Results From A Dual Sired Litter ?

Stolzseinrotts

Further to the Dual Sired Litter Thread.

I am curious to ask those that have done a dual sired litter or know of people who have and what were the results?

Please specify the number of pups and numbers for which Sires. How far apart time wise were the breedings done. And any other information that would be of benefit ie; breed etc.

I am considering this option down the track, I know of a number of dual sired natural and or frozen breedings that have resulted in good size litters (Rottweilers) but all the pups have been from one sire only.

Does anybody know of a database that would have such results on file?

I look forward to the replies. Thank you.

Edited for clarity........

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

Guest Baylord

Our dual sired litter produced 5 pups all up.

This was a natural "surprise" mating, I might add the only one we have ever had, and something that still surprises me, as my boy used to fall asleep in the middle of the "deed" so I am still trying to work out as to how he managed it.

I have to assume that this event took place over 1 night, because as soon as I realised the boys were a bit highly strung because the girl had started a very unobvious season I locked them up separately.

5 pups were the result.

1 from 1 boy and 3 from the other. The last pup was tested as she had died before this could be done. With her colour though I can only assume she was from the the first sire who sired 1.

But in saying that, this litter taught me never to assume anything - so who knows!

I have a friend in the USA who had a dual litter.

Dog #1 was the planned mating and dog #2 helped himself :laugh: 24 hours later.

DNA result was 2 puppies per Sire, also just looking at the puppies you could tell who were siblings. :laugh:

My 1st Dual Sire litter was born 11/12/09.

We mated the girl (Pug) over 4 days, morning to one boy and evening to the other. 7 pups born, lost 3. Of the 4 left we had 3 from one Dad and 1 from the other Dad.

Looking at the babies growing up we guessed the Dad of 3 of then by looks and personality, the 4th pup we were wrong.

My 2nd Dual Sire litter was born 19/12/09. Same mating ritual. 3 pups born, 1 survived. We guessed her Dad correctly. The two still born I am 90% sure were the same Dad and the girl that survived as all pups were very similar and the two Dads are quite different.

The 3 from Dad 1:

post-5267-1266546387_thumb.jpg

post-5267-1266546395_thumb.jpg

post-5267-1266546403_thumb.jpg

and the 1 from Dad 2:

post-5267-1266546442_thumb.jpg

A friend in Finland did a dual-sired litter. Natural breeding from male #1 and a frozen implant from male #2. All seven puppies were the offspring of male #2.

Out of interest MM was the frozen AI transcervical or Surgical and what was the sequence ? ie AI then natural

Cheers Kate

A friend in Finland did a dual-sired litter. Natural breeding from male #1 and a frozen implant from male #2. All seven puppies were the offspring of male #2.

Out of interest MM was the frozen AI transcervical or Surgical and what was the sequence ? ie AI then natural

Cheers Kate

Natural cover was first, surgical implant of the frozen was second. I believe the matings were one day apart, but I can check with my friend to be sure.

Because in a rare breed esp,and you have a large/giant breed,you cant mate before 18 mths,and by 5/6 they are more than middle aged.To increase the gene pool quickly,this is a great way to do it.I only breed a bitch twice,maybe a third time if they only have small litters.

I will certainly be planning dual sired litters for the 2 young girls down the track,and may even be doing one at the end of this year.

I have plans in about two years to do a dual sired litter. I too have limited gene pool and both sires will be frozen semen brought in from my lines that I had in Canada. Because importing dogs is costly and stressful for both humans and beasties..I'd rather bring in the semen, however I don't like breeding my girls more than one or two times, so this way I can have the best of all worlds by getting my lines back and not stressing out a bitch by forcing her to have more litters than needed.

Both sires via Frozen semen. 11 pups in total ( one lost at 48hrs) From 10 DNA tested, genetic split - 6 pups to one sire and 4 to the other.

Congratulations on a great size litter. A couple of questions for you. With the semen was the post thaw motility the same for both sires. Did you use pellets or straws and how many were used.

Regards

Good questions Schwarzbear and good to see you here. :shrug:

For those of you that used frozen semen can you let us know what method of collection was used eg; Camelot or other , whether it was imported or local and the post thaw motility counts and volumes required.

Thank you, looking forward to further information. :laugh:

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

Why would anyone want to bother with dual sires for one litter.....?

Next thing you know we will have poodle bitches having half spoodles and half labradoodles......

As has been stated, dual sires allows breeders to utilise their bitches further without having to have many many litters. It is a great tool that is now available to breeders and one that is being used worldwide with success.

What has cross breeding got to do with this thread??????

This is a pure breed forum and I seriously doubt, in fact I am bloody sure a puppy farmer or cross breeder or what ever you wish to call them would not invest in doing a dual sire litter the correct and proven way (DNA).

Edited for clarity

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

• 2 weeks later...

This is an interesting subject, interests me because I don't like to breed often and doing it this way would get 2 litters in 1 so to speak.

A dumb question;

How do you go about registering a litter with dual sire's. I realise all dogs will need to be dna profiled which I am already in the process of doing, what I mean is on the registration form where it asks for sire's info. Is there a separate form for dual sire's?