what a sad little life I lead...)

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To answer your question Ptolomy - I aim for about 1.5 to 2 minutes of duration heelwork... Duration heelwork practice was one of the best things I ever did for Jedi.

So I guess the next question is - how often do you do duration heelwork and do you do anything else at that training session?

For me its 3 times a week and NO duration is all I do.

I do two duration heelwork sessions per week (if duration is a particular problem that week I might do more) and that's all I do in that session.

It takes you that long to read?! :)

Yes it does.

Okay well that's awkward :D

Are you really wagging tonight? If you aren't then I'm buying gloves on the way home because it is soooo cold outside.

It takes you that long to read?! :D

Yes it does.

Okay well that's awkward :confused:

Are you really wagging tonight? If you aren't then I'm buying gloves on the way home because it is soooo cold outside.

:D I was being silly :D

But I do like to read most things... couldn't give a rats about others, though :D

My favourite page is page 37, right-hand column :thumbsup:

Edited by RubyStar

We have a few, but at this rate, poor Millie will never get her CCD!

Need to save her for the Royal and the States :D

That's ages away! And all for the possibility we may still bomb out :D :thumbsup:

I mightn't have a choice if we have some bad luck runs! :eek: I know those all too well!!

There aren't all that many agility trials either - not such a bad thing really.

I've been asked to join a team for the Royal with Kyzer but still can't decide whether to do it or not.

Oooh that's exciting, Amy! Yeah go on! Who wants to team with you?

I'm still not decided if I'm going to attempt the Royal yet. If I did it would probably be just with Millie, but she barks her head off if I crate her and walk away :thumbsup:

The crowds worry me but then he was pretty good at the nationals final which was pretty full on, it was just that I stuffed him up :thumbsup: He did stand and look around at the people with a confused look on his face for a few seconds though :eek:

Also the other three people are really good and are way ahead of us so I feel like we would let them down!

The others are Tracey with Chester the Sheltie, Deb with Maggie the Kelpie, and Tracey with Taz (I think) the Border Collie.

I'm still not decided if I'm going to attempt the Royal yet. If I did it would probably be just with Millie, but she barks her head off if I crate her and walk away :D

You've still got over a month to decide.

Edited by amypie

The crowds worry me but then he was pretty good at the nationals final which was pretty full on, it was just that I stuffed him up :thumbsup: He did stand and look around at the people with a confused look on his face for a few seconds though :eek:

Also the other three people are really good and are way ahead of us so I feel like we would let them down!

The others are Tracey with Chester the Sheltie, Deb with Maggie the Kelpie, and Tracey with Taz (I think) the Border Collie.

I'm still not decided if I'm going to attempt the Royal yet. If I did it would probably be just with Millie, but she barks her head off if I crate her and walk away :D

You've still got over a month to decide.

Agility day at the Royal is the worst day to enter for a newby - I haven't done teams for a couple of years. People are lined up at the gate at 5am to get a spot under the tent and I have to say it really is wall to wall dogs/crates/people/chairs. It did help when they put the extra tend along the fenceline - but that tent gets the afternoon sun - so be warned.

Obedience day there is plenty of room - but from memory in past years vetting was first thing in the morning which meant most of the dogs had to sit around all day before they were on.

Agility day at the Royal is the worst day to enter for a newby - I haven't done teams for a couple of years. People are lined up at the gate at 5am to get a spot under the tent and I have to say it really is wall to wall dogs/crates/people/chairs. It did help when they put the extra tend along the fenceline - but that tent gets the afternoon sun - so be warned.

This is what worries me also - lack of space - and having to be locked in all day.

Don't think I'll do it. But I would like to participate in other team events, now I'll have to try and find a team for those! :thumbsup:

This is what worries me also - lack of space - and having to be locked in all day.

Don't think I'll do it. But I would like to participate in other team events, now I'll have to try and find a team for those! :thumbsup:

Amypie it is worth doing - just wanted to warn you of the set-up. Agility at the Royal gets the biggest crowds - much bigger than the Agility National Finals. with kids sitting on the ring ropes eating all sorts. You do have the option of sitting on the other side of the road near where they show the sheep, you wont see the ring from there, but you will have more room.

I think the Classic would probably be the next team event.

We had our jumping debut and novice obedience debut at last year's Melbourne Royal. It was a VERY long day - especially for jumping where we were only entered in one run......and had to wait until 5pm for it!!! If I enter this year I will enter as many runs as we are capable of just to make the day go faster :thumbsup: